konalavadome

Learning music

• 8 Replies

Katie Wilson

« on: January 15, 2018, 09:24:40 AM »
Hi I wondered what advice you'd give someone who doesn't knew anything about music -  I've downloaded the figure allihoppa music app - it seems to have everything on it to make a tune but I don't really know what I'm doing - it's got drums , lead, bass at the top key / tempo /mix / beat and a whole range of other things which completely bedazzle me , I have no idea what I'm doing - I don't know if I record separate bits ie drum them mix them together , is there a simple way to make myself a tune up
Thanks Katie

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
Hi Katie.

I don't know anything about the app I'm afraid,so I can't advise there.It depends on how you wish to approach the task.

I take it since you have created this thread you are not content to concentrate solely on lyric creation? It's my impression that a fair few songwriters are more likely to suffer from lack of inspiration with lyrics,than with composing music,so in theory at least there ought to be a ready made market out there for your words.

If,however,you are planning to be self sufficient,then this poses a series of different dilemmas.

If you have a good ear it's possible to record a melody to fit your lyrics on a phone.At this point you need to be able to put suitable chords to the melody,which again will entail a minimum of both knowing an instrument and having a good enough ear.

In the short term,at least,I believe you'd be best served by working with other musicians and learn from how they bring together your words and either yours or their music. After you've been through that process a few times you'll be better informed as to whether you want to invest time and energy into learning an instrument yourself.

Rather than looking at the whole seemingly insurmountable problem from where you now stand,take it one step at a time and make the journey enjoyable,then before you know,you'll be miles up the road.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
Thanks Skub maybe you are right ,I find writing lyrics comes quite naturally to me but when it comes to actually making music I have no idea maybe I should just stick to,what I know for now and who knows pick up bits and pieces as I go along

Thanks Katie xxx

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
The simple answer would be to learn an instrument - I would recommend either guitar or piano/keyboards - or both

You will pick up the music theory as you go along (ie how melody and chords "work") AND you will be able to accompany yourself

I think you would struggle to learn music theory without learning an instrument

This should not take long - especially if you find a local teacher that you can sit with - it is more expensive than "online" options but should speed things up for you

Once you have the music knowledge the other things will kinda fall in to place and there are plenty on the forum that can support you on your journey
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Katie Wilson

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 06:33:13 PM »
Thanks Boydie I'll look into that xxx

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 06:54:08 PM »
I want to reiterate what Boydie said. Learning an instrument will be a far more effective and enjoyable way to learn music than any app.
You can get a semi decent guitar very cheaply then upgrade when you've got better and saved your pennies.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »
Thanks Ramshackles

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 09:30:12 PM »
I came from the exact same position. In addition to the great advice Boydie and Ram have given I'd also suggest getting a DAW and just getting stuck into it - IMHO, and this is very much a 'horses for courses' point, the most valuable learning is in just doing something. AUDACITY IS PRETTY EASY AS A FIRST TIMER DAW and there's free trial version of it available. Laying down some bass lines, drum tracks and throwing some chord progressions together (there's a draw in note facility available) will help you get a feel for a lot of theory stuff in a practical way. Once you've gotten the gist you can always get a fairly basic MIDI keyboard and build more musical experience.

If you've any sort of tone and pitch in your voice a programme called Imitone might be of use to you. It allows you to hum a melody and the programme will translate it into notes in your DAW. So for example if you've a hooky as hell bass line melody in your head you'd hum it into a mic with Imitone open and it'd translate and record it in your DAW under your chosen bass. Other VST plug-ins might be useful too - EZ Keys (piano) and Strum session (guitar) will help you get to grips with chords, rhythm etc without actually having to play either (it's kinda like having a virtual session musician that you can instruct I guess). Neither of these are substitutes for learning the guitar or piano but they might at least help you move gradually from lyricist to songwriter.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 08:56:08 AM »
Thanks for that I'll have a look