konalavadome

Would you consider investing in my music for an advertising experiment? Cost= £5

• 11 Replies

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« on: January 17, 2018, 06:01:33 PM »
Hi guys

So I had this idea. It would take some work on my part to put together but ...

I would write and record a song and upload it to bandcamp for sale.

I would then use Facebook advertising promotional tools to market the song to potential customers.

We would advertise for 24 or 48 hours with a set budget of £50.

Where does the £50 come from? I put in £5 and nine other forum users put in £5.

At the end of the day or two campaign we split all net revenue ten ways and I share all of the analytics with the forum (how many times the song was preview listened to, how many people bought the song, how many people engaged with the advertisement, how much gross and net revenue was made).

What would you get out of it?
A little bit of fun.
The chance to make money (though there's a real chance you wouldn't recuperate your investment)
Statistical information
Knowledge of whether social media advertising can make a song commercially viable with a small amount of money

This might be a bad idea, I don't know. I just wanted to open it up to the floor.

Would you like to invest £5 along with nine others to see how a facebook ad for a singer songwriter original song would pan out?

Let me know below.

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:29:21 PM »
With the risk of sounding negative, old and utterly boring, I'd have to say I do not believe in FB ads and don't think they'll do you any good.

I'd say that have to go for most social media ads out there.

The facts have not changed, for a song to make it, it has to be crazy good. It has not and probably never will change. For sure, an ad won't change a thing. All and ad would do for you is to take your money. So be careful.

Again, I get you probably know this already and just wanted to check it out for the fun of it. Still, I just felt an urge to give you my stance on it, in case you or anyone else don't know.

So sorry, it's a no from me.

All the best,

Peter

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 06:34:44 PM »
With the risk of sounding negative, old and utterly boring, I'd have to say I do not believe in FB ads and don't think they'll do you any good.

I'd say that have to go for most social media ads out there.

The facts have not changed, for a song to make it, it has to be crazy good. It has not and probably never will change. For sure, an ad won't change a thing. All and ad would do for you is to take your money. So be careful.

Again, I get you probably know this already and just wanted to check it out for the fun of it. Still, I just felt an urge to give you my stance on it, in case you or anyone else don't know.

So sorry, it's a no from me.

All the best,

Peter

I'll make this happen without you Peter!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:08 PM »
I actually have tried this. I did get boatloads more views and a few more comments, but that was it.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:13:58 AM »
No harm to you mate but you're living in fucking dream land

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »
Have you a preview of the song you intend to use Hooded?
No I don't have the song yet, I'd want it to be a new one and my best work.

It had occurred to me to make the product before pitching for investment but I just wanted to gauge interest in the concept.

It doesn't look like there's much appetite for it. Which is totally cool, I'd be weary of giving money to a stranger on the internet too.

I may stump up a more modest sum myself just for the fun and curiosity of it and still share the results.

I've spitballed/doodled a little bit, just began working on it, some or all of which might get cut but:

"tell me I'm wrong
tell me I'm right
let the morning sun decide"

Potentially a chorus or placeholder chorus?

And;

It's the gift I have to give
It's the smile that you take
I'm always caught in-between who I am
And what you'd like me to fake

Tell me I'm wrong
Tell me I'm right
Let the morning sun decide

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:03:46 AM »
Ive tried Facebook ads as well with a football song I released in the Spring - As mentioned before you do tend to get loads of views and because of the nature of the project i was able to hit a target audience and get 4.5k views for about a tenner ..........but still struggled to get many sales.

I think it might work with a charity style song for a good cause that you may be able target the ads at a specific audience etc .....but i think a random song by an unknown artist is pretty much throwing money away.

Make it a niche market song thats hitting a specific audience or fan base and you may have a chance.

For example if you wrote a song called 'I Love Gin' and ticked the right boxes when uploading the ad then all the people who have liked a face-book page called 'Gin Lovers UK' for example will see your ad.

Cheers

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 10:20:47 AM »
TBH I don't think you will even recoup your original investment.
Why not start with a fiver yourself (or even £10 - it will get you quite a lot of ads!) and see how it pans out for yourself?

I don't think you'll find anyone on here to just give you £5 to advertise your music - they would probably want to spend that fiver on advertising their own music!

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 11:25:41 AM »
TBH I don't think you will even recoup your original investment.
Why not start with a fiver yourself (or even £10 - it will get you quite a lot of ads!) and see how it pans out for yourself?

I don't think you'll find anyone on here to just give you £5 to advertise your music - they would probably want to spend that fiver on advertising their own music!
Fair points Ramshackles!

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »

I'll make this happen without you Peter!

Maybe. I was just, with the best of intention, advising against it and sort of hoping you wouldn't, but hey, it's your money. (And/or other peoples money as well if more decide to chime in.)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:57:19 PM by The S »

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »
...but i think a random song by an unknown artist is pretty much throwing money away.

Kurt Cobain was an unknown artist until he wasn't. If we always take that mentality we'll never try anything. Why write at all if we're just unknown artists writing random songs right?

What I'm doing is passion and believing, and I'd rather fail with blind optimism than never believe I could ever reach anyone or try anything new.