konalavadome

The Gun (trigger and bad word warning)

• 17 Replies

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been holding off on posting this long enough. I have an issue with it, and I'm curious what you think, and if you notice the thing that bothers me. I'm sure now that I've opened the door, you're going to find a bunch more stuff. Haha. Thanks in advance.

There's a bad word, but it's exactly the one said by the leader of my country recently, and it's been said all over the news here all week. I'll still star it out, but you'll hear it in the song, just to make that clear.

There's a little surprise in the middle. That's my friend and housemate Jess. She's also on drums and singing backup. Yeah, I'm lucky.

Lynn

Listen to The Gun (HSC Mix 5) by faraway my lovely #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-468459034/the-gun-hsc-mix-5

The Gun

Everybody's acting normal
Going to work, on the run
Maybe we can catch a movie
Eat some popcorn, have some fun
Maybe we can hear some music
Have a drink in a bar
We don't have to stay too late
And we don't have to go that far

Chorus:
Til the gun goes
Pop pop pop pop pop
And the blood flows
Until our hearts stop
And the beat we hear
Will slowly be replaced
With a ringing in our ears
As all our senses fade

Everybody's acting normal
No one really gives a ****
No one really even cares
How many little kids you hit
You can get us in the movies
You can get us in the bar
We don't have to stay too long
And we don't have to go that far

Chorus

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
Great track, you have a good sound, sounds like it should be in Tarantino's next western move...
some timing issues with the kick drum which could easily be sorted...

good work!! :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »
Hey Lynn, really like those surf guitar licks, and the other standout for me is your friend's open hi hats (or cymbals?) in the choruses - very nice touch. I like the way the subject matter is violent but the song is quite relaxed - that contrast works well.
It's all too beautiful.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »
Oh and by the way, as for 'spot the issue', maybe the whistling in the middle was slightly pitchy? But not glaringly so... I just raise it coz you set us the 'issue challenge'. It didn't feel pitchy to me at the end.
It's all too beautiful.

kingforaday

• Busker
    • Snakeoil Salesmen
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:45:54 PM »
sounds like it should be in Tarantino's next western move...

Beat me to it, that's exactly what I was thinking! Yeah really enjoyed this, the guitar riffs are really cool and the whistling is a nice touch. Good work

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:53:33 PM »
I have an issue with it, and I'm curious what you think, and if you notice the thing that bothers me. I'm sure now that I've opened the door

Haha yes door now wide open :P but honestly I didn't find any issue with it. I liked this. Again you voice captures me straight away!! There's a distinct style I hear in this that I hear in your other work and I think it's great to have that. It's really well produced (to my ear at least) and well performed.

And yes, lucky to have a drummer/BV's in a housemate! Must be great for you both and lots of fun.

All the best

Darren

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:02:03 PM »
Yo Lynn.

Man,I like this. It has a dark,insidiously infectious groove an ear worm fo sho.

Timing issues are what make it less than what it could be,I don't know if that's what bugs you,but it does me. The guitar and drums wander,making your job more difficult. I hear the 'off' whistling too,but it isn't a deal breaker. The engine room boys need to get tight before you put down the vox.

This could be great and should be. As it is,it's damned fine.  8)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »
Really like this .. it has a kind of understated menace and I could definitely hear this in a Tarantino movie!

You have a great voice and I love backing vocals in the chorus. You have created a very unique sound that is original but also quite commercial. Love the lyrics too.

(I see someone mentioned the Velvets in a comment on Soundcloud ... I can hear that too!)

Kevin

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:09:36 PM »
This is great Lynn. Very atmospheric.  Vocals and guitar are the star for me. I love the way that you are able to use you bvs so well. Whistling?  Well it does add to the vibe and personally I would leave it in there,  maybe just reduce it in the mix a bit. Excellent  :)

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
Decent this, reminds me of Black Box Recorder.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »
Great track, you have a good sound, sounds like it should be in Tarantino's next western move...
some timing issues with the kick drum which could easily be sorted...

good work!! :) :)

Thanks Kevin. I saw Quentin Tarantino on the subway once. He was laughing out loud while reading a script, and eating a donut, which left a ridiculous amount of powdered sugar all over his face.

Thanks Paul. Since I'm evil, I'm not going to tell what the issue is. Haha. Nice guess.

Kingforaday, there's a bit of a tip of the hat to Ennio Morricone in the guitar solo and the whistle.

Darren, thank you so much. Comments like that have helped my confidence in my voice immensely.

Yo Skub. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate that feedback. Our recording situation was less than ideal. We should have rented a studio so we could all play together. Hindsight. I'm glad you still liked it.

Thanks Kevin. I get the Velvet comparison a lot. It kind of boggles my mind. Maybe it's the drums. I think Jess loves Moe Tucker.

PJ, thanks for that. I'm not telling, but I will say I love the whistle.

RealKevM, I'll have to check them out. Not on my radar. Thanks for listening!

Lynn

Katie Wilson

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 12:18:29 AM »
Good stuff , I agree with everyone else about western sound

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 11:48:41 AM »
Hi, love the retro american feel to this song. great guitar sounds, a cross between Tarantino, Duane Eddie and the spaghetti western guy, who's name i have inconveniently forgotten! Backing vocals work great and whilst I feel the whistling is a bit pitchy I love it! Good song well thought out and played.
Cheers
Jamie

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »
Good stuff , I agree with everyone else about western sound

Thanks Katie. Glad you liked it.
Hi, love the retro american feel to this song. great guitar sounds, a cross between Tarantino, Duane Eddie and the spaghetti western guy, who's name i have inconveniently forgotten! Backing vocals work great and whilst I feel the whistling is a bit pitchy I love it! Good song well thought out and played.
Cheers
Jamie

That would be Ennio Morricone, Jamie. He's a big influence on Dave. I like everyone who plays with me to have freedom to go where they want. Dave took it in the spaghetti Western direction.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 06:08:26 PM »
Hi Red Rhodie

Sounds good to me, great voice and nicely put together, I thought the whistling echo'd the motif well, and gave plenty of space to remind the listener of  something that was at the start of the piece.

The whistling did seem a little high in the mix, just thought it could be a hint of the motif, to say "isn't that the motif at the beginning', rather than "This is the motif at the beginning".

But that's just my ears.

Nice work.

cpm