In these early Hours

• 41 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 04:02:47 PM »
You've gotten some good responses to your production, which I know nothing about, anyway, so I'll just say...I really like the words and your voice, and how you sing it. I only listened to the first version. I know there's nothing helpful here, but I wanted to let you know I like it a lot.

Vicki

Thanks Vicki, I've noticed, you respond a lot in this forum, so I take your comments as a real compliment.

It's more than enough to know you like my voice, that's always been something I didn't have much confidence about. As for the words, they just come from the soul, and I think it's how they are carried by the melody that's the important bit..Bowie could make you sing along with the most peculiar lyrics, and no one would care because the melody is so hooky.

as for the knack of production, it's just down to concerntration, really listening, and being really picky even a nudge of a slider here, and a hair less of rvb there. The best analogy is when a musician says they have a piece ready, it's very often that they just know how to play it, getting it ready to perform can take just as long.

I'm fired up by the comments I've received from this forum, so I'm off to have a go at the un finished co noshussness that I've put up for comment....

Bye for now.

Rich

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 04:05:31 PM »
Nice song! I prefer the first version. I think it leaves more to the imagination sound wise. But I'm a minimalist sometimes. I like the lead guitar sound, it works well with the acoustic guitar.

Thanks Martinswede

I spend quite a while making sure the instrument sounds right, mic type, mic placement, stomp box etc. at the tracking stage.

This makes mixing and mastering so much easier, along with a very clear idea of how I want it to sound.

CPM

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 05:09:48 PM »
You didn't disappoint me with the picture of cow parsley on your SC page!

The gently jaunty guitar strumming is nice and adds a lot of character to the track....

The vocal is good too...very natural sounding and a nice timbre to it.

I wasn't so fond of the lead guitar part, played nicely enough but it doesn't seem in keeping somehow whether that's a mix thing or a not fitting thing or just me being a difficult sod....maybe a bit loud?

Is the snare panned a bit too much off centre?

NOW....I've just listened to the remix and the lead guitar seems to fit in better...must have been a mix thing....but I still prefer the first version in general.

Anyway it's a really good introduction to your stuff. Enjoyed it!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 05:19:02 PM »
Pretty good song - full of atmosphere and some nice guitar work.
Enjoyable vocal delivery.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 06:46:30 PM »
That was really moving. I loved the guitar rhythm, which reminded me a bit of Aimee Mann. The lyrics really won me over at the end, with your tea is getting cold. I think that says something so complex, but with an elegant simplicity.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »
You didn't disappoint me with the picture of cow parsley on your SC page!

The gently jaunty guitar strumming is nice and adds a lot of character to the track....

The vocal is good too...very natural sounding and a nice timbre to it.

I wasn't so fond of the lead guitar part, played nicely enough but it doesn't seem in keeping somehow whether that's a mix thing or a not fitting thing or just me being a difficult sod....maybe a bit loud?

Is the snare panned a bit too much off centre?

NOW....I've just listened to the remix and the lead guitar seems to fit in better...must have been a mix thing....but I still prefer the first version in general.

Anyway it's a really good introduction to your stuff. Enjoyed it!

Hi Viscount, Thanks for your comments, the cowparsley picture was taken on my walk to work, in good weather I was 7km along a river to work, it's a great way to ease myself into work, and I get to see all sorts of wildlife.

In these early hours picture too was taken a bit further upstream.

I find lead guitar very difficult to get the levels right, as in the cans they sound OK, but in the car it might  sound a tad loud,  as for the snare, I like to be able to give vox and lead instruments centre stage sometimes, you certainly have a point, If I remix it, then I'll look at that.

Thanks again for your very constructive comments.

CPM

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
Pretty good song - full of atmosphere and some nice guitar work.
Enjoyable vocal delivery.

Thanks Moorefrog

I appreciate that you took time to listen to it.

CPM

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 07:34:18 PM »
That was really moving. I loved the guitar rhythm, which reminded me a bit of Aimee Mann. The lyrics really won me over at the end, with your tea is getting cold. I think that says something so complex, but with an elegant simplicity.

