konalavadome

Rain Rain

• 38 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
It's a lovely song and sounds upbeat despite the morose lyrical overtones. It reminds me of happy days spent listening to pirate radio,so thanks for that memory jog.  :)

Sure you may be able to flow it with Knockin,but lots of tunes have trod that path and remain unscathed. Sometimes melodies just end up where they end up. If you are pitching a song such things may matter,otherwise just let it flow and don't over analyse.

giitlesriddles

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 12:51:09 AM »
Ayo, Writing as I listen
I like the background vocals. And I like your voice, reminds of whats her face, reminds me of christine mcvee. I like the composition but the vocals could be more forward in the mix.
I love the thumping bass. Good work with that! I really like the words to this, simple but catchy. I can hear this in like an indie flick. Harmonies are really effective. Good work. I like your song!
Cheers.

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »
This sounds really great to me!

Light and jangly - I can see why people say it has a 60s vibe, but at the same time it sounds like it could be one of the songs you hear played in-store in Hollister so also very of the moment, with a light, Americana feel.

A catchy gentle melody, and the slight angst in the lyrics give a nice "pull" to the song.

The voice and playing are lovely and certainly help show the song off in the best way!

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 02:36:04 PM »
Hey
You have a cool voice...nonchalant, like a female julian casablancas ;)

Agree with everyone about the poppy 60s vibe.
Would love to hear you try a more modern indie/folk sound. Maybe by losing the chorus effects on the guitars and the fake drums?
I reckon your voice would sit very nicely with either some acoustic-y folk-indie-pop music (Im thinking sufjan stevens Carrie and Lowell) or just adding a lazy drawl to strokes style garage rock :D

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 02:59:57 PM »
Maybe by losing the chorus effects on the guitars and the fake drums?

I'm not sure if Jess will be outraged or complimented by you thinking her drumming is fake. Those are real drums. We recorded this in my friend's third floor apartment, and it was getting late, so we had to muffle them with rags and she probably held back a bit. But I swear they're real.

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate that.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »
Maybe by losing the chorus effects on the guitars and the fake drums?

I'm not sure if Jess will be outraged or complimented by you thinking her drumming is fake. Those are real drums. We recorded this in my friend's third floor apartment, and it was getting late, so we had to muffle them with rags and she probably held back a bit. But I swear they're real.

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate that.

:D That teaches me for listening on crappy earbuds on the train

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 01:39:23 PM »
Thanks Katie

Thanks Paulx. Really flattering that you think you'd like anything I'd sing, but I can definitely prove that theory wrong. I have no range. It's why I write my own songs, so I can make something I can sing. Haha.

Thanks Kevin. A commercial one might slip in every now and then. ;)

Thank Viscount and Pompeyjazz. I always appreciate your input.

Thanks so much, Scott. You can ramble away. It's so nice to hear.

James, the BVs are my friends Jess (also on drums) and Joel (of the band Death Vessel, also on acoustic guitar and bass). They'll be glad you liked it. I have no range so probably a higher key would be awful. Haha.

PaulAds, funny, you don't seem miserable at all. Thanks so much for your kind words. This one is BK. Before Keith.

Rightly, I love Prince and he's influenced everything I've done, perhaps not in an obvious way. Thanks so much.

Keith, thank you for listening to it even though you have issues with it. You're the best.

Thanks crystalsuzy. That's good to hear. I think it's different enough, too, but was curious if anyone else thought it's too close.

Skub, I thought this would appeal to you, and be a good companion to Little Miss Monochrome. Thanks for listening.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »
Thanks Adam. I always like how you interpret my lyrics. Really interesting to read your comments.

Thanks Montydog. I'm glad you liked it.

Giitlesriddles, I think I've been told that before about what's her name. Haha. Thanks for all the other comments. My friends will like them.

Thanks dasntn. I think my roots are showing. Haha.

Thanks again Ramshackles. I'm all over the place stylistically, so there might be some of that happening in some of my other songs. I didn't tell Jess you thought her drums were fake, so rest easy. Haha.

Thanks once more everyone. I have had an awful few days (2 deaths in my family) and your comments are really lovely and make me feel better.

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »
Hey Redrhodie

Not the first song of yours I've really enjoyed. As someone earlier mentioned it's hard not to like your singing because you've got such a great tone! This song is lovely and with great lyrics.

I enjoy your music and look forward to hearing more. Thumbs up from me. I can't really offer anything constructive because I have no nits to pick here.

All the best

Darren

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
Hi Lynn, sorry to hear about your bad news.  Hope you are OK.
Just wanted to say I listened again and think you are completely safe with the Knocking on Heavens Door comparison.  I could only really spot that similarity in the first few bars and you quickly establish a very different feel.  I wouldn't expect a lawsuit from Mr Zimmerman.
Sending ya positive vibes.
It's all too beautiful.

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
Enjoyable listen - very retro .....in a style that i really like anyway so its a no brainer for me.
it will defiantly get a second listen. :)

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
Think this is the first I've heard of yours (but my memory may be playing tricks on me).
Anyway, I'm late for the party and basically joined in to say +1 to everything said about the 60's vibe, great vocals (that needs to come up a tad in the mix imo) etc.
A very pleasant acquaintance  :)

One thing, and it may just me my perception of tempo being askew but to me the guitar playing straight 1/4th's at around 1.27 and a few seconds onwards is a bit out of sync?

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 10:20:17 AM »
Hey Redrhodie

Not the first song of yours I've really enjoyed. As someone earlier mentioned it's hard not to like your singing because you've got such a great tone! This song is lovely and with great lyrics.

I enjoy your music and look forward to hearing more. Thumbs up from me. I can't really offer anything constructive because I have no nits to pick here.

All the best

Darren

Thanks Darren. The feeling is mutual. I like your songs.
Hi Lynn, sorry to hear about your bad news.  Hope you are OK.
Just wanted to say I listened again and think you are completely safe with the Knocking on Heavens Door comparison.  I could only really spot that similarity in the first few bars and you quickly establish a very different feel.  I wouldn't expect a lawsuit from Mr Zimmerman.
Sending ya positive vibes.

Thanks again Paul. I'm okay, thanks for the concern. I appreciate the vibes.
Enjoyable listen - very retro .....in a style that i really like anyway so its a no brainer for me.
it will defiantly get a second listen. :)

Thanks Morefrog Jones. Glad you liked it.

Think this is the first I've heard of yours (but my memory may be playing tricks on me).
Anyway, I'm late for the party and basically joined in to say +1 to everything said about the 60's vibe, great vocals (that needs to come up a tad in the mix imo) etc.
A very pleasant acquaintance  :)

One thing, and it may just me my perception of tempo being askew but to me the guitar playing straight 1/4th's at around 1.27 and a few seconds onwards is a bit out of sync?

That's entirely possible, Jambrains. We played without a click track. Also, the set up was such that we couldn't play all together, so we did guitars first, drums last. In other words, we're lucky it sounds this good. Haha. I'm glad you liked it, and thanks for the feedback.

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 08:27:17 PM »
So you ditched the guy because he couldn't control the weather. Despicable.
Is this sunshine pop or  raindrop pop? Either way it's impossible not to love the carefree vibe you get on this stuff.
That analogue sound is a winner with me aswell.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »
So you ditched the guy because he couldn't control the weather. Despicable.
Is this sunshine pop or  raindrop pop? Either way it's impossible not to love the carefree vibe you get on this stuff.
That analogue sound is a winner with me aswell.

Thanks so much, silver machine. Raindrop pop has a better ring to it. I'll go with that.