MOTHS - Darkside of the tune entry.

• 23 Replies

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »
Ok , so its a weird slasher horror experimental trance shanty about moths. LOL.

PLOT: A cursed Icarus and his crew of ghostly moths try to crawl under my skin and possess me - haunting my bathroom, fluttering against the lights, windows and mirrors and trying to escape from the cupboards and art works of my house, tempting me to join with them and go outside into the night.  Eeek. 

INSPIRATION:
- The HUGE fluffy, illuminous green caterpillar that my son found last week (http://www.uksafari.com/paletussock.htm - ).
- Old horror movies
- Being annoyed with mankind, even moreso lately, I get the feeling of being trapped/powerless/cocooned in both internal and external struggles between light and dark.
- The age old idea of a monster only being allowed into your house if they’ve been properly invited. (“Let me in”)

WRITTEN APOLOGY, IN ADVANCE…
- Yes, im over 5 mins. I WAS hitting target, then I got my hands on a midi keyboard at the weekend. I liked the piano bit so much (see 3mins 30 +) that the extra minute kinda crept in. Sorry folks :)
- Mixed with headphones so apols also for iffy levels. Who needs mastery anyway... hahaaaaAA. And for the last minute vocals recorded this afternoon whilst my kids watched Pepper Pig. (Great parenting!!)

SC LINK:
https://soundcloud.com/cazrolina-1/moths-dark-side-of-the-tune-competition-entry-demo-pre-master

LYRICS
Soundly sleep on silken threads
all wrapped up, good and tight
We’ll awake you from your slumber
Cast you out into the night

Feast your eyes upon the glowing light
and feed the fires within
Don’t leave me out in the dark, dark nighT
you’re going to let me in

Break open all your windows
DonT leave your cupboards bare
For we’re ouT  here seeking shelter
and hiding places there

But i do so love the morning sun
oh why wonT it take me in?
cause Im cursed out here in the deep dark night
to repenT for all my sins

Wont you flutter on by, my flutter bye
cocooned beneath my skin
for we’re pinned down here in this looking glass
and a thousand years wear thin

Oh, the light compels the soul to fly
and dance towards the flame
letT pure white fire ignite your wings
and shatter through the pane

But you burned so bright it hurt my eyes
your metamorphosis
But nothing hurts more than the shame of the fall
my darling Icarus
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
Dang, that's good.
It's part ancient dark folk song, part trip-hop, part witches' spell.
Yeah it could have been condensed slightly but I do like the way it goes through several sections.
The vocals are amazing. I'm not sure if I've heard you sing before - blew me away. Sounds like you'd have a great voice for soully / funky stuff too.
Moths are freaky things aren't they? Watch 'The Mothman Prophecies' if you haven't seen it and want a good case of the heeby-jeebies.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:35:43 PM by PaulyX »
It's all too beautiful.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
Wonderful!!! a great landscape of sounds and singing...quite a journey...and spooky!

great track! :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »
Hello Caz,

Your writing and production here are very accomplished.

The piano part  that you referred to in your description is excellent.  There is so much going on here to admire.  Fine vocals, and intriguing instrumental sections that embody an eerie feeling that the brief for this competition demands.  A cool ,cinematic composition that should d very well in the competition.

Paul

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
Really pretty pagan ritual sounds. Haunting at times. Very impressive.

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »
I liked this phrase:
Wont you flutter on by, my flutter bye
cocooned beneath my skin

Have a great day!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
Really love what you've created here Caz. It's a wonderful soundscape of what sounds like pagan rituals,
but something more modern as well. Lovely vocals and piano. I agree...a very cinematic composition :)
good luck in the comp :)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
I like the creativity here and the kind of minimalist approach (not in the musical sense) to the instruments.

This is what I imagine an Enya track would sound like if she was lured over to the dark side or had a bad trip.

Very enjoyable.

Yodasdad

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »
I don't like moths. Glad to hear you burnt them  :P

But apart from that: Wow, this is great! Haunting lyrics, great images, and lots of different soundscapes that pop in and out of the music. You never know what is lurking around the next corner when you are listening to the song.

SC says 4:55, so all is good. ;-)

Very strong contender, I'd say.

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »
This is great!

I really like your voice. And it's a wonderfully enigmatic soundscape.

I think this will do really well. And I think it deserves to  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »
Yo Caz.

Tre spooky from the word go.  :o

This is a very ambitious piece and quite the best we've heard from you to date.

I think you have created a new genre,I'd call it Celtic Voodoo. I love the way the EDM style mixes with the dark,plaintive folk overtones.

Brilliant. I could see this one win hands down.  :)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
Wow. One of my favourite movies of all time is The Wicker Man (1973 version). And this song reminds me of it. It's beautifully haunting and eerie. just like the movie. great work with the vocals and sound effects too.

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »
Thanks so much, guys.

PaulyX – Haha. That must make me the witch. Hehe. Yes, the Mothman Prophecies was indeed one of the movies that had in mind, that and The Fly . The good old stuff. Cheers heaps ☺

Shadowfax –☺ Well, it was a bl**dy journey making it. And spooky stuff happened too - a house spider running across my foot, a ladybird on my coffee at midnight and my cat pouncing on my head, all in the same week. I had a journey too, lol.

WickedDeeds – Thanks matey. I do love a bit of piano. ☺

Reerhodie – You’re very kind too. Thx heaps.
2Tuoo – You too ☺

Crystalsuzy – Thanks heaps.  Straight back atcha. ☺

Yodasdad – Cheers Yoda. Evil Enya would be great! I’ll send some moths round…

Wolfini – hehe. Me neither - A moth got stuck inside the back of my tshirt once and I have never, ever forgiven the evil barstewards. Thanks very much.

PaulAds – Thanks mate. That’ll be the first time I’ve ever been enigmatic. Lol. Most kind.

Skub –  I’m really trying to learn/improve. I feel this one is a bit more like a composition than my usual edm stuff – what with using the midi piano and really “slipping down the rabbit hole” on production this time. I’m hooked. And I just kept thinking of more stuff to add.  I know its rough around the edges still, but Im really chuffed you said this one was an improvement on earlier tracks.  Made my day. ☺ Thanks heaps Skub.

Mickyplankton – Cheers Micky.  It was fun recording a moth murder attempt thwack noise with a newspaper. It sounded like slapstick comedy at first, so I chucked a weird drum over the top to beef it up a bit and stop my husband laughing. 
And Yes – agreed - the original Wicker Man is way Way WAAAAAY better than the pony Nicolas Cage version ☺  They just don’t make ‘em like they used to, hey.

Cheers all. cx
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »
Hey I'm digging the pagan, EDM, ambient, folk ambition of this, lady.
Your voice is the star in the solstice. A very accomplished, innovative piece.
Y'know I felt your jokey foreword undermined the epic on show here a little.  Maybe some cod mystical fiction would've set it up better? You don't need to apologise for anything here.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 11:06:58 PM »
This is Exceptional imo Caz. Cleverly put together and you nevery know what to expect next. The vocals are superb but I would really love to hear you at full throttle as I think you could absolutely smash it. Great song,  inventive,  creative and dark .