Help with writing chords

• 9 Replies

Duke

• Busker
« on: September 24, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »
Okay I have a few songs that I wrote without the piano, so I haven't made any chords for those songs yet. I'm trying now, singing the song while trying to find chords that goes well with the melody, but I'm really struggling. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this, without having to try and fail? Also, how can i find out what key my song is in and stuff? I kinda suck at the theory part of music..

Kafla

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
Duke - my advice would be to learn to play as many of your favourite songs as possible , you will be amazed at how many use the same chord progressions

Search the Internet and just learn as many as you can

Regarding the key I believe it's the root note of your song, most times it will be the opening chord/note you sing your melody on

I dont believe it to be important to know a lot about music theory but I think it is imperative that you understand the chords and melody in classic songs

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »
try to work out the melody you are singing first, before thinking of chords. Once you know the notes of the melody it may be easier to understand which chords to play.

But apart from that, I agree with kafla. If you are teaching yourself and aren't interested in the 'classical' route, then get the chords to your favourite songs and play them. Figure out the melody to those aswell and see how the notes of melody fit in with the chords.

Steal a chord sequence from your favourite songs and try writing a melody to that. You'll be amazed at how many different songs in pop music are made from basically the same chord sequences.

Scorpio Rising

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:00:01 AM »
Personally I tend to play a few chords, if they sounds good I hum a melody over it. Once I've got the melody I put words to it, then do the same for the chorus but make it catchy. I always record myself doing it though, I have a terrible memory, ha!

Only ever takes me 20mins max to write a whole song.

jbrewerguitar

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
You don't need to know all the theory but a basic grasp on the harmonised major scale, ie all the chords within the major scale, will help. Start with basic traids and move onto sevenths later.  Try learning a bit about cadences too, like dominant chords leading to the tonic.  It is worth learning just a tiny bit of this stuff as it will help to take the blindfold off! Sounds scary at first but it's all really logical :)

Duke

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:37:47 PM »
I do know how to play a lot of chords, the problem is just that after I've written a song WITHOUT making chords WHILE i'm writing it, I can't seem to find a progression that fits..

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 08:16:37 PM »
I don't think I've ever written a melody without some backing. But I've had a think and may have a possible solution for you.
Depending on how you work though. I'd multi-track record.

Try singing a harmony line. then a second line, and if possible a third.   :o

At any point you would have a 3 or 4 note "chord" sounding.
If you are competent playing lead lines on an instrument you could do that instead of singing?

Might throw up some interesting ideas both melodically and harmonically..........I might give it a go this weekend!  :o

Worth a go?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:18:38 PM by mihkay »
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Duke

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 08:45:25 PM »
yes! Absolutely! Thank you.

chrislong170273

• Open Mic
    • Chris Long: Composer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
when i teach students to write I tell them to start with Lyrics, then Chords, then melody. Of course, in reality all of these are interchangeable and often happen at the same time, BUT, having the chords first, suggests melodies and you are not then stuck in the position you are.

I often have students who sing the melody and then I add the chords, but it is experience that allows you to do this, just knowing what you are listening out for. And of course, there is no right progression, often 4 or 5 can work. It can all be done by ear but I think having some theoretical knowledge allows you to consciously do the unexpected.

anyway, only advice I can offer is to work out the notes of the melody on a piano and look to see what chords may fit...
hope it helps

Chris
www.chrislong.me.uk
www.chrislong.me.uk
@ChrisLongCOMP

Duke

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »