Into the darkness

• 33 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
Hello all, it's been a while! All constructive comments welcome!

Cheers
Jamie

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/into-the-darkness

Into the darkness

Feel the jagged edge of love
Cruel and extreme pain without drugs
A bitter taste of loss and revenge
Looking for ways to defend and avenge

Take a step into the darkness
bible black it's oh so starless
Take those hooks from your heart

You're not thinking straight it's pulling you down
Just take your hate and turn it around
You now no good can come out of this
You know the cost can you take the risk

Adorned by roses and a crown of thorns
Crawl in the dirt covered with worms
Take all your words and twist them around
Tangles your thoughts you feel like you'll drown

take a step into the darkness
Bible black it's oh so starless
Take those hooks from your heart

You're not thinking straight it's pulling you down
Just take your hate and turn it around
You know no good can come out of this
You know the cost can you take the risk

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »
Hi Jamie.  Really good to hear from you again.  This is a very atmospheric piece.  You know I always love your chord progressions and melody is always a first with you. I enjoyed the atmos you created.  Excellent when the full blown stuff kicks in. Maybe it could have been earlier?  Welcome back  :)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:19:09 AM »
Hi Jamie

So nice to hear your unique style again!
Great atmosphere and melody lines - pitch-perfect vocals.
Love it when the horror theatre comes in near the end.
I think that would have been a great intro - the slow pace at the start dragged a little TBPH.

Good work - nice to hear you back!
Paul 

Tyler Hancock

• Busker
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:24:27 AM »
THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. I will echo what pompeyjazz said: loving how atmospheric this is. Thoroughly enjoyed the entire first 3:30, and just when I thought the energy of the song had already peaked, 3:37 was the sweet release I didn't know I wanted until you delivered it. Great work.

-Tyler

PS: You've gained a new SoundCloud follower!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
A dark moody piece, bit slow to get going though, when it does it lifts a lot...should come in earlier I reckon..

as usual a very interesting chord sequence goin on...

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

exfairy

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
Very steampunk-Smiths-esque, I'm into it! I love the lyric "bible black" - it's just one of those lyrics that's feels clever.
I must echo shadowfax in that I feel that it's a little slow to get going but lyrically and musically well suited. Good job! :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »
Yo Jamie.

A melancholic piece and a genre you do so well. Your voice is great on this,I'd find it hard to sing for sure.

I loved the phantom of the opera ending too. Tre dramatic!  8)

Loved it.  :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:01:39 PM »
Really beautiful. Dark and moody. Reminds me in mood of Bowie's later work. I'm loving the vocals, the lyrics, and the instrumental ending is lovely. Wow, that went by fast. I was listening as I was writing. Really enjoyed that, Jamie.

Lynn

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
Welcome back Jamie,

words and music go well together. It may be an odd thing to say but that listening to your song was an enjoyable way to spend a Friday afternoon.

I enjoyed that :)

Keith

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 02:49:37 PM »
Hi John, thanks for your kind words, and take your point about the arrangement. My thinking was that the words were all about thinking before acting rashly and the idea was that the unleashing of the synths and drums was to underscore the impact of acting rashly. Don't know if that makes any sense! ??? ::).Glad you got something from it!

Thanks Paul, its good to be back, just felt a little jaded and lost  interest for a while. Hopefully ill be reinvigorated! Take you point about the arrangement see my comments above......Thanks for comments about unique style thats cool!

Hi Tyler, glad you enjoyed it and i can always handle more followers! i'll take beautiful!

Hi Kevin, see comments above ref arrangement! One day I'll get it right! ??? ::).Hope you got something from it!

Cheers guys its appreciated!

Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 02:56:53 PM »
Hi exfairy, thanks for listening!Glad you got something from it! Steam punk eh! Cool.....

Hi Skub, good to hear from you! i'm wearing the mask as we speak :o ;)Thanks for the vocal comments i'm always so unsure of my vocal capabilities .

Hi Lynn, love the comments about Bowie thank you ;D Pleased you enjoyed it, makes all the hours worthwhile!

Hi Keith, I'm so glad i brightened your friday afternoon, its what I set out to do ;)

Thanks for listening guys it's appreciated!
Cheers
Jamie

Katie Wilson

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 06:39:15 PM »
Really like this , your voice is fantastic , song reminds me of someone but I don't know who , maybe Bowie or a heaven 17 type sound . Drifts along brilliantly I imagine the smoke rising as someone sings this on top,of the pops

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
Hi Katie, thanks for listening. Someone else mentioned Bowie in this thread, so that's a good thing. Not sure it's top of the pops fodder, but there you go, glad you enjoyed it! Comment ref my voice is welcome if a little ott! 8), but i'll take it ;)
Cheers Katie ;D ;D

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 07:57:50 AM »
I loved the unusual melody and chords... very potent, like a Bond theme.
I did like the minimalism of the first verse but agree with some of the comments that it should build more quickly thereafter. To me this feels like a massive epic on which some of the faders are currently turned down if you know what I mean... really love the structure and feel of it though, and very nicely sung too. Huge potential in this track, although I realise 'going big' might compromise the subtlety you've gone for.
It's all too beautiful.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 05:13:07 PM »
Hi, someone else suggested a bond sound to another one of my songs recently! I’m not plagiarising just lucky that it sounded like something else! Yes maybe subtlety can be overdone! As I’ve said before I kept it low key (too long obviously)so that when the instrumental outro kicks in it sounds big! But I get the point as others have mentioned this before ::) :P. Pleased you got something from it! ;D
Thanks for listening!
Cheers ;D
Jamie