konalavadome

SONGWRITER MANAGEMENT

• 11 Replies

devilhoned

• Busker
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
Season`s Greetings Everyone,

I`m a songwriter sending out songs to publishing and management companies. Had maybe an early xmas present when a MANAGEMENT company replied back what kind of deal I was seeking for these specific songs. This management company seem to represent performers mainly (many outside of music) and although I would crawl over broken glass to sell a song to one or two of their artists, I don`t see how I fit in with the rest.   Do you think this company getting ready to offer me something, or am I hampering my chances by not saying exactly what kind of deal I want?

Cheers

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »
It is difficult to say without further information

As always I would proceed with EXTREME caution and make sure you are aware of some of the "scams" - i.e. "We love your songs and could get [insert famous/impressive name here] to listen to it - you just need to pay us [insert amount of money that seems reasonable] to get a pro demo recorded etc. etc."

You should NEVER have to pay upfront to have a song "picked up" by a publisher, artist, label or management company (however, it is fine to pay for a better demo if this is something YOU want to do)

I would personally go back with a professional response - if it were me I would say something along the lines of "I am currently happy to look at any offers, whether it be an upfront "buy out" or agree a royalty split deal. I am also happy to look at single song deals if there is a particular song you are interested in"

I think this type of approach would help get a meaningful response from them if they are interested

If/when you get an offer I would recommend having the contract reviewed by someone. IMHO the best way to get this kind of support is by joining GISC (the Guild of International Songwriters and Composers) who can give all sorts of advice and guidance - and a year's membership will probably be cheaper than an hour with a music industry lawyer!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
Hi Boydie,

Thanks for the reply, especially on Christmas Eve.

They`re a reputable company, I`m not worried about that. They`ve even played the songs, so I don`t sniff automated response or `...but..at a price...`(I myself may have replied or set up a topic about a couple of guys with a track record in the Noughties asking for £500 to do a demo of one song, yes, the demo could have been better, but £500?! so I am `scam-proof`...). I have replied, but it`s only 3 days ago. I wish I had had your suggestion as a template but I was pretty close. I`ve sent out to other companies and got positive replies, so once there`s another sniff of an offer, I will use your wording to send a second email if I don`t hear.

Their website is great, and they have current `name` artists on their books,  it`s just their artists` music on the site are usually covers and the two artists I really admire write their own songs (mainly). I initially emailed inquiring if they accepted unsolicited song submissions, and they replied yes. Since they represent performers, maybe they need to see if any of their performer want to go any further with the songs; they`re not just not interested in songs for publishing.

Anyway, it`s all good.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 04:04:17 PM »
I initially emailed inquiring if they accepted unsolicited song submissions

That is a good way to start and MUCH better than just emailing links - or even worse attaching files!

It is likely to take some time for them to reply (especially with the Christmas break) so you will need to be a bit patient and resist the temptation to send a barrage of chasing emails

I would personally sit on your hands until the end of January and then if you don't hear anything send a polite and professional email subtly chasing - eg "is there anything else you need from me"

Good luck and keep us informed of how you get on

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »

I would personally sit on your hands until the end of January and then if you don't hear anything send a polite and professional email subtly chasing - eg "is there anything else you need from me

That`s what I was going to do, but the temptation to send off an email is SO strong!  From sending my email inquiring if the company  accepted unsolicited song submissions to last reply was a few days, so you tend to feel `let`s keep up the momentum..` but these things take time.

