Ooops + open mic

• 13 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: January 02, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »
During New Year's Eve, it seems I may have agreed to do a live show in a local venue sometime this year.

It's a logical thing and I should do it, though I know I will be seriously terrified. Will be guitar and vocals. Main issue for me will probably be the vocals...

I might even do a dry run in the open mic section for those of you who won't be in Southern Spain when it happens...

Any hot tips from you more experienced types? (practice a lot, make sure you can hear yourself, tune guitars, practice more etc.)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:47:57 PM »
You’ll be fine  :)

I’d just say don’t bother playing anything you’re not happy doing...or if you’re not sure if you’ll pull it off.

I’ve always thought that the stage was a poor place to take a gamble  :)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »
Go for it Adam - You will be absolutely fine. Just make sure you stick to what you've decided to play  :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:46:58 PM »
The best piece of advice I can give is "be prepared"

Decide as soon as possible whether you will be using any "cheat sheet" - ie chord or lyric sheets on stage with you

If you are using paper then get everything sorted into a folder and put them in your setlist order

If you are using something techy (eg a tablet + ap) then practice with the ap

If you are not using any cheat sheets make sure you know the songs inside out

Practice, practice, practice

Remember - practice makes PERMANENT, not perfect

So make sure you practicing the RIGHT things

Eg if you will be performing standing up using a tablet for chords & lyrics make sure this is how you practice - ie don't practice sitting down using bits of paper!

Once you get the prep and practice sorted then you will be able to enjoy the experience

Final piece of advice for those not used to performing...

SLOW DOWN - when the adrenaline and excitement kicks in you may unconsciously speed up your playing - take a deep breath and try to play at the tempo you practiced

Good luck and most important of all - ENJOY IT!!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »
Work up to it.

You say, "Sometime this year". Sounds like you may have time to prepare by trying some smaller, less terrifying, events. Have you ever been part of an informal jam session? Get a few people together with guitars and play and sing together. Can you find some kind of public area where it's okay if you sit with your guitar and sing to yourself while people are somewhere in the background, but they aren't an official audience? In college three friends and I would sit in a student lounge area--two of us played guitars and sang while other students, filtering through the area (it was between the cafeteria and the dorms) would stop and listen. By the time we were done for the evening, the lounge was full. But it happened gradually over a couple hours and never felt scary.

Start with your easiest or "funnest" song. Even a silly song that makes people laugh. The first song is the hardest. Once you get going, the nerves recede, just leaving the rush of performing, which is cool.

And, by the way, you are not likely to appear as nervous as you feel. Last spring I did three songs for a local variety show. I haven't been performing much at all the past few years, so I was definitely nervous. I prepared really, really well. And I talked between the songs. I find talking harder to do than singing, so that was even more scary. And I worried about forgetting words, so I had a music stand next to me, where I could see it easily. I put a 3-ring binder containing the lyrics and chords on it. I put the songs in REALLY big print, with the chorus in a different color, so it was easy to pick out where I was quickly. I looked at it a lot while performing.

When I was done, my husband --who knows me pretty well-- commented on how relaxed I was, mentioning he would have been nervous. And he didn't even notice I had the words there right in front of me. Well, a little off to one side.

If you make a mistake, keep going. Don't make a face. Don't hesitate. Don't do it over. Most people will never know it happened.

And, finally, I'll repeat Boydie's advice to SLOW DOWN! Both talking and singing/playing. When you're talking slow enough to be understood, if you're nervous, you'll feel like you're talking 'wayyyyyy tooooo slowwww. But you aren't.

Plus everything else Boydie said....

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »
Funnily enough...I have always played almost everything - live - too fast...unless it’s a slow song- which I tend to avoid like the plague. To me, watching someone plodding methodically through something would possibly be torture. Music is somewhere I can lose the plot a little and just give it some welly...

This may not be the best approach for anyone else, of course...but that’s how I end up doing it.

