konalavadome

Vote For Your Favourite Forum Song!

• 37 Replies

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:54:12 PM »
Hey you Song of the Monthaf*ckers
I submit my ultimate forum Shiz List for December.

I tested these titans for discreet pitch stimulus, multimodal sensation overlap,
and antisomnogenic tendencies, and these five possess all of McGurk's seven required vibrations. Yep.

Uh, so identify your top three, and let me know which you feel strongly about. By PM

Aint That Enough - Viscount Kramer
 https://soundcloud.com/cramer1930/aint-that-enough-lcr-nearly

PaulyX - Give The Angels Telecasters
https://soundcloud.com/commodore-64/give-the-angels-telecasters

kevysc - Notice Me (Gothic)
https://www.reverbnation.com/kevinism/song/28957359-notice-me-gothic

shadowfax - Hear What I'm Saying
https://soundcloud.com/knmac/hear-what-im-saying-by-knmac

Pompeyjazz/ MoFoJo - Harbour Lights
https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/habour-lights
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:04:37 PM by Silver Machine »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:19:51 AM »
Honoured to be in your shortlist amongst such fine company Silver.
My vote is in.
Thanks for hosting.
Pauly
It's all too beautiful.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:52:22 AM »
Likewise honoured SM.

Thanks for the nomination. (Box of kippers in the post.)
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »
Why are so few women ever nominated for SOTM? It seems weird to me, but the nominations are predominantly male for as long as I've been here. Is there a list people sign up on to be considered, and not many women do?

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 01:14:24 PM »
Ah controversy.
Y'know I thought it would be tres cool to do Song of the Month. I'd felt a definite old boy network existed here and relished the opportunity to give some new blood a chance.
But after listening to everything I had a real predicament because these 5 were unquestionably better and deserved the accoloade, despite these guys being regulars on the podium.
My iconoclastic ideas didn't happen. Man, I wanted to present the new wave stuff but it just weren't as good. Positive discrimination is nothing but fraud.

Your question about the ladies, Lynn.  I can only think of four woman songwriters here. Statistically they aren't gonna figure so much, are they?

My suggestion is volunteer to do SOTM, then you can run it your own way, choose who you want. 

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »
Ah controversy.
Y'know I thought it would be tres cool to do Song of the Month. I'd felt a definite old boy network existed here and relished the opportunity to give some new blood a chance.
But after listening to everything I had a real predicament because these 5 were unquestionably better and deserved the accoloade, despite these guys being regulars on the podium.
My iconoclastic ideas didn't happen. Man, I wanted to present the new wave stuff but it just weren't as good. Positive discrimination is nothing but fraud.

Your question about the ladies, Lynn.  I can only think of four woman songwriters here. Statistically they aren't gonna figure so much, are they?

My suggestion is volunteer to do SOTM, then you can run it your own way, choose who you want. 

And maybe being referred to as "ladies" is offensive and why would any woman want to be here where the feminist movement never happened? Yeah, I know you're joking, but if you're wondering why there are so few women here, I can tell you first hand that that bothers me, and I've almost left over it. But part of the problem when you're a woman and you point something like this out, you're seen as not having a sense of humor, or worse, being a b!tch. So I've said it, and I know the impact it will have. I know you guys might stop reviewing my songs because I'm "difficult". Oh well. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I've been a woman for long enough to know what happens next.

So maybe you're right, and there aren't enough of us to figure much into SOTM. That's really too bad. I think we few are a really strong group of women. I wish there were more of us. Funny how in the rest of the world we are the majority.

Lynn

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
It’s just one persons opinion on what he/she wants to nominate...

“Song of the month” could mean lots of different things...I’m often a little gutted not to make the cut...but you have to either think “maybe my songs aren’t as good as I hoped they were” or just think “maybe it wasn’t this persons cup of tea compared to a,b,c,d and e”

SOTM has always been a source of curiosity for me ever since I joined. I don’t generally find the songs I like the most winning...and often they don’t even get nominated - and I don’t mean my own  :D

We only get about 18 voters...and 5 or so of them have to vote anyway...so by the time you add in a dozen forum diehards...nobody else seems to care anyway.

I could live without it, to be honest.

Anyway...my favourite song of this month is up there...so I’m off to vote for it now.

Great picks, btw, Silver Machine!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:01:46 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »
Yes, SOTM can be a strange beast indeed and I know we've discussed it many many times before on the forum. I have also had many months when my favourite song of the month has not been nominated in the top five. It's difficult as we're such a diverse lot on here in a lot of ways  :)

I think every host tries very hard to include what they consider to be the best tunes but tastes vary and that's absolutely fair enough

Juts because a song doesn't appear on the SOTM short list, it would very unfair for somebody to say that the song was no good   

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 05:30:48 PM »
I think the main value of the comp is to catch up on songs you've missed or forgotten about. Also for new members I think it's nice to hear a bit of a showcase of what kinds of things are going on here.

Anyhow, I've voted, and it was a pleasure to listen and do so.

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 06:38:12 PM »
And maybe being referred to as "ladies" is offensive and why would any woman want to be here where the feminist movement never happened?
Lynn

In my culture 'lady' is a term of respect and I intend to carry on using it like that.

Are women being treated badly here? I had no idea. Are you saying it's making them leave, or not consider joining in the first place? You need to to contact the forum owner.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »
And maybe being referred to as "ladies" is offensive and why would any woman want to be here where the feminist movement never happened?
Lynn

In my culture 'lady' is a term of respect and I intend to carry on using it like that.

Are women being treated badly here? I had no idea. Are you saying it's making them leave, or not consider joining in the first place? You need to to contact the forum owner.

I wrote a beautiful long post and it got lost when I got timed out.

The gist of it was please just use my name, there's something wrong if there's only 4 or 5 active women on this forum, and you picked what you liked, but I thought your choices would be different. And I apologized to this month's nominees if I have insulted them.

Lynn

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »
Quote from Lynn
And maybe being referred to as "ladies" is offensive and why would any woman want to be here where the feminist movement never happened? Yeah, I know you're joking, but if you're wondering why there are so few women here, I can tell you first hand that that bothers me, and I've almost left over it. But part of the problem when you're a woman and you point something like this out, you're seen as not having a sense of humor, or worse, being a b!tch. So I've said it, and I know the impact it will have. I know you guys might stop reviewing my songs because I'm "difficult". Oh well. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I've been a woman for long enough to know what happens next.

So maybe you're right, and there aren't enough of us to figure much into SOTM. That's really too bad. I think we few are a really strong group of women. I wish there were more of us. Funny how in the rest of the world we are the majority.

Lynn...
there is no way on this planet that a song is picked or not picked because of gender...
for gods sake get a life!!!
I will still review your songs without prejudice in spite of your stupid remarks....
it's not our fault there are not many females on the forum, (hope your not offended by being called a female)
 :) :) :)
this PC stuff is just stupid!!!
run the next comp, why don't you!! then you can pick just females.. :) :) :)
I will not be offended if the songs are so good that you just had to pick them regardless of gender!

by the way silver, my votes are coming soon! :) :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:19:55 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »

Lynn

[/quote]

the question you need to be asking if women are the majority is..where are they and why aren't they joining forums and writing songs,
we are not stopping females from being here.. :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!