I Ain't No Angel

• 13 Replies

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 28, 2017, 04:10:27 AM »
Hi Folks....Fresh off the tape...got a new recording......please feel free to share your thoughts, and first impressions are most welcome. Just a 1+1, and am hoping to get a much bigger and more lively production of this.
Thanks, in advance!
                                    -Tom
"I Ain't No Angel"
Words & Music by Tom Tognaci
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13661477

You can take the best from me
While you’re digging a hole into my heart
You can hurt my pride, shake my will
You can take it all away from me
But, I ain’t no angel
I’m of flesh and blood, you’ll see
I have not walked the road less traveled
And there’s no halo’s light on me

Born to lose the soul in me
To every painted-up face selling romance
So, if you take your shot, shoot to kill
‘Cause you may not get another chance
‘Cause, I ain’t no angel

You can justify any thing you do
You can cover your tracks with your pretty lies
But, there’s just one thing you need to hear
Before you spit in these snake eyes
I ain’t no angel
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »
I thought that was absolutely great, Tom. Lovely set of lyrics and a really well sung performance. I'd normally be saying that a 1+1 should be left as a 1+1, but actually I think a big arrangement might suit this one (although I don't think it should be more lively - this has a feel that really suits the story line).

Top stuff and really enjoyable!

Derek
West Country Country Boy

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:34:27 AM »
Really nice song and strong vocal delivery: this works as a stripped down but would also be good with strings!

I would consider adding a bridge after the second chorus, before coming back to the final chorus.

Nice job,

Kevin

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »
Hola, I enjoyed the song, like this, pure, the guitar and the voice. Great sing and lyrics. Hasta pronto. Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »
Its a good song and your vocals are good also. Im getting a Knocking on heavens door vibe coming through , but it is , it's own song ..thinking the outro should have a bit of electric guitar just to see it off?

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
Great vocal performance and a top drawer song.....would be nice if it built a little towards the end, maybe some some laid back strings and the introduction of a bass line..not keen on the fade out..

as good as anything out there really and a damn site better than anything the ginger munchkin has done IMHO..

best, Kevin :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:34:03 AM »
Nice one Tom - we've missed your great voice 'round these parts  ;D ;D

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 07:53:57 AM »
I thought that was absolutely great, Tom. Lovely set of lyrics and a really well sung performance. I'd normally be saying that a 1+1 should be left as a 1+1, but actually I think a big arrangement might suit this one (although I don't think it should be more lively - this has a feel that really suits the story line).

Top stuff and really enjoyable!

Derek

Thanks Derek.....so nice to see you......and I'm looking forward to hearing your new tunes.
I'm glad you like it..........it always makes my day!!

Really nice song and strong vocal delivery: this works as a stripped down but would also be good with strings!

I would consider adding a bridge after the second chorus, before coming back to the final chorus.

Nice job,

Kevin

I have just the "thing" as an outro that just might fill that empty need you are feeling (at least I hope so)
Thanks for commenting.....I appreciate it!!

Its a good song and your vocals are good also. Im getting a Knocking on heavens door vibe coming through , but it is , it's own song ..thinking the outro should have a bit of electric guitar just to see it off?

Thanks man....I mulled that one over and feel it's unique enough....the electric version is much more uniquely distinct.......you'll see ;-)
Thanks for commenting!!

And thanks to all who have listened!!
                                                             8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »
Hi Tom
Mellow song... I listened before reading the comments and was about to type that it's a bit too close to "Knocking on Heavens Door" but I see that's already been noted.  If a few of us are noticing that though, maybe that's a sign that it does need to be distanced from it a bit - as you say, I'm sure a different production in the electric version will take care of that.
I also didn't think it should fade out but should reach some kind of resolution (but I do have a personal bias against fade outs!).
Lyrically I like the kind of 'veiled threat' in the words - it makes me wonder what the narrator is about to do, when he says 'you'll see'.  Sounds like there's some revenge brewing?
Looking forward to hearing the electric version.  Somehow I could imagine this as a Dave Grohl / Foo Fighters kind of song, starting mellow and then exploding.
Good weekend mate
Pauly
It's all too beautiful.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 10:17:32 AM »
First up. It's a great recording. Not easy to get 1x1 spot on, but I think you've done it here. I also got the knocking on Heavens Door vibe. Some of the guitar chords and rythm is identical. Whether it is too close for comfort, my view is you are ok. There are some distinctly different vocal melodies so your good there. you have a great voice. Lyrics are well done. All fits together very nicely. Cheers Micky

