Your Desert Island Discs (with a twist)

• 14 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »
Hey everyone. I thought it would be fun to capture everyones desert island discs. You know the drill right? (Backstorys optional)
Except this one i thought it would be fun to include in your 10 songs,  1 song from the previous poster - so there is continuity through the thread and we get to listen to a few new songs along the way.
So whoever follows me, has to pick 9 of their own songs and one of mine, and so on....
Got it?

So heres mine

1. Now Im Here, Queen. - Queens greatest hits was the soundtrack of my childhood. For literally years, whenever we went on family holidays in the car, we would have this on full blast
2. The Final Countdown, Europe - First single i ever bought.
3. Loose, The Stooges - Funhouse is my favourite album of all time, and this is my fave song from it. Midway through the song, everything goes up a notch with the bass and its just pure rock and roll raw power.
4. Space Oddity, David Bowie - Probably my fave Bowie song and the video was so ahead of its time.
5. Janie Jones, The Clash - The Clash were the best band ever in my book. So cool, such intelligent songs and this was my first experience of them. Never looked back.
6. Cruisers Creek, The Fall. My favourite Fall song and just never get bored of listening to it.
7. Young Gifted and Black, Nina Simone. I love Nina Simone. Her voice is amazing and the harmonies in this song are just so beautiful.
8. Headlights on the Parade, Blue Nile. This song is such a grower. Just so gentle and graceful.
9. One Day (Vandaag) Radio Edit, Bakermat. I discovered Sax House recently through a colleague at work and this song is the best example. When the sax kicks in, this already amazing house track goes to an entirely new level.
10. Time, Edwin Starr - My fave Northern Soul song. Really rolls along.

OK whos next?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »
Ooohh...great idea!

1 Janie Jones...The Clash being my favourite band too...I'd maybe have gone for "Spanish Bombs"
2 Careless Whisper...George Michael...tis a thing of beauty, despite always making me feel wistful
3 Separate Lives...Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin...everyone has a heartbreak song, don't they?
4 Beat Surrender...The Jam...an incendiary way to bow out
5 Strange Fruit...Billie Holiday...it shivers me timbers every time
6 The First Picture of You...The Lotus Eaters...summer 1983...I thought life was going to be such fun
7 If You Were The Only Girl In The World...Stanley Holloway's version is the best. Great chords...might even have influenced “honeymoon at home”  ;)
8 Back to The Old House...The Smiths...it's so good, even Morrissey couldn't ruin it
9 So Far Away...Carole King...I heard it beautifully falling apart in the fade-out...along with my life
10 Trees and Flowers...Strawberry Switchblade..."My Window, My World, My Home Sweet Prison"

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:40:18 AM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 09:33:20 AM »
Ha, great thread and gotta get in now so I can adopt Trees and Flowers...

1. Trees and Flowers - "no-one else seems frightened, only me"
2. Life on Mars - Bowie - never get tired of that soaring chorus
3. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson - about 5 different basslines going on. Try sitting still.
4. Bigmouth Strikes Again - The Smiths - there's a unique energy and daringness to it...
5. Day Tripper - The Beatles - could have been almost any of their songs but here pop met rock and started to give birth to psychodelia
6. 4 Seasons in one Day - Crowded House - Neil Finn in his pomp.
7. The Weakness in Me - Joan Armatrading - Agony. Every time.
8. Cochise - Audioslave - I couldn't go to the island and never hear his voice again. Chris Cornell. With added genius from Tom Morello.
9. Taj Mahal - Jorge Ben Jor - joyous.
10. How Much a Dollar Cost - Kendrick Lamar - one of the best lyricists around takes on the world.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 02:24:49 PM »
Let's see...

