Sinking feeling (How they Fell)

• 7 Replies

Dom Hunt

• Busker
  • Find what you love,finding yourself will follow
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »
I'm Not too sure how to describe this,dedicated to my granddad who sadly passed a few years ago but joined the army just after the second world war as he wasn't old enough to fight. Its a mix between a soundscape and a short acoustic song about a mans gut feeling and his life flashing before him before he charges into the depths of a metaphorical ocean of war. What were your thoughts about this? I wanted to keep it short so id be able to get more radio plays (My songs are often played on local radios and stuff)

https://soundcloud.com/dom-hunt-2/sinking-feeling

SINKING FEELING LYRICS
I’ve got a Sinking feeling
Icy water crawling on my back,now

The devil has said hello
The wheat fields have withered,brown

I’ll miss the autumn leaves
How they fell to the ground

I’ll miss the silence
Cause there’s too much sound, loud.

I feel the rushing water
Soaking through my lungs

Dcj Hunt

Viva La Stereo

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 02:05:37 PM »
This is fantastic. So avant-garde and comes completely from the left field. I'm picking up a Floyd vibe, particularly the more Roger Waters oriented stuff like The Final Cut. This would work amazingly as an intro to a concept EP/album. The length of the song just makes me want to hear more.

Dom Hunt

• Busker
  • Find what you love,finding yourself will follow
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 02:15:37 PM »
I love pink Floyd. I agree with you that its got a strange familiar sound. Thank You. Its going to be the first song on my Second EP which is coming in February. :)
Dcj Hunt

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 02:29:22 PM »
Dom,

Good stuff .... agree with the Pink Floyd references, although this is a highly original composition. Well done.

Kevin

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »
Mmmmm, not quite sure how to comment on this.I get the Floyd ref and yes it does have an art school avant garde feeling about it. The concept is good, but i think it needs a bit more going on in terms of melody and chord progression.
Sorry if this is a bit blunt :o
Cheers
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »
Hi Dom and welcome to the forum. This is an ambitious piece and it looks like you thought it out very well. It's part poetry, part music. It's got a very psychedelic feel to it. I don't quite know if I was comfortable with the voice swirling around my head but I do see where you are coming from. Interesting stuff

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »
Hey Dom, welcome.  To me this felt like a prelude to another song, as if something big was going to kick off from around 1:50.  It also felt as if that following song was going to be mega... you had the beginnings of a really nice build going on.  So in isolation this piece doesn't really hit me yet, but as the beginnings of your second EP, it sounds like it could be a great place to lift off from.
It's all too beautiful.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 10:45:47 PM »
The comparisons to Roger Waters were inevitable, and I think that instantly puts you right up against it because few can come close to matching that. It's interesting and a very brave attempt, but I think it's not tight enough. The various elements are good but some parts don't feel tied well; there's something not quite right about the pace. It's difficult for me to elaborate though - getting this kind of thing nailed down takes a lot of skill, and I'm not sure I would fare any better.