Is this who you are
Your core and heart
Paula all I wanna do is dance with you
Paula you are pulling me apart

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 03:49:49 PM »
Hi Fellswell

Sandra's Song? But Sandra didn't show up  ;D ;D ??? ???
Lovely rhyming in this and running/funny is inspired!
The different number of lines in each stanza might make it difficult to "musicate".
Maybe look at getting rid of the heart/apart cliché couplet.
But it flows nicely and is just opaque enough to be mysterious  ;D ;D

Good work!
Paul

Fellswell

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
This is a little rough but it shows the tune well enough.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1iUh7LyXdz6

tomcrocus

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:41:48 PM »
Hello Fellswell,
                      well i assume Sandra must be somebody!
yeah it's got some nice rhymes in there."I'm the tumour you avoid",
"I'm the bastard you avoid" is more to my liking but it wouldn't really
fit in with the song. Great effort,best wishes,
                                                                   Tom.

pacho

• Busker
  • Just write and sing!
    • Pacho Music Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »
Whos Paula ?
What is her relation to Sandra?

I would like to hear it recorded but with music too , I looking after it

Fellswell

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 04:52:04 AM »
The title is a joke. The song is about changing to fit expectations. Having a song named after a woman is cliche. This was my attempt to turn the format on its head. It was also a bit of a tongue in cheek way to imply that I don't only choose words based on their sound. I felt rhyming around a meaningless word would be an ironic statement, also, that the meaningless word is a name, something that carries much weight in song. There is no Sandra or Paula, they are just vessels for words. I thought perhaps using a different name would set this idea in the reader.

I feel that I am at the point that if I were to start recording my songs I would be stuck on the same words and meaning that I've already passed over. There is just too much at this point, writing is my passion and I feel that putting lyrics to music is mostly meaningless. It is just a tool to water down the words to make them stick and palatable to a generation that doesn't have the patience for poetry. I am only moving forward when writing new lyrics, not trying to make my lyrics as infectious as I can with the hope of gain or continuation of my ideas. If my thoughts and words have any merit, maybe they will be picked up some day. If not, the internet is a big place and there is no harm in it. Also, I've been hung up on the idea of songs that aren't put to music or even spoken aloud, just read. I realize this is what a poem is but personally, songs sound better in my head and I've tried my best to pinpoint the aspects of writing that hit the brain almost musically.

And I only know how to play the siren.

This is completely off topic here and has minor spoilers for season 2 of Stranger Things but it just clicked and the author is an absolute genius for putting this trail of breadcrumbs. There are two characters, Bob and Billy that never interact but represent the opposite sides of humanity; animal instinct and the ability to think beyond basic need and the desire to spread influence. Bob figures out that the creatures from the upside down are weak to water. It is shown clearly in the show, there are several hints that point to it cryptically and Bob dies with the knowledge after just using it to save himself. Side note: the theme of the circle and being locked in a cycle was prominent and Bob inputted his code in the shape of a triangle (very symbolic and sounds like over analysis but it was clear). Anyways, the tunnels created by the mindflayer were circling every lake in the town. There were so many hints as to water being their weakness that it seemed obvious the humans were going to flood the tunnels.

Water was not used to defeat the mindflayer but it to defeat the people responsible. When the private investigator suggests that they "water the story down" so that it would be palatable and believable. They completely ignore the alternate dimension in the evidence they give and are successful.

The show is filled with philosophy and symbolism that takes analysis to understand. The show is made for as wide an audience as possible and the philosophy and the true meaning has to be buried under as much entertainment as they can fit. I think leaving those paying attention and analyzing every detail wondering where water fits into the equation was intentional. The last mention of it was with the private investigator and he is describing something parallel to what the author herself was doing in writing the show. Only those truly paying attention to the symbolism would appreciate the statement and only they would find it.

Noah Hawley is also a fantastic author for this sort of thing.

Sorry that was incredibly off topic but I did warn you and that was going to really bother me until I typed it out.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:32:10 AM by Fellswell »