konalavadome

In these early Hours

• 41 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 08:30:26 AM »
Hi CPM. I'm really impressed with your first complete submission. You've obviously got a lot to get out and you've done it so well.  Great feel and excellent production. Only little nits were that the guitar solo was maybe a bit too loud and I don't know if the trailing solo really worked. Anyway,  personal  preference etc etc.....

Hi PompeyJazz (love that name)

Yeah I do have a lot to get out, thats true, I'm thinking about putting up some of my older songs that I thought were awful, I guess these are the best ones to get ideas for and maybe turn them into something worthwhile.

I agree the guitar solo is a bit loud, I have experimented with guitar solos volume in the past and it's really tricky to get the level right, I think you've listened to mu unfinished song (C0-noshusnnes (Texas Twisterv2), now that solo is definately too loud, and there is one or two notes that are out of time, which really bugs me....

Some of the comments I'm getting in this forum is about volume/levels, but I have to take into account each person's  hearing spectrum, what they are playing the song back on, so that can be a slippery old slope. It's good to hear your comments PompeyJazz.

Thanks

CPM

Theatreman

• Busker
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 10:22:59 AM »
Enjoyed your song. Really interesting idea and lyric. Strong vocal and guitar playing. Possibly a few rhythmic issues with the percussion. Maybe a middle eight woul lend a bit of contrast?

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Enjoyed your song. Really interesting idea and lyric. Strong vocal and guitar playing. Possibly a few rhythmic issues with the percussion. Maybe a middle eight woul lend a bit of contrast?

Thanks very much for the feedback, Do you know, I was thinking the same thing about a middle 8, just this morning, got any ideas?

Regards

CPM

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:42 PM »
You didn't disappoint me with the picture of cow parsley on your SC page!

The gently jaunty guitar strumming is nice and adds a lot of character to the track....

The vocal is good too...very natural sounding and a nice timbre to it.

I wasn't so fond of the lead guitar part, played nicely enough but it doesn't seem in keeping somehow whether that's a mix thing or a not fitting thing or just me being a difficult sod....maybe a bit loud?

Is the snare panned a bit too much off centre?

NOW....I've just listened to the remix and the lead guitar seems to fit in better...must have been a mix thing....but I still prefer the first version in general.

Anyway it's a really good introduction to your stuff. Enjoyed it!

Hi again 'The Count'

Youre right the snare is way too left...

Regards

CPM

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 05:46:35 PM »
Hi,
Good intro like the tune. Good snare and really like your vocals, and its obviously a heartfelt lyrically.

Thoughts around production, your vocals should be louder on the key last lines on the 2nd and 3rd - dry your eyes when and try to get some sleep, its time now your tea is getting cold etc.

I agree you could tighten up the the drums and rhythm. Not sure what you're recording set up is, are you able to follow a click track? I also cant hear any bass? if you need some on a track just pm me and I'll see if I can help.
 :)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »
Hi,
Good intro like the tune. Good snare and really like your vocals, and its obviously a heartfelt lyrically.

Thoughts around production, your vocals should be louder on the key last lines on the 2nd and 3rd - dry your eyes when and try to get some sleep, its time now your tea is getting cold etc.

I agree you could tighten up the the drums and rhythm. Not sure what you're recording set up is, are you able to follow a click track? I also cant hear any bass? if you need some on a track just pm me and I'll see if I can help.
 :)
neil

Hi Neil

Thanks very much for your comments, much appreciated. The drums are more than a bit ragged, following the suggestions from this forum I sat down and tried to do them again, and they were kind of better, although the first take feel had gone, so I think I'll try and knife and fork it to fit - always a dodgy approach, like removing an organ....

The lead vox, your'e right about that it needs emphasising, well I wonder whether a tracking Vox would work here, quite low in the mix? just on the lyrics that you mention, may be a Female vocalist to add colour? Do you know any that might be willing to assist?

I nearly always drum to a click track, you wouldn't think it would you?

As for the bass I wanted it quite low and dead in the mix, almost to imply a bass note rather than to really hear it.

Thanks again

CPM

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 01:37:03 PM »
Hi, enjoyed this, it made me think of Neil Young but not in a copycat way. Production sounded good apart from the off centre snare which was irritating :o. Singing was very good reminded me a bit of someone, Steve Forbert maybe?
Good stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 08:24:33 AM »
Hi, enjoyed this, it made me think of Neil Young but not in a copycat way. Production sounded good apart from the off centre snare which was irritating :o. Singing was very good reminded me a bit of someone, Steve Forbert maybe?
Good stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

Hi Jamie

Really appreciate your comments, thanks for taking the time to listen. A couple of people have commented on the off centre snare, I now remember how that came about, I wanted the kit to sound as the drums were placed in front of me, so I moved them about, the snare got moved to far... also I wanted to experiment with giving more space to the lead Vox and the guitar solo.

I  was more peturbed by the off timing of the drums, I will get round to fixing that.

Thanks again

CPM

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »
This a nice groove to it
sometimes there're abrupt stops to this groove, I don't know if that was intentional

Mostly I like it
The voice and lyrics are lovely
The does break at times though
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 08:39:27 AM »
Thanks Rightly for your observations

cpm

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »
I like the counter-melodies provided by the guitar accompaniment. The final solo is a bit more old school than the rest though, not sure if it was a good fit stylistically. All the rest of the guitar - great!

Very good lyrics, a song that obviously means a lot to you and you can tell that in the performance. well done.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »
I like the counter-melodies provided by the guitar accompaniment. The final solo is a bit more old school than the rest though, not sure if it was a good fit stylistically. All the rest of the guitar - great!

Very good lyrics, a song that obviously means a lot to you and you can tell that in the performance. well done.

Hi MiachaelA, thanks for listening, it's funny I got the harmony for the Vox from the solo...and yes it does mean a lot to me.

Regards

cpm