Any "foodies" here?

• 6 Replies

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »
I hate that word—"foodie"—but it seems to be the most accurate/recognized way to identify somebody who is really into food and trying different foods.

So... any of you fit that description?
You go out of your way to try different things and are willing to drop some coin (when you have it) to have a really nice meal?

I have a couple of friends who are chefs and a few more in the restaurant industry (one of whose father is a restaurant critic). So I've had the opportunity in a great food city (Chicago) to do a lot of exploring. Although not as much as I would like to.

How about you?

And, oh yeah!
My wife and I are going out in a couple of nights for what we expect will be a spectacular experience at this place:
http://fooditor.com/hanbuns-intimate-korean-tasting-menu-westmont-strip-mall/

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »
I probably don't qualify for the label, but I do like interesting food. I'm not super adventurous about it, though. I particularly like to find recipes or foods that are interesting, delicious, and healthy. And I like to experiment with recipes, that is, try a new one, think about what might improve it, try it again with changes, repeat.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »
I have a great interest in the subject. I'm not that super into cultural aspects like if the omelette is made by dwarf pigeon eggs traditional to the Tibetan kitchen but tastes... that's what gets me going.
If I could manage the, of what I've heard stressful work environment, working as a chef might be the best job for me.

Quality restaurants (and good food in general) are way out of my budget in the town where I live so I rely on the skills of my own and my friends.

In the last 10 years food has become this big new thing in Sweden and it's starting to show in markets and general opinion. I find it rewarding to be able to talk about food among other people then just the professionals.

Martin

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »
My son watches the bake of on TV  If it's a pastry week he buys pastries to test with the judges at the end of the programme.    He makes me laugh :-)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:02:15 PM by Wicked Deeds »

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:57 PM »
So, here is the menu from last night!

And here are the courses, in order (only salmon was subbed for trout, due to logistical issues):

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
Looks amazing and I best it tasted amazing too!!

I would say I am a foodie...but of a different variety. I lean more towards quantity than quality, although one day I do want to try a michelin star experience, just to taste the difference. Apparently there's a nice Indian one not far from me, so one day!!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:42:55 PM by Darren1664 »

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:32:14 PM »
I am a reformed foodie. Haha. It's hard to be one where I live. But when I lived in Manhattan, it was easy. My partner Dave has cooked in some very fine restaurants, worked for some Michelin star and briefly with a few celebrity chefs. He's even once cooked in the James Beard House. It's a brutal lifestyle. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But people love it at first, usually.

Now he works in a health food store. He was so burnt out from restaurants, he didn't let on he could  cook, so they had him doing all the veg prep, which he actually loves. Slowly they've figured it out. So he's come a long way from cooking frois gras in Tribeca to making kale salad in Newport. People might think he's gone backwards, but he gets home by 9:30pm, makes more money, has paid time off, health insurance, all the stuff he didn't get in restaurants, and the people are nice. No one's screaming. I've known guys who actually gotten hit by the chef. It's much more civilized.

As far as my love of food, I'm most excited about ethnic food than fancy restaurant food. Give me a hot stone pot of Bib Bim Bop and I'm happy. We don't have a single Indian restaurant in my city. It's awful. Forget about my favorite, Burmese. I think the closest one is in NY, and it was the hardest thing about leaving there for me.