Working from Memory

• 25 Replies

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
Happy birthday to David Bowie today.

This song sounds like he is still with us :)

This I suspect will be a 'grower'

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
I thought this one sounded stronger as it progressed, you seemed to deliver your vocals more confidently as we got into the body of the piece.

Yeah, Bowie was a reference I thought of too, but nothing wrong with that, as you have your own style layered on top of that too. Good chorus - and clever ending. Good job.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »
Unusual structure for me in that what you have labelled as the chorus is a few repeated lines...kind of like the refrain that you might find at the end of the verses in a folk song or whatever....but here I was hearing those lines as the precursor to something else (a chorus)...so after the second verse I was thinking that then we were going to go into what I would call a 'chorus'....not a 'bridge' or middle eight or whatever you want to call that lone part.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't work as a song. and it's all very well executed.

Others have commented on this too....in a different way...that it is very evenly-paced, no big hook etc  so let's just say not that it was a missed opportunity but a conscious choice not to go bigger at that point...which is fine. It's your bloody song after all!

B-side to 'Notice Me' perhaps?
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
Many thanks again for the excellent feedback and suggestions. I have posted a new version, incorporating minor changes to the intro,  beginning vocal and the bridge.

Unusual structure for me in that what you have labelled as the chorus is a few repeated lines...kind of like the refrain that you might find at the end of the verses in a folk song or whatever....

Agreed, it's more of a refrain than a full chorus: I wanted it to reflect the idea of recalling a memory, if that makes sense

I thought this one sounded stronger as it progressed, you seemed to deliver your vocals more confidently as we got into the body of the piece.

I have re-recorded the beginning vocals ... I was perhaps a little tentative on the original.

Happy birthday to David Bowie today.

This song sounds like he is still with us :)

Many thanks .... There is a big Bowie festival on here in Dublin at the moment. I have been to 3 Bowie cover bands in the last 3 nights, with one more to go tonight .. whew, I am worn out!

Subtlety defines this one ... really liked the twist in the lyrics in the last verse - made it both sad and triumphant. 

Many thanks, that was exactly the mood I was trying to convey  :)

A big David McBowie thing going on again, which is tres cool. Though he'd have had a calf length leather coat, not just leather on the elbows.

Very true  :) ;D

pnb

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
Just wanted to say that I loved this.

Its all already been said I think.

The only point I would make is that the overall production could be a little more cohesive and balanced...but the song itself is excellent.. I would definitely listen to this multiple times (in fact I will!)

pnb

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 05:58:58 PM »
Hi,

Nice 80's vibe in the song. I agree the others, your voice reminds me David Bowie.
Very well produced, sounds good to my ear.

Nice job!

refusedrevival

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »
Hi,

I thought this was pretty bloody excellent. Great vocals, lovely melody and a beautifully arranged backing. It's a great song - one I would have been very proud to write. I'm getting the David Bowie thing as well and I can pay it no greater compliment.

A wonderful thing indeed.

M

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 06:03:53 PM »
What a voice. The lyrics really got to me by the end, when you said she was still beautiful now. Haha. Really great song.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »
Hi,

I thought this was pretty bloody excellent. Great vocals, lovely melody and a beautifully arranged backing. It's a great song - one I would have been very proud to write. I'm getting the David Bowie thing as well and I can pay it no greater compliment.

A wonderful thing indeed.

M

High praise indeed! Many thanks, I really appreciate it as I know you are always honest with your feedback!

What a voice. The lyrics really got to me by the end, when you said she was still beautiful now. Haha. Really great song.

Many thanks ... it took a few re-writes, but I am very happy with how  the lyrics turned out! 

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
Hi Kev, I haven’t been around for a while so haven’t heard your interim stuff, but this sounds like a big step up in all areas! Get the Bowie comparisons, there are definitely shades of the thin white Duke. This is the best thing I’ve heard from you! Great song, production and well executed!
Excellent
Cheers
Jamie

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 06:01:24 PM »
Good song, I love the story it tells