Newbie Novice in Need of Knowledgeable Insight

• 6 Replies

montecristo

• Busker
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
Hi all,

I am an independent writer, musician, multi-media producer, videographer and director......Sounds good on paper but like most of us....It isn't enough to be the only job. I am working with some great people though and am doing something I love....namely....writing songs.

I have just written, produced and directed a track/video for a new singer called Eleqtra. She is UK based and I would love some feedback before spending the -all too necessary - dosh on promotion.

Great to hear your thoughts on the song, the singer, the video...anything really.

Many thanks, Thank you so much for your time. Look forward to being part of the community.

MC

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
Hi MC.

I really do hope you become part of the community,we do get a fair percentage of folk who post a song,but never involve themselves or interact on the forum.

What you have made here is quality. I found the song very moving and entrancing. Elecqtra has a beautiful voice and the song is strong,the video a compelling watch.

I know shit all about promotion or marketing,but I wish you and Elecqtra all the best.

Oh and welcome to the forum,if you do stay.  ;)

Krysoe

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »
HI MC,

What a nice little piece of music you've created
The recording is fine in ballance and with a nice clear sound and atmosphere.

The video also works well with its simple style - I think a simple change of light will give an even stronger emphasis on the message in the lyric.

super well done

KER :)

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
Great song, very simple but very effective, the vocal is great and so is the video, the only small negative is that I would have preferred if she kept the eye contact all the way through and just broke off at the very end.

Just a minor point and only my opinion.

Great first post, hope you hang around, its a great place to swap ideas and get honest constructive reviews.

Mikey

montecristo

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »
Thanks so much for the feedback. It is enormously appreciated. Didn't know about this forum until recently but am really looking forward to learning lots and hopefully offering something to share. A genuine thank you all for taking the time to listen! MC

Purple Cherry

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 03:12:07 PM »
Hi,
Firstly, both this song and the video are excellent - so well done on both counts! Nice job!
These are my thoughts, but they are, of course, only personal preference so keep that in mind:
1. The chorus is quite distinctive, and is has a definite "hook" feel about it, although I feel it is robbed of the full effect because the verse and the bridge are quite loud in the mix and arrangement. There doesn't seem to be a gradual build up, and I think the chorus would really benefit from that.
2. To help the chorus stand out I wonder if a second melody line could run in the background, as a harmony, perhaps with a deeper, more present orchestration of strings in the background than that which is there currently.
3. In the instrumental, it would be good if the singer did not move her mouth (she appears to swallow a couple of times). If the only movement here was eye movement I think it would be really powerful.
4. Lastly, is the piano a garage-band style machine or similar? It seems to have no expression. I think the song would benefit from the sort of expressive piano you might find in an Adele song, that sort of thing.

They are only personal views. I thought it was a really, really great song and deserves a lot of airplay. The right mix and production for that song would reflect its genuine individuality. A really emotive song.

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 02:13:53 PM »
Hi MC

really liked the song - very beautifully sung, and a good strong melody, especially in the chorus. Hope that you can get somewhere with it!

cheers
Dave