• 26 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
I think what DelBoy's getting at is more AI development and machine learning. At some point the computers will be able to analyse the most popular songs, 'understand' or deconstruct what makes them tick. Then they'll use the knowledge as a template to write new songs which they'll also be able to produce entirely without human assistance or use of musical instruments. Just knowledge to zeros and ones, which when compiled into a wav file, will be the most popular song of 2026.

The comment about people not realising it until a fair while after the event is probably accurate too. I have a feeling computers are already doing much more than the media/ tech world is telling us. In fact, did you know that Saudi Arabia recently granted actual citizenship to a robot? Strange and scary times.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 09:12:55 PM »
I think that's not only plausible but probably a natural progression. I mean we've driverless cars and the like now. I wonder though if these machines/bots will be able to self-learn to the point of coming up with a curve ball 'outside the box' genius idea/hook/lyric the odd time? That's be the scary part!

100% bang on the money Tone re technology being more advanced that we are told. Invisibility, for example, we are led to believe has been perfected to over 99% - but IMHO it's probably been perfected 100% years ago. Mobile phones, drones etc all used in the intelligence/military sphere years before released into the public 'leisure' domain.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
IMHO this conversation kinda verges on elitism at times and seems to imply that writing commercially is not legitimate nor difficult. I've said it before and I'll (continue to) say it again, if writing these pop songs that apparently pander to the lowest common denominator are so easy to write why hasn't anyone on here written a smash hit and made £$? I think the big hitters like Max Martin are due a lot more credit than they are given at times on here. Defining what is popular, now and lucrative is no easy feat and yet these peeps have consistently done it.

First of all, the hit songs become hit songs because the labels saturate the airways,TV , Internet with them..this is a fact.
It cost between 1-3 million dollars to sign and promote a new artist..any Taylor Swift track for example gets a million spent on it..at the moment at work ,i'm having to listen to Heart radio..they must play the same songs 10 times a day...you get to know the song whether you want to or not.

Maybe people on here have written a smash hit...do you know what these big songs start out has? sometimes they're  simple acoustic songs, then they get processed to death....
Also this is not a site that favours commercial pop , so there's a surprise.

Max Martin is clever...he can organise music using ,music maths , so many people get a credit on these songs now, hard to say who contributed what really..there's a lot to say for high production values , that's why i've paid for such services myself.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »
Not sure where you're getting this elitism vibe from STC. I certainly am under no illusions that writing a hit song is easy. But you're also right about the marketing required to make a song a hit, regardless of the song itself.

My point was more about human processes being overtaken by machines. It won't just be pop music - it will be classical, jazz and everything else on the spectrum. I mean - imagine being able to compose and perform an entire symphony without ever having to pay a composer, conductor or orchestra ever again, let alone studio costs, engineers etc etc.

Everything in this world is being reduced to an ever-evolving algorythm. Who knows, maybe the machines will end up better than us at all of this? I don't want that outcome, but we just don't know.

I certainly wasn't belittling pop or max martin though.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
I'm well aware that most hit songs start off as a basic acoustic guitar/piano track in some form but I'm not sure why you were raising that point or what it was adding to the discussion. Indeed, I may  have been presumptuous about the smash hit point - but, in my defence, no one has disclosed their smash hit success for me to know/think otherwise. Kudos to such folk if they are quietly going about their forum business! I guess I should qualify the smash hit point by saying I meant that no one on here has broken into the UK Top 10 or the US Billboard in the same way and in the same time frame and with the same consistency as Max Martin, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran etc.... I literally mean a 'smash hit' like Baby One More Time, Shake it Off, Shape of You etc.

I don't buy the 'hit songs are only hits because of industry hacks' argument. Yes constant exposure and slick PR certainly helps and yes those backed by the millions of the industry are beneficiaries of this but ultimately n the final analysis the song has to be catchy/hooky/good enough to begin with. Whatever about how they are promoted and who they are promoted by/for, in substance they have to have that little something about them that will help them appeal to people. In many cases they are promoting a tried and tested product that they know will work. Listen to some acoustic covers of modern hits and you'll see even in their most stripped back form they have a commercial appeal. There was an interesting thread on here recently about being objective enough to evaluate one's own songs. Being completely frank and truthful can you say that when listening to the songs on Heart in work you really thought for even the slightest moment that your own songs were catchy/hooky/ as appealing as the ones you were listening to were? Could you genuinely imagine one of your songs coming on next and it feeling completely at home among the well polished, well written and well performed songs with proven commercial success that you were hearing?

IMHO Max Martin is more than just good at musical maths, he is incredibly talented. He wouldn't have cornered the pop market if he was simply a guy with a keyboard in one hand and a calculator in the other. It wasn't today or yesterday or last year or even 10 years ago that he was ripping it up - he's been at it since the Ace of Bass days. He's got a musical background so I'd hazard that his success is down to more than some chicanery with octaves... Again he's doing it with algorithms and with software that is available to people on this site - he isn't drinking the blood of anointed virgins or taking ground-up unicorn penis in his tea to give him the magical ability to write these songs! The key is, though, that he has a substantial degree of talent and has honed his craft meticulously over the years. That, plus an acute understanding of musical maths - that is REALLY knowing what works, what doesn't, when to stick to the rules, when to break the rules and how to do this in a way that 'clicks' - on a very gifted level, I'd submit, are the reasons why he has written a list of hits that far surpasses anything we are likely to accumulate between us times a thousand.