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »
Oh, what a voice you have  :'(

I have missed hearing your music on the forum - you never disappoint. This is once again a first rate piece of writing and performance. Mesmeric singing throughout. I too get a certain "Knocking On Heaven's Door" vibe but that is a good thing to these ears. A stunning piece and so good to hear you again. It faded out too fast.....
M

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »
From the first bar I thought, this reminds me of Dylan, then very quickly as others have mentioned, the comparison to knocking on heavens door was unmissable.

Neither of these are bad things though are they really. The amount of times I've written something that I think sounds great and then realised it's coz I'm using the chord sequence to knockin on heavens door!

Obviously the angel theme adds to the similarity but I think this is a strong song in its own right.

Great vocals and the acoustic compliments perfectly.

Yodasdad

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »
Hola, I enjoyed the song, like this, pure, the guitar and the voice. Great sing and lyrics. Hasta pronto. Mora

Thanks you very much mora....... ;D

Nice one Tom - we've missed your great voice 'round these parts  ;D ;D

Thanks Paul!

Great vocal performance and a top drawer song.....would be nice if it built a little towards the end, maybe some some laid back strings and the introduction of a bass line..not keen on the fade out..

as good as anything out there really and a damn site better than anything the ginger munchkin has done IMHO..

best, Kevin :) :)

Thanks shadow......no fade out in the other version (that I'm gonna work on, some day)
....btw, who is the "ginger munchkin"  ???
Thanks for commenting!!
                                                          -IronKnee

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »
Hi Tom
Mellow song... I listened before reading the comments and was about to type that it's a bit too close to "Knocking on Heavens Door" but I see that's already been noted.  If a few of us are noticing that though, maybe that's a sign that it does need to be distanced from it a bit - as you say, I'm sure a different production in the electric version will take care of that.
I also didn't think it should fade out but should reach some kind of resolution (but I do have a personal bias against fade outs!).
Lyrically I like the kind of 'veiled threat' in the words - it makes me wonder what the narrator is about to do, when he says 'you'll see'.  Sounds like there's some revenge brewing?
Looking forward to hearing the electric version.  Somehow I could imagine this as a Dave Grohl / Foo Fighters kind of song, starting mellow and then exploding.
Good weekend mate
Pauly

Hey there Pauly....thanks for commenting! Ya, the fade out was to expedite the finalizing of the 1+1 recording......the recording does have some bloopers. Glad they aren't an issue  ;D
Anyways.....thanks for stopping by!

First up. It's a great recording. Not easy to get 1x1 spot on, but I think you've done it here. I also got the knocking on Heavens Door vibe. Some of the guitar chords and rythm is identical. Whether it is too close for comfort, my view is you are ok. There are some distinctly different vocal melodies so your good there. you have a great voice. Lyrics are well done. All fits together very nicely. Cheers Micky

Thanks Micky for the thumbs-up......it's greatly appreciated!

Oh, what a voice you have  :'(

I have missed hearing your music on the forum - you never disappoint. This is once again a first rate piece of writing and performance. Mesmeric singing throughout. I too get a certain "Knocking On Heaven's Door" vibe but that is a good thing to these ears. A stunning piece and so good to hear you again. It faded out too fast.....
M

Thanks Monty......the 1+1 was recorded one night, and was posted the following. I have ambitions to re-record this with a more up-scale sound, using electric guitars (time, permitting, of course)
Hey....thanks, again for taking the time to listen......it's all we mere mortals have  ;D

From the first bar I thought, this reminds me of Dylan, then very quickly as others have mentioned, the comparison to knocking on heavens door was unmissable.

Neither of these are bad things though are they really. The amount of times I've written something that I think sounds great and then realised it's coz I'm using the chord sequence to knockin on heavens door!

Obviously the angel theme adds to the similarity but I think this is a strong song in its own right.

Great vocals and the acoustic compliments perfectly.

Yodasdad
Thanks for listening and commenting, YD........it is always appreciated!!

And thanks to all who have listened!
                                                           -Tom
                                                          -IronKnee