It reminds me of an old joke about a chap on his wedding night who has all his moves figured out in advance...but once he gets started... :P

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
Record yourself practising. It helps, a lot.
Doesn't have to be any good recording-quality wise. Throw up a mic, iphone, whatever.

Listen through it and identify areas you need to work on for each song.

When I did a stint as a sound engineer, we would always record the sound check (and gig for that matter) for the artist(s) to listen back to
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:48:29 PM by Ramshackles »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:20:06 PM »
Funnily enough...I have always played almost everything - live - too fast...unless it’s a slow song- which I tend to avoid like the plague. To me, watching someone plodding methodically through something would possibly be torture. Music is somewhere I can lose the plot a little and just give it some welly...

This may not be the best approach for anyone else, of course...but that’s how I end up doing it.

It reminds me of an old joke about a chap on his wedding night who has all his moves figured out in advance...but once he gets started... :P

Yep, I've raced through a song or two at The Grand Hotel Ballroom Paul ;-)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
Got to echo what Boydie said - practice is the key.  You'll feel st ease if you rehearse often.  The chords and riffs will become muscle memory and the lyrics and melodies will simply become effortless.

Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
Thanks everyone! I think there's probably two parts to it (at least) - practicing the songs and then practicing performing. (And all the other practical comments definitely taken on board!) I do a lot of speaking and presenting for a living but the speeding up thing is still always there (though I take @Paulads point not to go the other way!)

Watch this space!

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
Something you need to know:

Never go first - the sound systems are usually set to the wrong setting and the sound guy will be changing settings while you play.

Monitoring - be prepared to hear yourself very differently from what you are used to if your songs include tone sensitive parts try to practice them with very low volume at home. (Example - we performed White Rabbit on stage and I had to sing it a 5th above the tonic, wrong monitoring obscured my inner voice and relative pitch and I messed up half of the song)

The lights will be "in your face" and will feel like a curtain, most probably you will be able to see the people 1.5 meters from the stage and only guess where are the others. Instead of looking for an eye contact just look in front of you horizontally and randomly change left-right. People will feel that you are connecting with the audience while you will be able to focus on playing/singing without awkward eye contact with strangers.

Never look at the lights, not even for a second. They are strong and you will have a big blur in your vision for half a minute. If you need to look at your instrument you goona gave a bad time.

Briefly, introduce yourself - who you are where you from.  Something like " Hi I'm Batman, we are the jokers and we will sing a couple of nice oldies tonight" and then start playing.

Connect, test and tune-up before you start speaking. while you look busy, no one expects you to entertain. But if you do the speaking and then deal with your gear it will be awkward for listeners and you.

When you finish, repeat who you are, thank the audience and give a wave. Pople will go back to their beers and the show will be properly over.

Don't touch the mike! There will be feedback! The sound guy will start changing settings in the mixer and all balance will be lost. If you feel uncomfortable with free hands, hold a guitar even if you don't need it for the song.

Record yourself and share with the forum. We will check if our advice helped you.
Have a great day!

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 05:58:43 PM »
Hey Adam,

This exciting news! I'm surprised you haven't done any live performance  before; I feel your style will fit nicely and will surely be spectacular.

Another great reading thread, bookmark material xD

No hot tips from me unfortunately as I don't have the experience, but I know 'live' phone recordings of ~10min sets have definitely made me more confident to perform if the chance were to arise, so would certainly recommend (plus seeing a post of that effect of tou on here will be a joy to watch).

Best of luck, and have fun!

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 08:08:15 PM »
I've got nothing to add to the advice already given but just wanted to say good luck!! I'm sure you'll be great - if you do decide to practice in front of a camera first I'd like to hear your performances and will happily give feedback.

Exciting stuff, let us know how you get on

Darren

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 10:11:01 AM »
Thanks for the brilliant tips and feedback - as noted this is a great thread to keep for posterity.

Let's see whether I can get some videos or livestreams or something beforehand and even on the night.

Thanks to all!