As for the initial email, I always send one. Unless they make it clear on their website they accept unsolicited submissions, I send a tailor-made or at least an adapted `template` email. I`ve only had one company not reply. I find them through the Music Publishers Association Online website (Members Directory) which filters out the companies that don`t accept unsolicited submissions.
If it`s management companies you`re after, there`s an easy to find website for unsigned musicians (which lists everybody and everything in the business) which I would recommend, with reservations.
Sent an initial email to a named person in a company in their list of publishers--got an email back saying that they had never heard of the website.
I`m liking the idea of sending to management companies who are looking for songs/songwriters. The big publishing companies won`t touch you without a lawyer/agent/management,and it`s usually the smaller/medium companies who will accept unsolicited material, who can do/offer you less.
A response to an initial email from a management company was `by all means do` but then they listened to my link said they liked it but they weren't taking on any more clients!
I`ll keep you posted, sent out about seven initial emails.

Cheers

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
That`s what I was going to do, but the temptation to send off an email is SO strong!

Be strong and hang in there - I would really advise that you do NOT send any more chase emails until, no matter how tempted you are - until at least the end of January

It is like fishing - if you try to pull too hard you may use it. Professional, patience and a "softly softly" approach is likely to be your best bet (although I appreciate it is really hard to do!)

My first publishing deal was very similar - everything moved really fast at first and then slowed right down. I managed to sit on my hands long enough to get the deal -  music industry time is completely different to the rest of world

I have heard stories of YEARS passing between an initial interest and a deal!!!

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 06:34:47 PM »
I`ll wait a few weeks until the end of January, no hurry. Concentrate on recording another song. If there is a bite here, I want a few things maybe angled more toward their roster.

I was in touch via LinkedIn with the Head of a music publishing company who seemed to like my stuff and contacted him about re-submitting new (better produced) versions of two songs already submitted plus one new song they haven`t heard. He didn`t say no, which surprised me. They usually take a month to reply. They`re mentioned by name in another thread here. So waiting for that feedback really. It feels like an `in`.

Cheers

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 12:02:51 PM »
CHASING SONG SUBMISSION EMAIL

Well I sent it out ,Boydie,following your template. Will report back any response. Haven`t heard

anything from other submissions, but know that my private Soundcloud links have been listened to.

So two replies out of an original half dozen submissions isn`t too bad.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 12:10:42 PM »
Getting the listens is probably more than most get so don't get too disheartened

These things take time

Have you posted the songs for review? There are many here that have publishing deals and if you ask for specific advice/feedback for songs you are pitching commercially you may get some ideas to tweak the songs to improve your chances

Good luck - you are doing all the right things  ;D

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 04:51:44 PM »
Hi

I put one of them in `Work In Progress`but forgot the lyrics,I`m getting the feeling the guidelines HAVE to be followed. The songs are out now,can`t tweak as paying someone to produce them,don`t think he`ll tweak for free--maybe on the next four songs.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 07:48:41 PM »
Hi

I put one of them in `Work In Progress`but forgot the lyrics,I`m getting the feeling the guidelines HAVE to be followed. The songs are out now,can`t tweak as paying someone to produce them,don`t think he`ll tweak for free--maybe on the next four songs.

I've noticed I do better getting feedback when I'm providing more feedback. You haven't had a chance to do much posting yet, so you haven't done much for feedback. Once people see that you're giving feedback, they'll be more likely to give you feedback.

That wasn't my reason for not responding to your song, though. I've been majorly distracted and have mainly been clicking "Mark All Read" every day on all the unread posts in the list. Just lately, I'm starting to get more back into it. So I hope to be able to help out the next time around.

Another tip for next time...more people respond to songs in "Finished Songs" than in "Works in Progress". If your song is basically all done and you just want feedback on how you might tweak it to improve it, I'd say to list it in "Finished Songs". I use "Works in Progress" for songs I know (or at least strongly suspect) I'll be doing more work on the words and/or melody. Songs don't need to be done all the way through production, mixing and mastering to go in "Finished Works". That's all polish. The song is the words and the melody. If you mainly want feedback on the mix, of course, post a relevant file.

Hope that's helpful. ?? ;D

Vicki

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »
Hi

Cheers for that,will try and give feedback for a while and upload a finished track. One track in particular I want to take from reggae to commercial pop a la Maroon 5