Also, why wouldn't it be legitimate to co-write with several people? You seem to infer Max Martin is somehow doing something wrong by writing with others and splitting credits. Modern technology has made collabing with many more people much easier. For instance,  when MO and Major Lazer were writing 'Lean On' they were sending each other stems via the net from wherever MO was touring at the time. The current state of play is that many hits are written by songwriting TEAMS rather than a single team; literally, one team working on an intro hook, anther on the chorus, another on the verse etc. I don't think it matters if a song is written by 1 person or 100 people if it ends up appealing to people and tops the charts. It isn't wrong or devoid of talent to do what Max Martin and others do. In fact, it's a proven route to success...

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »
I quoted sing4me88 Tone☺ not quite what his point was either.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 07:50:51 PM »
Not sure where you're getting this elitism vibe from STC. I certainly am under no illusions that writing a hit song is easy. But you're also right about the marketing required to make a song a hit, regardless of the song itself.

My point was more about human processes being overtaken by machines. It won't just be pop music - it will be classical, jazz and everything else on the spectrum. I mean - imagine being able to compose and perform an entire symphony without ever having to pay a composer, conductor or orchestra ever again, let alone studio costs, engineers etc etc.

Everything in this world is being reduced to an ever-evolving algorythm. Who knows, maybe the machines will end up better than us at all of this? I don't want that outcome, but we just don't know.

I was quoting sing4me88 ☺ not my words .

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 07:57:13 PM »

Nothing you posted gave me that vibe but when the general conversation coalesces around talk of 'proper songwriters' it's hard not to detect an undercurrent of elitism whether that's intentional or not.

I concur 100% re the rise of the machine. I wonder though will the machine that replaces the bass player still be the 'poor cousin' of the machines... my turn to indulge in a spot of casual elitism ;)

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 08:57:14 PM »
@sing4me88

Just popping my head in to say, yes I concur! In my book Max Martin is a genius. A very very talented and hard working songwriting genius. I've seen it with my own eyes and also know people who work/-ed with him. (Sweden ain't that big ya know?!?!)  ;) The man absolutely loves music and always have!

Peter
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:58:55 PM by The S »

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 09:09:20 PM »
Amen to that Peter. Finally common sense prevails! I'm well jeal that you've seen Max Martin at work and know peeps that have worked with him. They guy is my songwriting mancrush to the nth degree! I'm a huge fan of the Swedes (and other Scandinavians like Kygo, StarGate etc) who have brought commercial pop music to a dizzying new level production wise. Your people are clearly a very talented bunch and it's either something that's in the DNA code or in the water - if it is indeed that latter any chance of shipping a few gallons of Swedish drinking water my direction ;)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
Interesting thread.
The idea that the essence of what is liked in music can be engineered is kind of dark. But if molecules can be put together by the atom a binary composer is not far away.

The problem is that very much of the music that has been made sounds the same. A lot of songs are just borrowed parts put together both from songs and from genre conventions. Do we really want to make a computer that tears down a wall in our pretty pop music dollhouse?

The music industry has produced the same music for 70 years. Just different hair cuts. People need bad music. They make it. Sometimes they make good music and that's bad.

Most of the time people just don't want to give a damn. And the want to do so listening to music.

So this robot Bach can't be learning from the best. He's gotta learn from the lame.

Martin

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 07:00:51 AM »
I'm not sure about the whole Max Martin debate  - keep it going guys, I feel a consensus coming.

About the Robot music - it already exists (http://mubert.com/  https://www.jukedeck.com/) - soon it will become mainstream and we would not be affected (we - the people in this kind of hobby)
If it's successful - it will replace the current bots (sample packs, autotune, soulless-ill-do-anything-robo-humans). The top pop stars will be affected and the labels will profit and this is where it ends.

The amount of listening time "ear time" is limited and over saturated anyways. Background pop music can be already made by bots, I wouldn't know or notice. The top of the top pop music which made it against the odds regardless of having an actual soul will still get there anyways - it works against the current anyway so what will change for it?

On another hand, people value handmade stuff more and more, this happens right now even though the robots are not even part of our lives in a way which will demand counterreaction. There is a surge in DIY classes for anything, handmade stuff is getting more and more popular even for smallest of things (etsy.com and all the local Sunday markets). The actual vinyl records outperform digital sales, the live music arena is growing (at least where I live). The value of actual human-made craft is rising on all fronts.

All of this and more indicates to me that the future of pop music might be going back to live-performing megastars (not rock, probably something new) and perhaps a separation of pop into genres which will indicate - background pop from human pop with dedicated usage according to your current needs.
How about a hybrid?
Music is played according to what you see on your screen (like google ads) and if the content of the screen identifies emotional response (prolonged reading time, weird mouse jerks or scrolling) it will switch from Robot music to Human music to enhance your listening. Isn't that the Idea of pop music? Making easily accessible emotional context available on demand?
Have a great day!