• 27 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for the lovely feedback:-)

Everything sounding really good here - BVs in particular give it a roundness and fullness which feels great. I like the way you keep the metaphor going all through so it could really be about a bird but we all imagine it's not.

Every now and then I thought a dramatic pause before the Cornflower Blue lines could add something poignant and let the previous line sink in but who knows, it's beautiful as is.

Thanks Adam. Jan does a great job on the BVs - I shall pass your comments on. This song was basically an exercise in how to get in as many words as possible that rhymed with "Blue" and still made sense!

This is so good! Everything works in it and supports other parts.

That song is so sad, it's a romantic one but I got distracted mid listening and missed some parts and on the first listen it made me think about letting your kids go into the world. Then I listened again and there we go, another string struck.

The whole mix sits exactly right!

BTW - you had 666 followers, sorry, I ruined it :)

Bloody good job! 666 is the Mark Of The Beast :o The song is sad i guess but at least they had a magical time while it lasted. I hadn't thought of it in terms of children leaving home but I guess that could work. The mix is all down to Neil who is indeed a master at it. And producing. And arranging. And all instruments he turns his hands to. I am not worthy.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Its different being responsible for working on someone elses tune rather than your own. I really enjoyed putting a delicate arrangment around Alans lovely tune, all topped off by their top vocals.
 :)
Neil

All true and I'm glad you enjoyed it - my musical incompetence does not make me the easiest to collaborate with. You have the patience of a saint!

Thanks for listening one and all.

M

Krysoe

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »
Hi Alan, what a great song and melody I like it a lot :).

0:3 - 0:6 sounds like a little out of synch backslash on the guitar - but that's minimal man

More please  ::)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 10:16:44 AM »
I really liked this song. The harmonies are great.
I imagine this song sounds good in a lower key too.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 06:22:41 PM »
Very sweet and sentimental song. Easy on the ears. Brought me into a field on a sunny day. Made me think of the bicycle scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Lovely.

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »
Hi,

Lovely song, I like the melody and the feeling of the song. Maybe I miss a small change in drum beat.
Nothing else I want to criticise, well played and good production.

refusedrevival

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »
Love it!

Melody, performance, production!!! Just all around great work guys, and Mrs Monty!  ;)

The verse absolutely knocks me out me every time! The lyrics are perfect! And the spot on production to top it off!

I wish I'd written it!

Superb!

Cheers,

Peter
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:57:41 PM by The S »

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 11:21:59 PM »
Beautiful poetic song. Evokes the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkels mellower output. Love the idea and the lyrics. Very gentle and a throwback to when songwriting could be simple and effective without massive production. As it is, the production is accomplished too. Great work chaps!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »
Glad I didn't miss this one!
Just great.
Made me think of Lloyd Cole at his best.
All the parts gel very well, the BVs and guitars are sublime, and it has that "happy/sad" feel (both lyrically and musically) that is so powerful.
Old fashioned? possibly... but timeless? definitely.
It's all too beautiful.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 10:39:04 PM »
Old fashioned? possibly... but timeless? definitely.

That's it! - Timeless... that's what it is!

The time signature changes keep it interesting. I'm curious whether it might make it more of a feature if there were fewer of them - i.e. for some of the "Cornflower Blue" lines, to skip the count of 2 at the start of the line, and for others to keep it - maybe keep it for the first of each pair and lose it for the second of each pair... Just a pondering...

Love where the guitar gets a bit jangly just before the instrumental, and then I totally love the instrumental.

The mix of vocals is superb.

Very lovely, nice gentle summery sound. Added a bit of warmth and brightness to my November evening!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
Hi Alan and Neil,

apologies for the late bump but my ears have been blocked for a couple of works and are almost back to normal.

Great song and production, a very enjoyable listen on a cold Sunday morning.

Keith

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »
Great song that puts a good taste in the ears, and wonderful landscape of sounds. The lyrics are really The mix is wonderful! Muy buen trabajo.  Hasta pronto. Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 11:37:19 PM »
What a lovely, classic song. It's recorded quite quiet though - compare it to others in your stream, don't you think?

But easily amended, and you can't put a good song down! Lovely! ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
First off....what a beautiful recording........your recording equipment, and how you use it is awesome. I wish I could get that dynamic a sound ;D
The writing, is right up my alley......has a slant of Gordon Lightfoot.
Hey....that's a nice little rhytum you have there in that acoustic guitar ;)
Your singing is nice and clear and emotion overflows in the melody.
Good stuff, man!!
                                    8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee