Cheggers goes pop  :P
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tomcrocus

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
I don't know anybody famous but i once had a part as an extra in the film
ALIENS 3 when i worked at Dawdon Colliery,county Durham,my name got
pulled out of the hat.They filmed a scene on a part of Seaham beach known
as the blast,i think there was ten of us extras and we all had to have our heads shaved,
i even got asked to stand in for the actor Charles Dance,a bit of ginger makeup and i was
good to go.The little known actress Antonia De Sancha,probably better known for her
affair with the then conservative politician David Mellor,was the stand in for
Sigourney Weaver.It was good money and a great experience,
                                                                                            Tom.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »
I don't know anybody famous but i once had a part as an extra in the film
ALIENS 3 when i worked at Dawdon Colliery,county Durham,my name got
pulled out of the hat.They filmed a scene on a part of Seaham beach known
as the blast,i think there was ten of us extras and we all had to have our heads shaved,
i even got asked to stand in for the actor Charles Dance,a bit of ginger makeup and i was
good to go.The little known actress Antonia De Sancha,probably better known for her
affair with the then conservative politician David Mellor,was the stand in for
Sigourney Weaver.It was good money and a great experience,
                                                                                            Tom.
Nice one. My mate does classic car hire and gets parts now, as an extra is some quite good movies.

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 09:42:59 PM »
Nope, not really.

But I played a game of pacman once with Lemmy at the Rainbow.

I also spilled a full beer over Max Martin at a release party.

Yes, I was completely hammered on both occasions.

So was Lemmy.

Max Martin not so much.

;D

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »
I once slept in John Tout's bed whilst he slept on the settee downstairs.

For those that don't know who he was he played on this and was a member of Renaissance

A few famous UK politicians know me by name but that's another life.

Royston

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 11:37:06 PM »
When I was about 16 I worked in a shoe shop in the Strand London as a junior salesman I was called by a senior salesman who was a nasty piece work shouting there was one of my kind wanting to be served.

When I got to the sales floor I could not believe my eyes I walked over and ask can I help you sir he replied yes and pointing a shoe on display 'do you have this shoe in size 6.

I said please take a seat and went to the storeroom Mr Nasty was standing nearby I said to him do you know who that is out there? he replied some bloody yob like yourself I said well Mr that just happens to be Paul Anka the singer songwriter who wrote he no 1 hit Diana.

I returned to my customer with the shoes he tried them on and asked me if I had the same shoe in brown I did not but phoned one of our other shops that did, he said that was fine and that I should bring them to his room at the Savoy hotel personally he paid for both pairs of shoes thanking me for the service shook my hand and slipped me a one pound note.

The next day I picked up the shoes from the other shop parceled it up took them to the hotel where I was stopped by hotel reception said I had a parcel for Mr Anka he said I'll take that but I replied I had to hand it to Mr Anka personally a call was made and i was allowed to deliver my parcel.

When I got to the room I was invited in he took the parcel went to his wallet and gave me another one pound note and thanked me, as I was now away from the shop I could not resist telling him how much I played and liked his song he shook my hand saying he was pleased that his music was being enjoyed.

As for Mr Nasty I told him that the commission I had earned from the two pairs of shoes and the two pound tip from Paul was what I would earn for a 35 hour week basic salary.

In March of this year I went to see Gilbert O'Sullivan in Concert at the Shanklin Theatre and met him after the show I was intending to ask him about how he wrote his songs however there were still people behind me so bottled out he asked my name signed the album I purchased we shook hands seems a really nice guy all in all a very pleasant evening. 

Cheers

Royston       

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 07:50:48 AM »

My X wife was the daughter of one of Maggie Thatchers top advisors.  Through her I met
 a lot of the politicians and business leaders that were around at the time.  Prats !! Every
 single one of them.....pompous, arrogant ass holes ;D ;D . Especially Hesltine.....we don't
 know how lucky we were, that he didn't become PM.  Funnily enough,  Maggie was OK ::)
 She was very down to earth.  I really do believe that she thought that what she was doing
 was best for the country.  She was just very badly advised, and was surrounded by self-
 serving, corrupt bastards, who were only thinking of themselves and their paymasters. My
 father in law can be included in that gang....Of course she was wrong.  It's because of her,
 and subsequent Blairite and Tory govenments, that have championed the capitalist cause,
 and their own bank balances, that we're in the mess we're in today.....IMHO.  Where have
 all the people of Honour gone ?? and where is the Protest Movement ??  Surely it's not being
 left to people of my age ;D ;D ;D.....bit of a rant :o ::) . sorry ::)

Also, Herbie Flowers has been a sort of neighbour of mine for many years.  I've met him a few
 times.....very nice guy. Very involved with the local community, and young musicians.  You can
 still see him around, gigging with local bands.....he's getting on, over 70 now I think, but he's
 still living the dream ;D......he's an ardent communist as well ;D ;D ;D

MERRY XMAS xx

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »
Great story, Bin!

My dad was talking to the dad of one of the Downing Street police protection squad on holiday years ago...and he said Maggie was the nicest, most honest and down to earth one that he’d ever known. She’d be doing the washing up and asking him how his family was and if he’d fancy a cup of tea.

I grew up living next door to my local MP...I remember being about 18 and us both sitting in our front gardens, smoking our pipes and having a chat over the garden fence. It was said that politics is just a game played out for the benefit of the general public. Not by me, though...

Rumour had it his wife allegedly killed herself in the house next door but it was all hushed up.

Oops  :o
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:50:57 AM by PaulAds »

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »
I worked with a guy about 14 years ago who used to chauffeur at Denham film studios and Pinewood...took all the old stars around Sid James etc...funnily enough the only one he said he didn't take too was  Norman Wisdom, thought he was a  bit of a snob.

And trawling the memory again, when i was 14 ish , i was making my way through Woolworths in High Wycombe , cos it was a short cut to the high st, when i walked on to an advert being filmed with Anita Harris, i recall her looking at me a bit startled, also saw Eric Sykes doing a Barclays advert on HW high st..

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »
Speaking of neighbors, these are folks who I don't really "know", but I do see fairly regularly around town, since I live in a small little suburb, and they both live in my area:

James "JY" Young, the lead guitar player for Styx, lives a couple of blocks away from me. I'll see him at the local Starbucks sometimes, or just around the neighborhood. He might recognize my face, because of that, but he certainly doesn't know me, not I him. Still, all of my interactions with him have been very nice and pleasant. By all accounts from folks that I do know who know him, he is one of the nicest guys on the planet. I worshipped Styx when I was a little kid in the 70s, so it's a little surreal for me, still, that he's just a neighborhood guy in my small little suburb.

Jim Peterik, from Ides of March and Survivor, the guy who wrote both "Vehicle" and "Eye of the Tiger" lives a couple of towns over, and maintains a bit of a higher profile. I've seen him at the guitar shop and at the grocery store, and a few other places. One time I had to know, so I asked him if he wrote the horn chart for "Vehicle" in addition to the rest of the song. He told me that he did, when he was 16. "I had no idea what I was doing. I just kinda sang it to somebody who knew how to transcribe it and it turned out great." Agreed. One of the best horn charts, ever.
Jim is a bit of a character, but a pretty nice guy, too.

These are my neighbors.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
I wonder if either of their wives did likewise?