konalavadome

Are You Still There?

• 25 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
Hi CS

Well we've come to expect the unexpected from you and this is no exception to the unexpected we expect  ;D ;D I liked it - it's unique and unpredictable. I love the piano parts and the flute?
Maybe wait a bit before bringing in the harmonies, but there I go trying to impose the expected on you  ;D ;D

Good work on the video too - sad and yet the people seem to have so much humanity and strength of character. The music is well matched to the visuals.

Nicely done
Paul

What an unexpected review that was, Paul  :o ;D  :o ;D I wasn't sure how the flute would come off in a kinda blues song, but so far it's pulling it's weight  :) Sorry about bringing in the harmonies so early, but I always feel like my voice doesn't hold up, all by its lonesome self ::)
thanks for the kind remarks and the kudos on the video :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:38:48 AM by crystalsuzy »

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
I liked this quite a lot.
I was put off when you wrote 'blues song' as normally I'm really bored by the standard 12-bar formula.  Here though the choices of instrument (that flute), the unusual vocal melody, and the harmonies were enough to keep it fresh to my ears.
My 2 suggestions would be...
- The guitar sounded rather thin and tinny to me... could you fatten it up with effects / reverb somehow?
- In a few places your voice sounds 'lispy' (like you're saying 'drugth and thuiside' rather than 'drugs and suicide'... particular around that section).  Are you using a de-esser?  Wind it back in a bit if you are.
Lyrically you're tackling a heavy topic; the lyrics are quite 'straight' but then again I don't think you can be too nuanced or playful about such a subject matter.  Overall I think I like your less conventional songs a bit more since they really turn my head around lyrically and musically, but I still felt you've stretched the blues in an interesting direction with this and if your friend was looking for something original yet blues-based for his project, then I think you've hit the nail square on the head with this.
Thanks for listening and your kind remarks PaulX :) The guy that did the video, did the final mix on this song, so I can't really do much with it at this point ::) I have to agree with everything you've pointed out though. The guitar sounds thin and I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the 'lispy' thing going on, because it wasn't in the original track, even though I do have a bit of a lisp sometimes :-[  Like I mentioned earlier, this was one of my first attempts at songwriting, so it's pretty straight, compared to what I create these days  ::) thanks for your supportive review  :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:58:58 AM by crystalsuzy »

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
finally got around to listenng to this.

this is a refreshing take on that old blues progression.
you make it sound quite unique
Production and lyrics are top rate.

Really enjoyed the listen. Super!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 10:36:10 PM »
Lady you sound like some hippie chick from the 1960s, Grace Slick or someone. Awesome.
Really liked the groovy flute and the 60s harmonies. Backing was too low, the organ and piano sounded real good but I couldn't hear it like I wanted too.

Lady, lyrically your'e describing the world as its always ever been, it aint nothing new, dont get depressed about it.
In the words of the prophet John the Bon Jovi, “We gotta hold on to what we got, doesn't make no difference if we make it or not, we got each other, thats a lot etc etc”

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 12:04:59 AM »
Well this is a bit mainstream for you.

There's lots I like about this and there are also elements that I'm not sure of, but kind of work given the nature of the song and the cause.

There is a dissonance than runs through this, from the sometimes slightly clashing vocal harmonies to the straight piano motif against a swung beat. It would be interesting to hear it homogenised and for everything to be textbook but I fear it may lose a bit of its soul in doing so.

An engaging listen.

Yodasdad

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 03:42:23 AM »
Crystalsuzy, this song, embraces your trademark quirky approach - I enjoy your work because it is so different. I've listened to your vocals getting better and better down the years and think that your singing is wonderfully unique. Your choice of intervals in the melody is unexpected and therefore is becoming a trademark of your work.  Another highlight, is the choice of instrument. The flute sounds great. The mix needs a little attention and the guitar should be tightened up a little but overall, the ingredients are all here and I as always enjoyed another song of yours.

Paul
thanks so much for your kind words Paul :-* Thanks for the kudos on my vocals...always a week spot for me, but I appreciate that you thing they're unique and getting better :) I'm never quite sure if the instruments I add will work, so nice to hear they do, in some way. I didn't do the final mix, so can't really fix it, but I agree that it needs a little TLC  :-*

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »
Hi,

Quite odd song and I like most of the parts. The blues rhythm does not fit to my ear.
The flute gives nice feeling.

refusedrevival

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »
Man, I need to figure out how to make a good video. There’s just something about the two things combined that can just lift a song to higher heights. Your song fits these pictures perfectly Suzy. Awesome job.

Haha! I laughed when I read you saying it’s not a conventional blues song, because that’s just how you roll mate, and that’s what I love about your music...it’s completely original to my ears. Keep up the good work mate.  ;D

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 01:24:24 AM »
Excellent lyrics Suzie. The flute ? gives the song a real haunting feel as does the bar room piano interludes. The song kinda shuffles around nicely, dragging the listener in. I though there were some touches of Patti Smith. I thought it was excellent  :)
thanks so much for listening and your kind comments John  :) That's what I was going for with the flute and piano, so thanks for picking up on that  8) I like some of Patti's stuff, so thanks again :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
Pompeyjazz read my thoughts a Patti Smith vibe going on here.
Also for me PaulAds nailed it in his interpretation, to be honest though I felt I would not have listened to it all the way through if it had not been for the video behind it I felt it carried the song along.
cheers
Lilly
thanks for listening and watching the video lillypilly ;D For me this song is all about the video and the message  :)

I loved it. Great vocals. Felt like the 60's. I watched the video, too. Very moving.
thanks so much for your kind comments redrhodie  :) I loved the 60's vibe  8) thanks for watching the video  :)

Hi Crystal Suzy.

Great effort. I like the song, and the lyrics and you've tackled head on a subject that is always sadly needing addressing. Tended to agree it's Paulyx s review. I think the vocals are a bit over powered. They totally dominate the delivery and the other instruments feel thin in comparison. I would consider tweaking the mix as its not quite hitting its potential for me.
thanks micky, I'm glad you liked the song :) it's such a different style for me, but it suited the video :'(
I totally agree about the mix...the vocals are overpowering, but I had no control over the final mix ::)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 11:30:51 PM »
finally got around to listenng to this.

this is a refreshing take on that old blues progression.
you make it sound quite unique
Production and lyrics are top rate.

Really enjoyed the listen. Super!
Thanks so much for listening and your kind comments Rightly :) I'm glad you found it unique and refreshing...means a lot  :)