konalavadome

Headlights on the Ceiling

• 28 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »
I'm not Lynn either. I didn't write the song. You'll have to ask Lynn what she thinks about Dylan.

I'm just explaining why I think the title is ok.

You have an interesting interpretation of the song, not the same one I have, but then I'm weird.

Keith

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 05:25:58 PM »
Touching lyrics, well written and very sad. Love the soundscape that you've created. I thought initially there was a sort of Cocteau Twins feel to it. There's a good melody. Excellent stuff  :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »
Kev, thanks so much. I think Keith has done a good job explaining the production. I like your point about the chorus sounding too much the same. I agree it needs something.

S.T.C. Thanks for the reminder. I'm not sure if it's Keith or I who is not Dylan, but it's probably safe to tell both of us. As to your thoughts about the "rules" of songwriting and the title needing to be in the chorus, well, I can't tell if you're being ironic? Your unconventional use of a space before a comma suggests you are. Sometimes as an American, English humor goes right over my head, but I can sense a rebellious streak in you. I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks PaulyX. Very nice to be compared to them. Thanks.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment Wicked.

Thanks Mutrin. I really appreciate that.

Silvermachine, I always love your reviews. Yes, I lock myself in my attic and make these for fun. That anyone listens and likes them is beyond me. I'm so grateful.

Paulski, haven't thought about the cowboy junkies in years. Very cool. I used to dig them.

Keith, you are not Dylan. Don't forget it. But you are too kind, as always. Thank you for everything.

JoeAntaine, you are also way too kind. Thanks so much.

Pompeyjazz, very glad you liked it.

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
very enjoyable listen - nicely delivered.
Sweet sounding until you read the lyrics.
nice job.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »
I’m late to this one, sorry about that  :-[

I’m pleased that nobody else is Dylan...in fact, I’d have been even more pleased if Dylan hadn’t been Dylan either. One was more than enough, thanks.

Anyway...love the vocals in this...the “in the morning” lines are sung particularly nicely and I quite enjoyed the feel of the production...there was an interesting contrast between the sometimes almost child-like optimism of the delivery clashing with the subject matter and the music did kind of highlight the feeling that all is not well with the world.

I applaud your venture.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
Sorry I'm late to this one too. Had the luxury of listening to this on headphones. It's a sweet, sweet song. Love the melodies and the guitars.
Now here's my crit. The bass is sublime in the first half of the song. Lots of subtle contrasts , but the bass playing drifts and smetimes comes in late at times later in the song.
Tighten up the bass line and you've got a classic here. There's nothing wrong with the rest of the production r mix in my opinion.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
I’m late to this one, sorry about that  :-[

I’m pleased that nobody else is Dylan...in fact, I’d have been even more pleased if Dylan hadn’t been Dylan either. One was more than enough, thanks.

Anyway...love the vocals in this...the “in the morning” lines are sung particularly nicely and I quite enjoyed the feel of the production...there was an interesting contrast between the sometimes almost child-like optimism of the delivery clashing with the subject matter and the music did kind of highlight the feeling that all is not well with the world.

I applaud your venture.

Thanks Paul! I understand what you mean. I feel that way about some other legendary artists. You can't like what you don't like, can you? But I'm glad you liked this one and my singing. I worked hard on that. It's a pretty difficult one for me to sing well. Glad I did okay.

Sorry I'm late to this one too. Had the luxury of listening to this on headphones. It's a sweet, sweet song. Love the melodies and the guitars.
Now here's my crit. The bass is sublime in the first half of the song. Lots of subtle contrasts , but the bass playing drifts and smetimes comes in late at times later in the song.
Tighten up the bass line and you've got a classic here. There's nothing wrong with the rest of the production r mix in my opinion.

Thanks Micky. I'm glad you liked it. Interesting point about the bass. Hopefully Keith will explain why he played it that way.

Lynn

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
real nice writing style

A relatable story

oh I didn't like the end there! lol

But really nice n' dreamy narration
such a sweet voice

Thanks for sharing
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »
real nice writing style

A relatable story

such a sweet voice

Thanks for sharing

Rightly,

Did you not like the lyrics or the music at the end?

Thanks for the kind words about the rest of it. I appreciate that, and your criticism, too.

Lynn

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 08:36:04 AM »
I totally enjoyed listening to this song...had to go back for more ;) I loved the gentle vibe of this track that contrasts nicely with the heavy subject  :) Really good song writing IMHO :o
Very sweet vocals, again contrasting with the heavier lyrics :)
I also liked the way it was produced...good job Keith  :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 03:30:39 PM »
I totally enjoyed listening to this song...had to go back for more ;) I loved the gentle vibe of this track that contrasts nicely with the heavy subject  :) Really good song writing IMHO :o
Very sweet vocals, again contrasting with the heavier lyrics :)
I also liked the way it was produced...good job Keith  :)

Thanks so much, crystalsuzy! You're too kind!

Lynn

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »
real nice writing style

A relatable story

such a sweet voice

Thanks for sharing

the music

Rightly,

Did you not like the lyrics or the music at the end?

Thanks for the kind words about the rest of it. I appreciate that, and your criticism, too.

Lynn
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 02:33:01 PM »
Very poignant and I always think a song that has a real soul and story to tell like this one benefits from a more relaxed and raw sound.

Having said that, I do think a bit of polishing on the production would enhance it and, just a minor thing but the timing on the bass was occasionally slightly out.

An enjoyable listen though and a song to be proud of.

Yodasdad

Psmeaney

• Busker
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »
I love this song. It reminds me of the 90s staying up late and watching MTV alternative had loads of cool songs like this. In my opinion everything works perfect an definite alt hit to me