A-capella buisness

• 2 Replies

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:24:42 PM »
Hi!

I'm thinking of joining a choir to develop my singing and reading of sheet music further.
Some of the choirs here have vocal exams(or what ever it might be called in English) and I wonder how I should study for them. My pitch isn't perfect so I'm not sure if I can hear how good in tune I am. I guess I could record and play along afterwards but it sounds like there could be a better way.

So, has anyone done a-capella exams and how did you prepare?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:16:18 PM »
You could use your guitar to start you off in the right key,stop playing after a few lines,then check back periodically with the guitar to see if you have wandered off pitch. I daresay you'll get better as you practice and train your ear. Confidence and your ear are key....see what I did there,Martin?  :D

I did a cover a while ago of a Vicki song and enjoyed the process,but I'll readily admit I used a guitar to keep me honest. It's a great exercise and fun to do.
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/i-need-room-vicki-cover

I'd love to play a part in an accapella group,but I have my doubts about being up to scratch. It's a wonderful thing when done right.

Good luck anyway Martin,any vocal exercise is good for ya!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:57:51 AM »
Hi Martin

I tried to do one in a barber shop quartet type fashion...

Haircut, sir? It was called. I don’t think I managed to pull it off, really...but it was great fun to do. I updated it later and added drums and guitars, so I ruined the example I would otherwise have provided  :)

Go for it...I’m sure you’ll enjoy it...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter