Elizabeth Knows (Write and record in 1 hour project)

• 22 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:22:02 AM »
I've just tried a little experiment where I set myself one hour to write and record a song from scratch, including lyrics and would be interested in any feedback others have on writing to deadlines.

I know that loads of great songs came out of FAWM earlier this year so there must be something about writing under pressure.

OK - I'll be honest, I did come back to this and add some BV's so were talking 1 hour 15 mins

Is this worth further development ?

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/elizabeth-knows

Cheers

John

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
Respect to you Pompey.  This is impressive work to complete in little over an hour.  This is a very cool song.

I wrote a full album of music,each composition taking 3 hours. I used used drum loops to make the project happen - programming drums would have made the task too difficult.  I then sent  to the results on to nooms. Not sure how long he took to write lyrics and melody but I think we had a great project going.  There are 11 track in total. Often very short but we are both happy with the results.

https://soundcloud.com/noomsvasey

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
They could have slipped this onto the white album and nobody would have batted an eyelid

Very impressive and a big challenge to complete a song like that.

Definitely worth expanding on, some lovely chord changes and I loved the story and sentiment behind it.

Brilliant!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »
Like it - the good thing about these things is that the writing ideas take precedence over the production. There's already an atmosphere here due to the lyrical theme and harmonic choices...

It's like sharing the first draft with your bandmates... (a privilege for us!) and we have to imagine the development etc. and what it could become...

Perhaps our next competition should be a "kamikaze" theme for raw songs a bit like this or FAWM. 1 hour is pushing it a bit though - maybe give ourselves a weekend?

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »
all of that in 1 hour?
That's awesome, I would never guess. The quality of the composition and the amount of elements is suitable for much more complex projects.

Is there a method to it?
Have a great day!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »
Like it - the good thing about these things is that the writing ideas take precedence over the production. There's already an atmosphere here due to the lyrical theme and harmonic choices...

It's like sharing the first draft with your bandmates... (a privilege for us!) and we have to imagine the development etc. and what it could become...

Perhaps our next competition should be a "kamikaze" theme for raw songs a bit like this or FAWM. 1 hour is pushing it a bit though - maybe give ourselves a weekend?

I agree with this whole-heartedly Adam.

Pompey, this is a great number with emphasis on the song and not production!

Paul
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:06:26 AM by Wicked Deeds »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »
Time and motion study now,is it pomps?

Bin will be all over you like a bad suit.  :D I can see him now,sitting with a calculator to see how many songs per day he can nail yore speedy writing ass for.  :D

It's a really nice song John,well worth developing further if you wanted to. As PaulAds said,it's pure Beatles. I'd happily steal that one for the 'Cover' thread.  8)

EmmanuelT

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:16:28 PM »
Cool stuff! :)
Very Beatles-esque while your own voice still shines through. I'm also interested in what the purpose of the 1 hour to write/record was?? Was it a challenge to see what would what music would come when you're just shooting from the hip???
Under the circumstances it was really impressive! Well done.

/Emmanuel

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
Was it a challenge to see what would what music would come when you're just shooting from the hip???

Yes - I suppose it was really - Who knows what's going to happen sort of thing

With regard to the question on my method, I suppose a lot of it is down to familiarity with my setups. I save a lot of presets etc and I know which VST's I'm going to use

Thanks all - I will be developing this further

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »
A good song. The time aspect shows you know what you're doing. I didn't like the drums that much. Keep working in it. Martin.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »
I've done a bit more than an hour on this song now and worked on a mix, BUT then came along the Black Friday sale for Abbey Road plates reverb and of course I've been like a kid at Xmas messing around with it.

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/elizabeth-knows

I wanted a pretty "reverby" feel to this song but do you guys think that it's a bit overdone ?

Having said that, I was listening to some Jeff Beck in the car today and the vocals are absolutely drenched in reverb so I guess it's a bit of a personal choice  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »
Dear PompeyJazz

A great song, very Beatleqsue I agree with Martin, there was something about the drums that didn't sit well, and it could be 5 bpm faster. Maybe shorter too.

Loved the pre chorus building the 'whole tone' tension leading to the chorus.

You might think of putting backing vox in the pre chorus and chorus, and maybe a hair of double tracking on the lead vox.

Hope you don't mind my comments...

it's a great song.

CPM

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 12:51:15 PM »
Dear Pompey Jazz

I should apologise, I re read that you wrote and recorded this in an hour, so for that it's stunning.

CPM

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
An hour Pompz!!! AN HOUR!!? As I tick over to my like 16th hour on a project and still haven't got close to this. Lovely song and great skill to do all this in such a short time. FAWM this year for you?