Ordinary Things

• 17 Replies

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
Nice structure and repetition of the title. I think it goes off the boil a bit at 1.05 - this tune/hook of this chorus/break/pre chorus bit is not nearly as catchy or well formed as what went before. I'd consider trying to come up with something different to go here (from 1.05 - ~ 1.24). You need a really strong melody/hook in this part.

The 'hey dont worry' that comes after is nice, the harmonies really make it stand out.

Overall I think its pretty good for that pop/singer songwriter 'teenie' genre :D. With an improvement to the pre chorus it could be really great.

Production wise, I think stripped back with just guitar and vocals is a good choice. The only downside here is that it is fairly drowned in unflattering reverb - just leaving it dry would've probably been more interesting than this kind of reverb!
He sings it great though. If you can, I'd get the raw vocal tracks off him, re-record the guitar with a stereo mic setup (X-Y pair or something) with a slightly stronger/more rhythmical performance.
Mix wise I'd tone down the reverb a lot and also make the reverb a little darker (maybe just a low pass EQ on the verb). Some kind of darkish plate reverb or a smallish room (or mixture of the two).
Guitar recorded in stereo (i.e two mics panned L & R) will give a lot more width and depth to the track and make room for those vox through the centre.
Also not such a drastic HPF on the guitar, since its gotta carry the 'bass' of the track as well.
Do that and I think you've got a winner.
In my opinion....  ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:58:46 PM by Ramshackles »

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
Thanks for your concise FB.I'll pass it on tho those that understand music speak better than myself. :D
High pass filters and all!!!
But seriously , i know it needs re-doing to take it to another level. I'll ask him for the raw vocals then.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »
Hi,
I think this is a really good song. It's very relaxing to listen too. It tells a good story that keeps your attention. The singer has a great voice! I do like stripped back songs like this where the entire focus is on the vocalist and the songs story. It works for this song so as you develop it bringing in more production etc i would put this demo that you have right now into your DAW and use it as a reference track that you can keep switching back and forth too to keep you focused. Doing that will also help you to keep the feel and sentiment of the songs message because you have the reference track right there to keep checking and comparing with any new additions as you take it to the next level.
A great song just as it is but with more production i am pretty sure that you can and will take it to the next level no problem.

Johnny :)