Vote For Your Favourite Forum Song!

• 37 Replies

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »

So maybe you're right, and there aren't enough of us to figure much into SOTM. That's really too bad. I think we few are a really strong group of women. I wish there were more of us. Funny how in the rest of the world we are the majority.

Lynn

the question you need to be asking if women are the majority is..where are they and why aren't they joining forums and writing songs,
we are not stopping females from being here.. :) :)
[/quote]

Why are you so sure it's a problem with women, and not something to do with this forum? I'm not sure of that. I've been on a cycling forum that is just for women, and there are lots of us, we are very active, and many of us have been there for over a decade. (But God help the man who dares post there. They are serious about it being for women. I know from that forum a lot of women have mentioned bad experiences online with men, so maybe that's the problem here). I'm also on a guitar forum and there are lots of both women and men there. It's a particularly safe and encouraging place. So there are plenty of women on other forums, that's why I think it might be something to do with this one. Are there less women writing songs? I had no idea. I wouldn't think that is true, but maybe it is? Weird if it is true.

But I think I'm offending you guys. I apologize. I meant no harm. I just thought maybe there was a sign up list for consideration of SOTM that I didn't know about.

Lynn

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 06:57:55 PM »

So maybe you're right, and there aren't enough of us to figure much into SOTM. That's really too bad. I think we few are a really strong group of women. I wish there were more of us. Funny how in the rest of the world we are the majority.

Lynn

the question you need to be asking if women are the majority is..where are they and why aren't they joining forums and writing songs,
we are not stopping females from being here.. :) :)

Why are you so sure it's a problem with women, and not something to do with this forum? I'm not sure of that. I've been on a cycling forum that is just for women, and there are lots of us, we are very active, and many of us have been there for over a decade. (But God help the man who dares post there. They are serious about it being for women. I know from that forum a lot of women have mentioned bad experiences online with men, so maybe that's the problem here). I'm also on a guitar forum and there are lots of both women and men there. It's a particularly safe and encouraging place. So there are plenty of women on other forums, that's why I think it might be something to do with this one. Are there less women writing songs? I had no idea. I wouldn't think that is true, but maybe it is? Weird if it is true.

But I think I'm offending you guys. I apologize. I meant no harm. I just thought maybe there was a sign up list for consideration of SOTM that I didn't know about.

Lynn

[/quote]

Lynn, your not offending anybody, your just shooting yourself in the foot, if there are few females on this forum it's because they haven't joined, who knows why?
there is no conspiracy here, were all too effing nice ::) ::)
this is an extremely friendly forum, I'm sure nobody has ever considered whether some one is male/female/white/black/third gender or what/whoever :) it's about the music..period!
your the first one to start the gender war ???
which never existed on this forum until now..
I never said there is a problem with women, I just said were are they then?
this PC dogma is ridiculous

best to you and chill..were your friends really :) :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:00:58 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
As one of the other 4? women on this forum, I'd like to say that I've always been treated with the utmost kindness and respect.  :)  There are definitely more men than women, but I don't think that's a fault of this forum, as it seems to be true on other song writers forums as well. I don't know why that is, but it's a fact. I hope you stick around Lynn...these guys will not turn on you for expressing yourself :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
As one of the other 4? women on this forum, I'd like to say that I've always been treated with the utmost kindness and respect.  :)  There are definitely more men than women, but I don't think that's a fault of this forum, as it seems to be true on other song writers forums as well. I don't know why that is, but it's a fact. I hope you stick around Lynn...these guys will not turn on you for expressing yourself :)

Weird. This is my first songwriter forum, and I really had no idea it's a male dominated area. I believe you. I just really didn't know.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »

Weird. This is my first songwriter forum, and I really had no idea it's a male dominated area. I believe you. I just really didn't know.

I play a lot of open mics
and know a lot of the local artists and the little groups they tuck themselves into.
I can say I'm certain there are a lot more performing
males than females.

