Backs against the Wall (Europa Days)

• 19 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 10:57:39 PM »
Hi,

Killer riff chaps! I have to say that the production/mix sounds terrible to my ears. It's very muddy and indistinct, the vocals don't sit well and I don't like the distorted effect. I have listened to both versions and I think the whole thing needs to be remixed from scratch. Maybe ask someone on here to have a go - there are some very talented techie types who excel at such things. I don't think the song has a chance sounding as it does. Sorry ;_(

M

Hey MontyDog. Really appreciate honest raw feedback. Ive had a long think after this post and decided to remix and reboot as best i can. Ive completely removed the synth as i felt that was competing with the bass and contributing to the muddy effect. I also toned down reverb and echo on the vocals. Any distortion now is down to the microphone at the time of recording, no artificial effects. Ive also re recorded the whole bass line too just for the heck of it too. slightly different  notation now.

heres the new mix.
https://soundcloud.com/mickyplankton/backs-against-the-wall-3

Great song, nice riff and good energy but pretty much with Monty re production (unless that is the sound you were going for, still did not cut it for me).
Drop me (Jambrains) a line if you would like me to give it a go, I'm not saying my mix would be better but it would at least different  :)

/JB

JB really appreciate the offer. Pompey has also offered to remix one of my songs. Unfortunately i dont currently know how to extract files and send them to you via Garageband (my DAW) so that option is not available in the short term. However if you are inclined, listen to my own remix and i would appreciate if you can discern if its any better. Thanks all.

Micky

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 11:18:44 PM »
Hi Micky...on Mac...if you control-click on the GarageBand project (xyz.band) and select "show package contents" then go to the "media" then "audio files" folder - all your tracks should be there...then you can copy them into another folder and share them with dropbox or one drive or whatever...

I had a couple of listens and it's improved quite a bit...you're getting there, but I think maybe the vocal recording might still need looking at...I still really like the song!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 08:41:06 AM »
This is much improved mix wise Micky. I love this song and it's really coming together. Vocals a bit more clearer and up front maybe to give it that Clash "in yer face" feel  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
Only listened to v3 and the riff is the star, with the general 70s / 80s style energy coming next.

It does still sound a bit "mono" to me - could be my system. I also needed the lyrics in front of me (though that also has to do with the genre and so not a super massive problem).

The vocals aren't studio-sounding - but they are live-sounding and I think that actually really suits what's going on here. Seriously I think you could stick on some crowd noise and say "recorded live at the [insert punky venue of choice]" and it would work (don't ask me how to do this convincingly, though!). Just a thought.

Whatever, it's definitely fun to listen to - good music I would say.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 08:28:22 PM »
Micky, good energy took me back to about 1978, which is good thing.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..