I-Sad

• 17 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »
Hi All - hoping to be a bit more productive this year... Also with my (ahem) gig looming, I may look to do more with potential to be performed simply live.

So for today a little acoustic number. In the past I've had difficulty in keeping them interesting, so interested in any comments on whether this could do with more.  I've tried a few things here (sorry, another fake rap break, couldn't resist...)

All constructive and specific comments welcome as always!

Many thanks

I-Sad
https://soundcloud.com/lutehill/i-sad-master-06-01-2018a

V1
When we met it was press to play
Just make a call to activate
Simply set the time and date
Always had a way to communicate

V2
But the world is full of other games
And soon the updates never came
Emoticons don't mean the same
Glass and steel too cold to keep a flame

CH
I-watch the screen for the millionth time
I-phone your number but there’s voicemail on the line
I-touch the glass but it’s ignoring my thumbs
I keep pressing F1 but no help ever comes
I-sad cos I-see
I-lonely instantly
We-chat and I-pay
I gave myself for free

V3
Is there a way to press undo
To shut down and reboot
Distance stops us growing roots
Whichever way you choose to compute

BRIDGE
Looks like you’ve decided on wiping
Everything I was investing my life in
Like I’m locked outside of my account without my pin
Radio silence... got me wondering
Who else's stuff you've been right swiping and liking
My eyes glued online for three little dots as a sign that you might be typing...

REPEAT CH

(c) Adam Farr, 2018, all rights reserved

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
Hey Adam, happy new year.
Enjoyed this.  I wasn't sure if it was an ode to an online relationship, or an ode to your phone itself.  Either way, it works!  Smart lyrics, especially the line about the three little dots.  Been there!
My favourite bits musically are the step downs after the verses.
I thought the bridge "rap" worked too because you don't make it too rappy... it's more of an indie narration.
First chorus I wasn't sure gave enough of a lift but I liked the chorus more towards the end of the song (do you vary the melody a bit more in them the second time around?  It felt like they reached up a bit more).
As to whether it could do with more, I guess it does feel like an "unplugged" version, I could imagine this with percussion and more tracks, but that sad I wasn't bored by it as stands because the lyrics keep it interesting.  Maybe just put some more welly into the chorus vocals if you're going to play it live 'n acoustic.
Hope the prep for your gig is going well.  I'm sure you'll smash it.
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 05:23:32 PM »
Love the simplicity to this Adam. There is a distinct Spanish feel to this as well. Lyrics are always clever and well written. Your vocals seem to become more confident with each new song. F1 hey  ;D

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
Clever lyrics as usual ....off the wall subject..... very interesting!
An avant garde cabaret act feel to performance.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
Very strange and interesting. Weird melody works great with the story. It reminds me of the movie Her, about the guy who falls in love with his computer. Not boring. I liked it.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »
Yo Adam.

A madly cool ide for a song. I love off the wall thinking such as this.

English eccentricity abounds on this delightfully odd piece.

I think this is one that may lend itself to further development,but works as is.

Magic.  8)

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »
Hi Adam

Adam

I-love the very computery subject of the song, being an IT guy![only half nerdy though] How computers help and hinder our relationships through social media, emails, and online accounts of one kind or another is a very current topic. Cleaver lyrics. 3/4 time signature is an added bonus too.

Melodically, I think the line "no help ever comes" in the chorus going to a minor chord didn't create the lift I was expecting. I was once advised to try and change key (where appropriate) in a chorus as it really adds depth to a song. Not saying you should on this one but the suggestion kind of stuck with me.

I like your rap. Well thought out rhymes. There are many different ways of delivering a rap/spoken middle eight and I couldn't do any of them, so respect for that too!

James

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 10:54:10 PM »
Witty, intelligent and quirky.

A great and imaginative little number...this should go down great at the first gig!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »
Like this!! Love the unexpected melody, keeped me hooked and wanting to listen again!

Lyrics are brilliant and as usual with you very original and clever idea for a subject. Delivery was great and respect for the middle 8, I thought you pulled that off with confidence!

The harmonies on the chorus are beautiful and really define that section!

Another great song from you Adam!

Darren

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »
Hey man, in the context of an Open Mic and stimulating interest in a young iphone inseparable audience, you got a winner here.
To be straight with ya, the teen trendy, techno-romance, though clever in it's own arena, locked me out.
But hey you've obviously done your demographics and crossed off the bar I hang out in, as unsuitable. You're too clever, man.
But seriously, you're a clever guy, you know what you're doing and this is what it takes.
Quirky English vocal style with a touch of the aristocrat, and then down with the hoi polloi for the rap. You will kill 'em man.
I felt the rhythm on the acoustic was a little wooden. Give it a bit of flamenco wildness.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »
adam,
Intelligent and interesting, with the waltz and your vocal delivery creating some tension supporting your smart lyrics. V3 is my favourite.
Simple clear vocals, arrangement and production too.
Did I hear a touch of Aussie Strine in the rap or was it English estuarine accent?
neat
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 02:06:29 PM »
Adam

Lovely idea for the lyrics, I'll listen to the song a bit later

CPM

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 05:46:58 PM »
The lyric is cleverly knitted together even for a luddite who doesn't have a smart phone....yet!

I miss the Adam Farr electric guitar lines that you come up with for most of your stuff but like the descending bass note part we get here instead anyway and the single notes that break up the strumming.... I wonder like Silver Machine (though not pushing for flamenco) whether a more lively guitar strum would work to contrast with the fairly straight vocal delivery.

I think that if you're going to include this in your set you might want to think on that...or at least don't open with this one....more of a thinker this one so later in the set.....you might want to bash them over the head first with something a bit jauntier.

Not your intention in any way I'm sure but made me think of the Rastafari language!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:27:25 PM »
Your inimitable style gets better and better :) clever lyrics in a song containing your own very special flavour.. :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 02:08:34 AM »
Hi Adam

I do love me a nice waltz.  ;D ;D
This is quirky as all get out but it grew on me even through one listen so you're doing something right.
It's a bold and clever lyric and musical style.
It's not real hooky - so I think adding more might distract the listener IMHCO

I enjoyed listening  ;D
Paul