I once heard a female artist complaining about this.
I must have been distracted at the time because I answered her without much reflection.
I commented that most of the male performers were (and still are) quite effeminate.

Whatever she wanted to hear didn't occur to me and the moment passed.  :)
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
Personally i think woman are a lot more sensible and probably think arse-ing around writing songs nobody will hear is a bit of a waste of time.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 06:47:33 PM »
uhmmm - what's the deadline for voting?

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »
Hey males and females and all variations that obviously occur quite naturally and equally.

Vote for your favourite forum songs from December's list at the top of the thread, by PMing me.
(Click on My Messages and take it from there).

Everyone who votes will qualify to have a song considered for January's Song of The Month.

Imagine the charisma and prestige that could bring ya.

Uh let's say voting closes on the 10th, winners announced on the 11th.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 03:40:16 AM »

Well hell shit woman what world are you fucking living in

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »

The one with Buffy Sainte Marie, Lucinda Williams, and Aimee Mann. You know, the real world.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »
oldbutyet
watch your language.
it doesnt impress anyone
which age are you living in is more to the point.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:56:38 AM by nooms »
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »
Great selections Silver

I have cast my vote but in honesty it's so hard to choose between them. I'd vote for them all if I could.

Redrhodie - I am sorry you feel that way but I really hope we can help make you feel more welcome. Please stick around because you are a talent and it does not go unnoticed.

All the best

Darren

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 11:47:38 AM »
As the forum owner I feel that if ANY member has a concern it is only fair that they can raise it without fear of being jumped on

LYNN was pointing out a fact that the competition nominees are male dominated, and so is the forum

Some of the "males" have naturally got defensive and made various claims about how the forum isn't discriminatory against females - but I personally strongly feel that if someone has raised an issue then it should be considered - indeed some of the responses kinda support LYNN's argument and could be considered male aggression, which is completely uncalled for and not acceptable on this forum

I will not be editing any posts to "let the record stand" but I think the BEST thing about this forum, as someone previously mentioned, is that the VAST majority of members here are just really nice people

I won't name any names but I think the most successful person now working in the music industry getting regular placements on TV is a very talented female from this forum

The other advantage of online forums/critique sites such as this is that there is the option for COMPLETE anonymity so nobody would ever know gender, ethnicity, location etc. - this would then place any "views" purely on the songwriting (and just because a female is singing a song doesn't mean they are the one that wrote or posted it)

I would also treat the SOTM competitions as a "bit of fun" - as many know I am not a fan of any open competitive songwriting as everything is so subjective, which is why we have different people hosting it - so it is more of a forum vote of someone's top 5 songs

It is only natural that the same songwriters get regularly nominated and that these are the ones that have been around for a while

I am sure there is a subconscious bias/expectation somewhere that a veteran songwriter will write an amazing song as they always do - this could be due to the fact that they have taken onboard the critiques from reviews over many years and actually improved their songwriting craft as a results

I do not think this thread is the best place for this kind of discussion (sorry for the derail SILVER MACHINE and thanks for the work you and others put in to hosting the SOTM) so hopefully it can get back on track now

However, I do completely acknowledge your concerns LYNN and please feel free to drop me a PM to discuss any further concerns/issues/suggestions to improve the forum

Now back to the SOTM...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 12:33:17 PM »
Maybe it would help if the rules were adjusted, I posted a track a while ago, and nearly got included but didn't have the 100 posts required for an entry, that might to dispel the "same old faces" vibe as it would give the newer members a shot.

Mikey

Oldbutyet

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »

The one with Buffy Sainte Marie, Lucinda Williams, and Aimee Mann. You know, the real world.

Nice one Lynn, my name is Pat and i agree there should be more women members here, us males sometimes do need a good kick up the back side, i apologize for my thoughts but only to you  8)

Damn i hope back side is not a forbidden language as well, can we be friends  :)