• God Only Knows - Beach Boys (I cannot imagine life without this one. too beautiful)
• The Man Don't Give a Fuck - Super Furry Animals (gotta have my spazz-out song)
• Taj Mahal - Jorge Ben Jor (I would probably actually go with "Take It Easy My Brother Charles," but this one is not a bad choice, either)
•Augusta, Angelica, & Consolacao - Tom Zé ( because there is no rule that we can have only one Tropicalia tune)
• Pablo & Andrea - Yo La Tengo (a gorgeous song with a transcendental guitar solo)
• These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding (as soulful as it gets)
• Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield (that HORN CHART!!!)
• She - Gram Parsons (need some gram)
• I'm Only Sleeping - The Beatles (can ANY of us really go without any Beatles ever again? really?)
• Black Sheep Boy - Tim Hardin (this one just gets me right in the heart)
• Bridge Over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel (one of the greatest vocals ever put to tape)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »
OK, so here goes. I'm generally picking voices that I'd want with me on the island rather than individual songs (with a few exceptions)I've also restricted myself to one song by each artist or I'd end up with 10 Joni Mitchell songs!:

1."Black Sheep Boy" by Tim Hardin from PopTodd's list but there are half a dozen of his that I love.
2."Kentucky Rain" by Elvis Presley. Greatest popular singer ever. Period. Impossible to choose one but if I had to, it would be this magical song.
3."Off Night Backstreet" by Joni Mitchell. Most talented musician of the 20th Century and this is such an incredibly sexy song. You MUST give it a listen.It's on her "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" LP.
4."Hurricane" by Neil Young. Another towering genius and this is his masterpiece.
5."Call Me The Breeze" by JJ Cale. My favourite guitar player and this is one of his very best songs.
6."Where Do You Go To My Lovely" by Peter Sarstedt. He didn't really do much else but this is enough for anyone's lifetime.
7."Your Protector" by Fleet Foxes. There debut album is the best album of the 21st Century so far and this is a sublime track. Harmonies and songwriting of the highest order.
8."Glorious" by The Pierces. I absolutely love these 2 sisters' harmonies and this is a killer song
9."No Regrets" by The Walker Brothers. The original by Tom Rush is great but this cover just kills me every time.
10."Summer The First Time" by Bobby Goldsboro. Brilliant story telling, beautifully crafted lyrics and that little piano figure that runs through it - it just transports you back to when you where 15 and all beautiful older women were mysterious Goddesses.

M

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »
Takes some thought this one,

Here are ten out of my all time top 50. I've bound to have forgotten some though

1. Yes It Is - The Beatles - B side of Ticket to Ride, amazing harmonies and Lennon's vocals in the M8 still get me every time
2. I Miss You - The Heptones - Sweet, Sweet, Sweet
3. Song Of A Baker - The Small Faces - They Smash it, watch the video
4. Something About England - The Clash - Could be anything of London Calling or Sandanista but I'll go with this one
5. Harvest Moon - Neil Young - A wondeful love song
6. Can't Stand My Baby - The Rezillos - So much energy
7. Klu Klux Klan - Steel Pulse - Wonderful social comment from one of Birmingham's finest bands
8. Sorry - The Colourfield - Terry Hall at his mournful, depressing Cov best
9. Big Blow - Manu Dibango - You've just got to move
10. March of The Black Queen - Queen - Queen at their OTT extravagant best 

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:32:15 PM »
Ok lets have a shot at this. Trouble is I'm an album person, Id have to take the whole fonkin album or nuthin'.

The Revillos -  Rev Up
Yeah Pompeyjazz had the Revillos. Don't know if they ever left Scotland  but awesome band,
I gotta  have something offa this,maybe Motorbike Beat

Frank Zappa – Freakout
My favourite Zappa album, its like he made it thinking he'd never get allowed to make another, so its crammed with the most awesome shit. Anything offa Side 1, like I Aint Got a Heart.

Big Star – Anything off the first 2 albums No 1 Record or Radio City. Timeless stuff
Maybe The Ballad of El Goodo

Caoptain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Sorry guys I gotta take the whole album, you cannot take songs out of its context, its a complete listening experience. My second best album of all time

Iggy Pop – Raw Power
Iggy is a f**kin god of rock and this is my favourite album of all time. I'm gonna pick Search and Destroy, my favourite track of all time. Easy.

Can – Possibly the most amazing band ever. Shit, I dont know, something from Ege Bamyasi /Tago Mago/ Soundtracks/ Monster Movie.
Youre a psychedelic experimental underground Krautrock group and you choose a schizophrenic american soul man as your singer. Man, things are gonna be strange! but then he has a breakdown so you choose a Japanese guy who cant speek English to replace him and make him sing in English!
F**k it's gonna get weirder, and it's insane music and youve never heard anything like it.
I'm gonna choose Full Moon on the Highway from Landed.