Goodness redhodie, glad you were moved by it.I've not heard of Aimee Mann, but I'll check her out. you know, sometimes one gets the right lyric with ease, sometimes it could not be more difficult - check out my American-esque high school pop song that needs lyrics in the unfinished forum, you'll hear the current nonsense that I've rather clumsily stapled together...

Great to know you.

CPM

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »
Hi Cowparsleyman, big welcome to the forum.
So listening to the first version, first impressions were:
- You've got a great voice.  You don't over-sing / over-emote.
- Nice acoustic guitar sound.
- I dig the "tea's getting cold" lines.  (I like it a lot when very un-rock-and-roll lines get used like this!)
- Very nice guitars solos.
- The ending seemed to peter out a bit, I'd make that a bit more defined I think.
 Then listening to the second version:
- Thought the extra reverb on your voice worked well.
- I liked the pre-chorus vocal additions.
On balance I'll buck the trend and say I prefer version 2 - a richer sound and because of those BVs.
Still need to fix that ending though!
Super song to show up with. Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.
Pauly

Hi PaulyX

I put some lyrics on the American pop song I put up on the unfinished forum, and you are in them....

CPM

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »
Yo CPM and welcome to the forum.

I too hear the Neil Young influences,kinda like a lighter Hey,hey,my my.

You've a good voice and the song is solid. The off kilter drum are an unwanted distraction,that part needs sorted or leave them out.

Cool song.  8)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »
Yo CPM and welcome to the forum.

I too hear the Neil Young influences,kinda like a lighter Hey,hey,my my.

You've a good voice and the song is solid. The off kilter drum are an unwanted distraction,that part needs sorted or leave them out.

Cool song.  8)

Good morning Skub.

Glad you like the song, I like your directness. I think I can't rest until I re record the drum track, so I will do it again, I just liked the fils, quite open, I've forgotten which kit I used, so I can't just punch in the corrections....

Do you know, I've never really heard any Neil Young, so I'm at a loss to know what he sounds like, I think he did horse with no name, was that him?

A few years ago I gave up trying to do other peoples stuff, i think I'll post something on a different part of the forum about that because I'd like to hear what people think...but essentially I'm recording just my own stuff now.

Skub, where do you get your inspiration?

Regards

cpm

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 09:55:59 PM »

Skub, where do you get your inspiration?

Regards

cpm

:D

I have a head full of slamming doors!  :D

Dom Hunt

• Busker
  • Find what you love,finding yourself will follow
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 10:04:41 PM »
Very impressive song. I thought the sound was thick and natural. The lyrics are strong and moving when you understand what's behind them. There's a lot of potential for this song. I'm impressed.
If there's one thing that could be improved, I couldn't hear much bass at all. so perhaps you could increase the bass volume next time.
wish you the best,good luck.
dom
Dcj Hunt

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 10:26:29 PM »
Hi CPM. I'm really impressed with your first complete submission. You've obviously got a lot to get out and you've done it so well.  Great feel and excellent production. Only little nits were that the guitar solo was maybe a bit too loud and I don't know if the trailing solo really worked. Anyway,  personal  preference etc etc.....

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 08:23:29 AM »
Very impressive song. I thought the sound was thick and natural. The lyrics are strong and moving when you understand what's behind them. There's a lot of potential for this song. I'm impressed.
If there's one thing that could be improved, I couldn't hear much bass at all. so perhaps you could increase the bass volume next time.
wish you the best,good luck.
dom

Dear Dom

Thanks very much for your feedback, I remember now, I wanted the bass to be way in the back, becasue I felt the drums sort of did what the bass was going to do. I heard an interview with Tony Levin once about how he go the bass sound for 'Don't give up' with Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush, and he said that he put a baby's nappy under the strings to deaden it, so it didn't ring, so I tried it with a sock and I liked how it sounded, more understated, more of a soft thud than a ring.

Glad you like it.

CPM