konalavadome

Emotionally and energetically drained after posting

• 22 Replies

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« on: November 12, 2017, 06:03:10 AM »
Every time I upload a video to Youtube or song to soundcloud I get a small depression :(

Not sure why, but I feel tired both physically and emotionally even if the content was created week before the actual posting. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Do you get like this too? How do you avoid this?
Have a great day!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 06:53:29 AM »
Post-natal depression.

Yeah I get this. It's finally letting go of the song/mix after weeks or months and saying it's finished.

Probably also the realisation that hardly anybody is going to listen to it or care very much and I'm pissing into the wind. And that perhaps it isn't really very good anyway.

This is followed by thinking 'Why do I bother?'

Then, after wondering whether I really want another baby, I'm at it again. Unavoidable.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:02:28 AM by Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra »
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »
I think the Viscount has hit the nail squarely on the head!! :) :)
I think the trick is to just enjoy making music, forget about whether anyone will listen and forget about success because it aint gonna happen :) :)

just enjoy the creative process for what it is my friend...and do not be precious about your music. :)
it's only a song, Beethoven and Mozart did it better than we ever will 100's of years ago.. :) :)

best and keep on keeping on !! :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:19:46 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »

Yep...I know exactly what you mean ;D

You'll never escape it. Even if you are writing/creating just for
 your own enjoyment/fun. The fact that you are 'hardwired' and
 locked into your creation emotionally is the reason that you're
 having fun, but it is also the reason that there will always be an
 anti-climax when it's over.  It also makes it an exhausting process.
 Even though you're sitting down ;D

It's part of the process my friend, something all artists have to put
 up with.  Bit like grieving ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
100% I get it. So, it's finished, so what was the point of that? No one is really interested and it is not going to heard by more than a few dozen people at most. Maybe it's not great anyway. Real downer...

...until you just enjoy it for what it is, enjoy the journey of writing and recording, and most importantly in my case, have zero ambition beyond trying to make the next one your best song ever.

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »
thanks for your support!

I'm not sure I feel like this because the song is going nowhere. I gave up ambition a while ago and it did only good for me.

I like the idea of anti-climax. Sounds like balance  - get excited, get depressed. Zero-sum roller coaster.

Not sure how to avoid it though. Maybe I event should try if this only natural.
Have a great day!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:28:25 AM »
Yep, sounds familiar. I think the only real answer is to turn your attention to the next one. Perhaps if you perform the songs too then they might feel more alive and requiring attention but when creating for creation's sake then you need to keep creating...
Good luck with the ups and downs!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
I post my songs on soundcloud and on this forum. If I didn't share my songs anywhere, I would still enjoy the creative process.  I always feel pride in what I have created and never sadness or disappointment that they are not embraced by a wider audience.  I expect my work to have an impact on only a few people. At the moment, believe that my songs are not the treasured by hardly anyone.   My only wish is that they will one day, be  treasured by my children when I am gone so that they may feel closer  to me and understand that I have always loved them dearly.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:38:04 PM by Wicked Deeds »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
I used to get that anti-climax feeling, until I found this forum.  Now I know that at least 5-10 fine & thoughtful people will listen to a track that's posted, and that's enough.  Previously pretty much only the band members themselves heard them.
I think it's a funny thing that with other hobbies like painting, people think it is more normal just to paint for the joy of it.  No one would be that surprised if you told them you had an attic full of amateur landscapes.  But with music, there often seems to be an expectation that you need to be doing it to 'make it big' / make money / get loads of fans, etc, and not achieving that can turn some people off this brilliant hobby.  Luckily it feels like this forum includes a lot of people who have got over that mindset and are happy just to be making some really impressive, hidden pieces of art, for the joy of it.
It's all too beautiful.

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »
Dude youre bringing a song into this world and abandoning it, thats why your depressed.

You gotta love that song, man. You gotta give it a little plastic case with artwork and liner notes and brothers and sisters.
You gotta take it to other forums and sites and let it play with other songs.
You gotta introduce it to the meter reader and the builder and the window cleaner.
You gotta give it a public performance when ya wash the car.
You gotta spice your converation with excerpts of lyric, and snippets of hummed melody.
Y'knowotamsaying man?
Songwriting is a fantasy like all art, and it's like an iceberg. You can do so much more with it than abandoning it on youtube, you can extend the buzz much further by playing with the song .
Then when you get tired of it, hey its grown up and you can be happy for it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:16:56 PM by Silver Machine »

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »
My only wish is that they will one day, be  treasured by my children when I am gone so that they may feel closer  to me and understand that I have always loved them dearly.

Paul

Ah, the legacy. My dad was a professional writer most of his life, and I persuaded him to write his autobiography when he was about 80. He did so, and although it would not be of interest to a wide audience, he wrote 3 or 400 pages, and had a dozen or so copies made for family members. He went on to live till he was 94, and boy am I glad he did it. I'm no writer like dad, but like you Paul, I harbour hopes my kids will pick up on my stuff one day.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »
We used to own an old Tom cat.
He liked to kill chipmunks.
He would kill one just about every day.
Then he would leave it at my door step so I would almost trip over it when getting home from work.
I don't know why he did that, or if he was depressed after doing so, but I was impressed to this day by his prowess  ;D ;D

Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 08:07:56 PM »
Sounds like the start of a lyric Paul,so here ya go.  :D

We used to own an old Tom cat
He liked to kill chipmunks
He's kill one almost every day
By ripping off it's junk
Then he'd leave it on my doorstep
So when I came home from work
I'd trip over the stiffened corpse
And the cat laughed where he lurked.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 08:10:19 PM »
Sounds like the start of a lyric Paul,so here ya go.  :D

We used to own an old Tom cat
He liked to kill chipmunks
He's kill one almost every day
By ripping off it's junk
Then he'd leave it on my doorstep
So when I came home from work
I'd trip over the stiffened corpse
And the cat laughed where he lurked.

;D ;D

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
My most recent upload to this forum - lasted 2 days on the first page and got 14 views :( :( :( :(
I cant even be bothered to bump it.

Cant say i'm drained about it - It does make me wonder why i bother though ;)

Good thing is i love my own music, i generally do stuff i would listen to myself and i enjoy the annual meeting of my fan club held in the local phone box ;D ;D