The Ramones – Anything off the first 4 albums
Man, those first 4 albums are peerless, every song is a bona fide classic.
I'm gonna choose I Wanna be Sedated from Road to Ruin. Love these guys so much.

Tom Waits -  Something off Raindogs or Swordfishtrombones or Bone Machine.
I've got all his albums, musically he is a certifiable lunatic y'know. How many people have a career where they can change genre three times and still have major success. I prefer his bashing pots and pans period, personally. I'll choose something off Raindogs, maybe Walking Spanish.

The Doors – Something off the first album or Strange Days.
Damn I can't find a superlative that describes their greatness. Morrison's voice and Kreigers guitar playing is sublime. Break on Through/ Soul Kitchen/ The Crystal Ship.. impossible to choose one.

The B52s – Something off the first album or Wild Planet. Ricky Wison is a guitar god to me.
Maybe Hero Worship or Give Me Back My Man. Yeah I love Kate Pierson.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:36:56 PM by Silver Machine »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 10:50:19 PM »
Rezillos rarely play south of the border but are playing at Ilfracombe punk fest this weekend along with Ruts DC. That would be a mega gig for me. Shame I can't get there

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 11:59:51 PM »
Rezillos rarely play south of the border but are playing at Ilfracombe punk fest this weekend along with Ruts DC. That would be a mega gig for me. Shame I can't get there

Hey they are still gigging! Tragic, man, you cant make it.
Yeah I did get confused at one time between the Rezillos and the Revillos. But I understand it was a case of they didnt own the name Rezillos, so to leave their label they changed a letter.

Daniel_Young

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 08:23:39 AM »
I'm gonna try to go with my least obvious list and still end up with them all mainstream choices,

The Doors - Peace Frog, The doors were ahead of their time.
Harry Nilsson – Life Line , I'd put nilsson among the top songwriters/vocalists back than.
Robert Miles - Children, One of the few electronic\trance tunes that i really adore.
James Gang - Funk #48/ Funk #49, Joe walsh is much better off the eagles.
jimmy cliff - i can see clearly now, fits right to your desert island mood.
Stevie wonder - Higher ground, you won't get funkier than that.
Stone Roses - Fools gold, My all time  Wah Wah tune.
Bob Dylan- it's alright ma , For those who miss Ma or Dylan's geniosity.
Jimi Hendrix - Johnny B goode, pure rock&roll and a great cover by jimi.
Paul McCartney - Wild life, You can't do a list without The Beatles.
Blur - Universal, I'm not a big blur fan but this one is a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:48:05 AM by Daniel_Young »

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 07:50:00 AM »
I meant to do this but forgot until now. It's very difficult to whittle it down to so few so I'll just have to cover a few moods though I'm mostly pretty mellow these days!

Sticking to the original idea but picking it up from where it got derailed which I think is fair and allows me to have 'Call Me The Breeze' which Monty chose and to second his claim for JJ's guitar playing/style/sound...so...

I. Call Me The Breeze - JJ Cale. I'm a big fan!
2. The Girl From Ipanema with Joao Gilberto singing first in Portuguese before Astrud takes over. Sublime. Stan Getz's sax!
3. No Detour ahead - Billie Holiday. Got to have something by her.
4. Return of the Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons. Love the mix of his and Emmylou's vocals.
5. Jah Jah Love - Mikey Dread. Gotta have some of this in my hammock.
6. Power Show - Fela Kuti. My blowout song
7. Sweet Sensation - The Melodians sure to make me feel good!
8. Use Me - Bill Withers   As soulful and funky as I could want!
9. Tired Of Being Alone - Al Green. For me the best soul singer and great band too.
10.The Sky Is Crying - Elmore James. I'm a big fan of the blues and it's hard to only pick one out of so many.

Christ! That's missing out so much that I would want to take but it'll have to do. Now just to hope this desert island is in the South Pacific somewhere and not off Finland.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »
Nice collection Viscount.

All. I'm going to make a Spotify playlist of all these tunes and will share in due course. Hopefully we can all be inspired by each other's inspirations.