A Big Hello and a small question!

• 6 Replies

Purple Cherry

• Busker
« on: January 03, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »
Hi to All!! Very glad to have found this site and I note the requirement to review others' work as part of the deal. Sounds like a great idea! I have been writing songs for years but only as part of a band. I am now hoping to write purely for publishers/other artists but intend to use my own home recording gear (BOSS BR-1600). Do you think that is sufficient for demo production, or do I need to invest in full-blown studio time each time I want to submit a song to the industry? Many thanks for your help.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 06:40:59 PM »
Do you think that is sufficient for demo production, or do I need to invest in full-blown studio time each time I want to submit a song to the industry?

Much depends on how you intend to record

The BR-1600 would be good for capturing live performances but I think you may find it a bit limiting if you plan to write and record on your own

If you plan on recording acoustic based "singer/songwriter" songs or "live band" type songs with a live band then it will be fine - although you mentioned writing and submitting to "the industry" so you may need to have a bit of a re-think for lots of different reasons (eg the industry mostly looks for what is CURRENTLY successful so to stand the best chance you need to looking at modern pop / chart music

If you already have a PC or MAC I would advise on getting an audio interface and a software based DAW

You will hit an initial learning curve but will quickly reap the benefits of a MUCH more flexible approach

Proper studio time with an experienced engineer will become VERY expensive VERY quickly - but would potentially yield the best result

Most publishers/labels are looking for demos to be "radio ready" and "broadcast quality" - they need to sound EXACTLY like what you hear on the radio

When pitching you are competing with the best in the world - there is no "little league". Others will have their own professional studios and session players on tap

However, you can achieve this at home without the need to book studio time

You could write and record your own "scratch demos" and then find someone to produce them in to radio ready demos (I offer this service for a very reasonable fee  ;D  ;))

If you could give a little more info on the type of songs you want to be writing, your existing equipment (mics etc.), what instruments you play, whether you sing etc. etc.

Once we know this we can give you a little more advice and guidance about the different approaches you can take to stand the best chance of achieving your goals
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Purple Cherry

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »
Thank you so much for your advice. I have a Shure SM-58 mic that I use for everything, and several guitars which I just DI into the BR-1600. And that's it! I want to be writing and submitting rock songs, so I guess the market is small if not non-existent. Anyway, here is an example of the sound quality level I can produce. I know this track needs a real singer on it, as opposed to the current guide vocal, but the question really is whether this is the sort of level that can be submitted to publishers etc. I know have the mastering levels too high, but am still learning the gear!
https://soundcloud.com/julianlorr/takin-it-back/s-Xnpda

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »
Hiya

This is all just my opinion but here are some thoughts...

I thought the "clarity" of the recording was good but I do think you would struggle pitching this song for a number of different reasons

This one is clearly a "rock band" type song - and unless it is absolutely guaranteed hit song material then they would simply use their own songs as most rock bands (or at least one or two of them) write the songs so would not tend to look outside for an "album song"

The "sound" is very dated - can you name any CURRENT artists/bands that this type of song would suit?

Here are some examples of "modern rock" that is of the type currently being looked for by the "industry":

Notice how interesting and hooky the VOCAL melodies are compared to your track - I think if you actually used the guitar hook as a vocal melody you would be going in the right direction

Also, notice how punchy and how much ENERGY these tracks have - with the right home setup you could very easily achieve a similar vibe

The biggest thing missing from your track for this genre (IMHO) are massive "in yer face" drums with a huge sound

Your current demo would be better suited to a band looking for a record deal - but it doesn't sound like a band "rocking out" and would need much more energy in the song (especially the drums)

The intro is also waaaaay too long for a demo that you intend to pitch - I think the person screening wouldn't have listened past the first few repeats of the same phrase - so I would suggest really tightening this up in future songs (or cut this one down)

There are some really nice sections (I really like the harmony guitars) and I think for the most part the vocal was very good but I do not think this is a very current or commercial sounding track

I would strongly suggest spending some time comparing your track to the ones I referred to above (which have been used as references for a real life music publisher in a current listing of "looking for commercial rock songs that have the vibe of..."

How do your melodies compare?
How does the tempo compare?
How does your song structure compare? (verse, chorus, twiddly solos)
How does the overall vibe compare? - for me you are missing the "big drums" and "punchy" guitars - but you do have lots of great stuff going on, which would sound much better if these tracks were "produced" (see below)
How does the lyric content compare?
etc. etc.

If you would like to hear your current song with a more commercially focused production / mix I would be happy to do a quick production for you so that I can show you a few of the things that can be done with a relatively modest setup (eg replacing the existing drums with bigger sounding and more energetic drums,)

If you are interested send me a Private Message via the forum - I would need to have access to each individual track (eg export them all and upload them to something like DROPBOX)

I am currently learning a new DAW software programme and hardware controller - I need tracks to practice on so I would NOT be looking to charge anything for this

I hope this helps - I can hear bags of potential in your track but I think you need guiding a little down certain paths if you are serious about pitching songs to the industry
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Purple Cherry

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »

Here are some examples of "modern rock" that is of the type currently being looked for by the "industry":

I would strongly suggest spending some time comparing your track to the ones I referred to above (which have been used as references for a real life music publisher in a current listing of "looking for commercial rock songs that have the vibe of..."

I highlighted the above quote, but, to be fair, could easily have highlighted all of your message as you have provided such thought-provoking and up-to-date advice, thank you! That sort of feedback was exactly what I needed and I sort of knew I was locked in "band" mentality songwriting-wise... something I urgently need to get out of if I am to make any progress.

The track is very lacklustre and the drums do not help - it was the pre-programmable ones from the BR-1600 itself. All very mechanical!!

It is immensely kind of you to offer the re-vamp but I will not trouble you on this occasion. You have given me much to think about and I really need to re-examine my priorities and my gear, I think!! Time to look around and do some research, (and some more writing!)

Thanks again!

Many thanks

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »
The other comment I would make on the demo is cut out the background noise at the start, before it kicks off. Easy to do on a PC/Mac (I use Audacity which is free for tidying up things like that)

Good luck

Dave

Purple Cherry

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 06:21:25 PM »
I use Audacity which is free for tidying up things like that

Thanks, Dave. It's all these little things I need to learn and experiment with. Am so glad I found this site. Such wonderful, helpful people! I shall do my best to give back to the members, commenting on threads where I have something sensible to say!