Songwriter Forum > The Bar

FAWM - Area for songs, discussion and therapy!!!

(1/13) > >>

Martinswede:
Physician, shrink, psychic, they might all advice against it. For some reason I decided to go for it. Anyone with experience?

I first thought 2h/day would be a good aim but then I read about the forum and community and other internet related stuff. This will take both time and work by the look of it.

Martin

Neil C:
Hi,
Its a wild ride. and you kind of need to understand how it works and what your strategy is?
Its a very fast moving and hugely enthusiastic environment, so you need to work out how much time you spend reviewing others and whether you want to collaborate with others.
Good luck.
 :)
neil

Boydie:
To all of those much braver than me - I thought it would be useful to have another FAWM sticky to host all discussion and songs (and therapy sessions) for all things FAWM 2018

Good luck everyone and see you on the other side... 

Martinswede:
Thanks Boydie for making it a sticky! I saw the 2017 sticky and thought it was time to mention the subject...

Mostly I'm wondering if 48h-48h-48h etc for every song is the advised tactic or a more loose 3 1/2 songs a week?

I believe a fast pace will lower the quality and touch of my own personality in my songs but nothing says they are completely finished the last of February. I can keep working on them. If I get two good songs out of 14 attempts I still end up with twice as many songs as I regularly write a month. (But twice a small number is still a small number.)

Good luck to all who dare!

Martin

PaulAds:
Firstly...apologies for not being around much of late. I thought I’d post this just to show how I’m trying to do it

I’ve done song 1 tonight...thought of a guitar riff...recorded it into my iPhone then tried to come up with a lyric idea. Picked a fab Alan Bennett play that I’m particularly fond of called “say something happened” so went with that. It’s pretty sad. You probably guessed as much. I wrote a load of lines yesterday and tried to get a tune going. Fired up GarageBand and expanded a little on the riff, picked a few drum loops that suited, recorded acoustic guitar and added a simple bassline and uploaded the bare arsed version to my Dropbox. I played it loads today as I was driving around working out a melody and once I’d settled on a definite structure, picked out a few lines to keep and knocked them into shape. Got home and cut/pasted the original track to accommodate the structure. I’m a bit gutted as I couldn’t really expand on the lyric ideas that I’d hoped to fit in...but I’m happy enough with what I kept. I recorded a one-take vocal and left it at that.

I was a bit of a mug last year...killing myself with almost finished versions of lots of full arrangements...that was really intense...so this year, I’ve decided to take it a bit easier and not try as hard. Also, last year, I had a few ideas I was able to use, whereas this year, I’m really starting from scratch. That was part of the attraction, I suppose. Might even do a few simple acoustic + vocal numbers.

I’ve been recording little riffs into my phone for a few days now...hoping to find a few things I can turn into songs. I need to relax more with my lyrics and just write stuff I don’t think much of. No point killing myself. If I have a few songs that turn out ok...I’ll be happy and I can work on them more at a later date. If I feel so inclined.

FAWM is a bit terrifying, to be honest.

Anyway...the song is here

https://soundcloud.com/thefuneralcrasher/say-something-happened

I’m going to try to stick to this fawmula...one day for ideas and brain-storming lyrics etc, then one day to consolidate and record it.

And if I fail, it’s fine. I’ve been failing all my life. I feel no shame.

Ps if you can, check out the audiobook version of “say something happened” with Brian Wilde, Thora Hird and Imelda Staunton. It’s a heartbreaker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version