I'm in a limbo with my music

• 13 Replies

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« on: October 31, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
Hi songwriters,

In the recent few months, I have a weird behavioral shift in my music activities.

I play in a band and have tons of creative ideas, I pick up my guitars daily and sing almost daily and write songs and what not.

But when it comes to recording, I find myself unable to hit the REC button, not on my camera and not in my DAW. There was only one exception in months. I had a fantastic time recording the "nobody reads" but once that was over I'm still in the weird limbo where I write down the ideas, hear the music in my head and daily playing but cannot make the last step :(

I would call it the "writer's block" but it isn't since I do write and actively practice. I just find a multitude of excuses not to plug in and record. No idea what is going on.

Have you ever experienced this yourself? How did you overcome that?

I start feeling the weight of this behavior with a constant feeling of regret and disappointment in myself.

Have a great day!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 10:19:13 AM »
I have played in a number of bands and have found that my creativity disappears in a live setting.  However, when I lock myself away in my room, ideas flow effortlessly.

I'd say the major obstacle to writing and recording is juggling all of life's day to day struggles and of course working some every unsociable hours.   I find that attempting to be too pristine with my playing can cause a few problems.  In fact, I would love to get back to recording in a more rough manner.  I think that in in my case, recording in Logic, encourages me to  aim for perfection. Daws are so clinical! I analys different ways of playing chords and keeping my performance meticulously in time.  I find that I will strum a progression then realise that's production forces me to perhaps only play parts of the chord or even omit chords to let the production breathe.  Do you relate to any of this and does it contribute to your own experience.  I write at speed  and increasingly abandon a production when I know  I could do so much more to enhance it's appeal.  It sometimes seems that there is a mountain to climb to achieve the vision tha I have for my creations. Maybe like me, you simply enjoy the writing process and th early stages of stages of production.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:24:08 AM by Wicked Deeds »

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:57:22 AM »
Hi,

I do find find that both inspiration and the motivation to pursue a piece of music come in waves. Usually I just go with the flow and try not to force it too much.

My suggestion for you would be to just hit record every time you sit down with your guitar and just record the whole session, warts and all. Noodling, writing or whatever it may be.

The benefits are that you're not going to lose or forget any moments of genius and you can listen back objectively any time you like and develop anything that you think worthy.

I often go back to snippets of ideas I recorded ages ago when I want some inspiration.

Hope this helps.

Yodasdad

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »
When I was gigging regularly music = work,so on days off I didn't want to work. I've found I'm much more inclined to work on a song now than in times previously.

It's different for everyone,but in general we like a change of scenery now and again.

If your creativity isn't broken 2tuoo,then I'd suggest you need to stop with the lazy,get the finger out and knuckle down.  ;)

Dr.Skub's top tip for the day.  :)

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »
Like you I play and write daily! I'm always strumming something out on my guitar and I can be quite creative doing so

For me the problem I have faced with recording is how overwhelmingly daunting I find it. There just seems so much to learn and so many choices to make and it just feels hard sometimes to keep at it when result are slow to come. I've persevered and more recent tracks sound better and I'm slowly learning. It can seem like a chore at times though.

Not sure what to suggest to you. Maybe you put too much pressure on yourself when it comes to recording? Or maybe like skub says you need to just get stuck into it and get it done! Good luck with it though pal, you've great ideas that I look forward to hearing :)

Take care

Darren
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:43:00 PM by Darren1664 »

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 01:13:42 PM »
Dude, just playing music is fun, there are no pressures, it's a real blast. But recording is serious, you gotta get it right, you gotta play your best, so you're tense, you make mistakes. It becomes painful, a chore, it's no fun. So you avoid it.
You got two choices. Have something to relax you man before you start,
 or just record everything every day, just doodle and noodle and experiment to get the fun back, till recording  becomes second nature and the neurosis is gone. 

2tuoo

• Open Mic
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 01:45:31 PM »
thanks, everybody,
it's a bit of relief, to now that I'm not alone in this.

I'll try to come up with some accountability system, maybe ask my wife to supervise my recording activities and their status :)
Have a great day!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »
The production part of songwriting is tedious and boring (for me anyways), gone are the days when a writer could strum their song to a producer and a team of talented individuals would take over to make your song work..
I've had to learn all sorts of stuff I'm really not that interested in just to be able to make what I hear in my head acceptable to a listener,
you have to be determined enough to get through the crap of learning production in the box if you wanna get your music out there to a high enough standard that peeps will give it a listen..

I get what silver machine is saying..just keep doing it untill it becomes easier..that's what worked for me..just keep at it.. :) :)

I have started using the two week posting rule as a sort of deadline..this gives me a reason to get off my arse and get going in the studio.. 8) plus I love music..which helps.. 8)

keep on keepin on mate.. :) :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 02:27:28 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 05:37:46 PM »
Hi

Couple of thoughts - my best takes are often the ones that don't get recorded and I sometimes get sweaty palms syndrome when the big red light goes on. I know this is crazy, and you need to have confidence in your ability to get it right. It doesn't cost anything to do extra takes, it's just time.

Secondly, like anything, recording and performing gets easier and comes more naturally the more you do it.

And thirdly, like others have said, this is FUN! Let's just relax and enjoy our music 👍

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
Recording / producing can be a bit tedious at the beginning. But what we've heard from you was already really good so it probably wouldn't take you 100 more goes to get to a great standard...

Recording your stuff will make it better! You'll hear it in a different way and realise what works or not. You can add trumpets, saxes, mellotrons, things you can't even play, but imagine in your mind. You'll get feedback from the likes of us! And feedback aside, here you have an audience waiting to consume and enjoy your stuff - now there's an incentive...?!

Maybe you get these things from your band already and you're clearly talented but I'd say recording is a big part of how all us of can get to the next stage...

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
Hi, I kind of know what you're going through...the lots of ideas/melodies/licks/lyrics stuff still on tap but combined with an inability to record...I really don't know all the reasons behind it from my own perspective but I think my own self criticism cuts in to such an extent that the first time I hear back a new idea I 'criticise' the hell out of it! So much so I've developed a love/hate relationship with my guitar!!

Whatever your personal reasons are for not recording I must say I can really identify the feelings of regret and disappointment you describe at not feeling able to do so. I guess my only advice would be to 'push through it' and record anyway Simple advice maybe but some of the best things in life occur when you 'feel the fear' and do it anyway...apparently!

Hope you get it sorted :-)

Regards Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

2tuoo

• Open Mic
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
thanks everybody!

I liked the 2 week deadline idea, speaks closest to my heart.
I'm most productive when there is a stick above my head, never like carrots anyway...
Have a great day!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »
Looks like you've already got some good advice from our fine members.
Funny, a member used to mean something different when I was in a band...  ;D

I would add that you have to lose the fear of being judged by yourself and others.

I am my biggest critic. Once I get my stuff by that assh0le, other feedback is a walk in the park  ;D ;D

2tuoo

• Open Mic
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »
Thanks everybody,

I put myself together and made this collab with Paulski happen in one day!

from here
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13979.0
Have a great day!