Forum Compilation Album

• 64 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 11:24:36 PM »
Difficult decisions all. My original idea was to be, just send me your best (Iyo) song and then it's a snapshot of time. Of course I'm into other suggestions but personally not into any sort of competitive element. Otherwise that's not a reflection of what is going on on the forum. Some of my favourite songs this year have not made SOTM so I have to disagree with that idea  :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 06:50:44 AM »
I'd be keen to submit something.

Agree wholeheartedly with PJ. Nothing that involves nominations or voting.

Some of my favourite songs this year have not made SOTM so I have to disagree with that idea  :)

My thoughts exactly.

Are numbers important? Do we have to exclude?
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2017, 08:18:47 AM »
I have to agree 100% with John and Ian.

To me, the song of the month competition is very rarely able to reflect what I love about the forum.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2017, 05:02:53 PM »
I vote for simple. If you are interested, submit a song and it would be included.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »
Sound fun. I like the idea of being able to refer to a web page with a mix of the music from this forum. It's kind of boring to say 'Check out my SoundCloud page' but to say this is a mix of artists in a forum I like gets more of that obscure mix tape vibe. Insert smiley.

I'm not writing any songs at the moment but I might change my mind in the near future.

Martin

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
Totally agree with keeping it simple. Will start collating submissions in the new year.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »
It surely is the time for miracles. Think I've written a suitable song.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Martin

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
This sounds like a great idea!  :) I'd be into submitting a song :)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2017, 02:24:12 AM »
Great idea Pompey. Being late to the the thread I can see lots of different ideas about how to choose the songs. In my opinion it makes sense to dig through the archives and resurface the best songs that have been on the forum over the years. Appreciate there's only a few here that could do that but it would be great for some of us relative newcomers to hear some of the best from the archives.

I agree with micky here.
I think it's a top idea!
Maybe too many would want to contribute?

I hope this thing takes off. If it's just for us, maybe just make everything digital and anyone interested can burn their own cd and print out any artwork. 
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

rightly

• Stadium Tour
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2017, 02:28:16 AM »
Difficult decisions all. My original idea was to be, just send me your best (Iyo) song and then it's a snapshot of time. Of course I'm into other suggestions but personally not into any sort of competitive element. Otherwise that's not a reflection of what is going on on the forum. Some of my favourite songs this year have not made SOTM so I have to disagree with that idea  :)

Well said John.

I'd like to suggest three songs submitted and someone else chooses one of those three...? 

And there you have it. 

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2017, 05:08:19 AM »
I agree with your original idea John :)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »
If this idea materializes
Won't there be just tons and tons of songs? Over a hundred?
Still I'm game for that too. 

There are particular songs from, for example paulski, paulads and John (the song " sleepy")
Which have left me thinking "wow!" For days.
If I could compile it, it'd be the best album ever, for me at least. Lol. 

Please, Keep me updated on this. I could record something new, just for the occaision.  ;D

And there you have it. 

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »
I also think your original idea is good, John. And it looks like enough people are interested. Why don't you go ahead and post guidelines and a deadline? If you use our usual minimum of 100 posts  (or whatever you think is reasonable), based on past experiences with occasional challenges, I suspect you'll get maybe 20 submissions?

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »
I think this could work and would love to participate, although I share reservations about getting it heard. My vote would be to digitally release via CD Baby (costs about $30), which gets it on iTunes and Spotify. We can then collectively use our imagination and resources to promote  it (e.g. get all our friends and relatives to put it in their Spotify playlists). This can only be good for everyone on the forum!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »
I have been following this thread with great interest

I think it is a WONDERFUL idea and the whole "Pawprint Album" project was fantastic and really pulled the forum together

As everyone has identified- the problem is selecting the songs for the album - or albums...

Most people know that I am not personally a fan of "competitive songwriting" and even though the competitions are a "bit of fun" I tend to shy away from them as they don't "feel" right to me as I find it difficult to be competitive about such a subjective thing as songwriting - and there is always a "winner" and lots of "losers"

Being realistic a compilation album can't contain 100s of songs so there does need to be some kind of selection process...
...so I would like to propose 2 ways for us to take this concept forward - and I am proposing we do BOTH

Option 1
A 12 track album is produced from the winners of the "song of the month" competitions in 2017
I would volunteer to do the mastering of each song and the album - so would need a volunteer to do artwork and then a volunteer to take on the digital distribution.

We could then decide whether all proceeds get distributed between the 12 (or more) contributing writers, given to a chosen charity, used to fund the forum costs, or any other options we can think of

Realistically I think we could turn this around by the end of Feb (or sooner if we agree on this quickly and all SOTM winners can get me their pre-master mixes to me straight away)

This could also add a little more "meaning" to the SOTM as we would not only be voting for the "best" song but also for the song to go on the year's compilation album, which I think would add an interesting new dynamic

Option 2
I REALLY like the original idea of a "snap shot" album showcasing the talents of the forum at a particular point in time

I think we should build on the PAWPRINT experience and find a charity to support (which will not only be a nice thing to do but will help publicise the album etc.  ::))

Once the charity has been identified, and agrees to be involved and support the project, we can define a "theme" (relevant to the charity) for everyone to write a song for and perhaps we could even write a proper "brief" with guidelines for writers

Each member would then submit a song by a set deadline and a forum panel would screen the songs to whittle them down to 12 - 15 songs

The only guideline around "quality" would be that songs would need to be "broadcast quality", which does NOT mean a fully produced song - a well recorded guitar and vocal on a phone could be fine if it is clear and well balanced. I know this is often a controversial area but if we are going to try to produce an album there does need to be a benchmark for recording quality

I think we could realistically set a release date for Summer 2018 and work back from there to give us time to get things sorted - eg get forum agreement, determine the charity, get permission, set theme, write brief, write & record songs, select songs, produce album then release

This would then give the forum 2 regular album releases a year - the song of the month compilation in Winter and a Summer charity project

I think this would capture what most people want without it becoming too cumbersome

It is POMLEYJAZZ's baby so I am happy to leave it to him to "lead" but as the forum owner I would love to be involved and get behind the project(s)

I think it would be useful to get some initial views from everyone on these 2 options and if it looks like most agree (we will never please everyone!) then POMPEYJAZZ and I can have a chat to put some "meat to the bones" and kick things off
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic