konalavadome

Sending music to other songwriters/producers

• 6 Replies

TheMayer

• Busker
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:16:23 PM »
Hey all,

Just looking for some advice here. So I just sent a demo of one my stronger songs to a producer/songwriter who has worked with some established artists. I did this as I’m looking to play with a composition. Have I made a mistake by sending something like this without any copyright on the song?

If anyone could give me their 2 cents on the matter that would be helpful.

Cheers,
Vish.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »
Hi,

You've got copyright on the song, assuming you wrote it, its automatic as soon as its created in a tangible form.

The only question is whether you can prove it if the need arises.  Did you send it via email that you have a record of, is the song online anywhere that you could point to, have other people heard it that could swear to it, do you have early drafts of it???

None of this is proof but it would certainly help.

Did you send it unsolicited or was the publisher expecting it? If the former, they're unlikely to listen to it anyway.

If you're worried, I would just gather whatever evidence you've got, but to be honest, I wouldn't worry.

Yodasdad

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »
It depends on whether you've an existing relationship with the producer and if you trust them not to rip you off. IMHO they'd be more likely to collab with you more often if they like what they hear and see £ in it rather than to rip you off. After all, as Boydie always says, why take the golden egg when you can have the goose. Good luck with your endeavours. Sounds like exciting times for you and that you're moving in the right direction

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »
Sorry, misread your post, I thought you said publisher.

If you're in the U.K. You can join the guild of international songwriters and register a copy of your song with them.

I would get some written evidence of the producer acknowledging receipt of your song, preferably with a description of it.

Are you paying for a service etc?

Yodasdad

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:34:38 PM »
I really wouldn't worry

An established producer is NOT going to risk their reputation "stealing a song"

I completely understand the fear but if you have happened to write a hit song everyone will want the goose that lays the golden eggs (i.e. You)

Lol - I was actually typing that as you posted!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »
Well I've done it 9 times, not including stuff I've pitched ..all but one ,is copywrited .In fact got an email that my latest creation is ready to review . Music theft does happen..but it must be a risky thing to do..I dare say some of the stuff posted on here gets lifted.?

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »
Something else to take into consideration is what will happen if you DON'T send it to this producer? Is it likely to gather dust on your hard drive? This producer seems to have some useful connections. Might he be ale to get some of the 'right' people to listen to your track? Would you be able to do this on your own without the producer?

There's a natural apprehension about sending stuff on but I think it's a risk well worth taking given the cost-benefit analysis and the fact, as stated above, that the chances of being ripped off are probably not that high.

You'd be amazed at who gets to hear the stuff you pass on to well connected producers that you collab with. Even if the song isn't what they are looking for at the moment it might be something they'll come back to and at least if they like it enough they'll come to you with future ideas/collabs.