The point of having an EP and Alboms in general

• 19 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 07:04:15 PM »
Great thread. I'm with Tone on this. I like to put a record on, sit down and listen all the way through. Writing 10 -12 songs with the intention of making them into an album makes you think about varying arrangements, the musical palette, short songs, longer songs, slow songs, fast songs and so on. It's easy to just produce variations on a theme but to challenge myself to keep a listener hooked for 45 minutes is important to me.

M

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 07:29:32 PM »
Thanks, everybody!

I'm almost convinced in the necessity of albums now.
I like the idea of someone sitting and listening, actually listening, to a full album.
The damned streaming kills the mood for sure :(.
Have a great day!

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »
Hey hey,

Looks like you've been convinced, but cool thread and imma jump in anyway 'cos lurking.

Think I'm with John mostly on this one (oi I'm still waiting for that million pound cheque ;)); snapshot of time.

And that time for me can be in the format of a story, like a TV series (some of the most notorious rap albums tell a linear story) or simply capture the emotions of the time (whether that's the songwriter, or the feel of a nation).

For me I just had a feeling one day that I'd moved on in my songwriting and it just felt right to collect what I'd done so far, order them into something which felt like has the best chance at greater than it's parts, then save 'em together so I could look back at 'that stage'.

Cheers for the opportunity to babble,
Scott.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »
I live in a house full of vinyl enthusiasts. My boyfriend and I have lots of records, and we listen to them every day. My housemates own a used record store. There's just something really special about a physical LP. From finding the one you want to hear on the shelf, to the artwork, to the noise of the needle in the groove, it's all part of the experience.

Vinyl records last forever if taken care of. My boyfriend still has all his records from his childhood. His first copy of Yellow Submarine still sounds great, and the poster is still in there. Pulling out a record is full of memories. Albums are art.

Lynn

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz