"SING" Written by Paul Vasey, Mixed by Neil C (DARK SIDE COMPETITION)

• 23 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: October 30, 2017, 11:20:51 PM »
The devil sits in the darkness of the room, wearing his sharpest suit. He's come to steal the memories of an old woman who cries for the words that she can no longer remember, to the songs that she once loved.  Dementia can be so cruel. Though it is not logical, I think about good and evil, searching for someone or something to blame for this terrible illness.  I conclude that this must be the work of Beelzebub. You know him, "that Bastard from below". A man enters the room where he sees the old lady, who is seemingly alone.  He sings a beautiful melody for her.  At first, the George Gershwin tune "Summertime"and then the Rogers and Hammerstein song  "Edelweiss".  The old woman defiantly joins in with the singing, much to the devil's dismay. Lucifer looks at his watch, knowing that he has many more appointments to keep.  He pours himself a scotch and bathes in the fire that surrounds him whilst the old woman continues to "sing".  Nothing would be  more delightful to Lucifer than to experience the silence that he is rarely denied.  "Sing!  Remember you were young, with music in your heart.  Hey honey, make a start" and so, it begins........

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds

Contains explicit language.

Sing

The devil wore his sharpest suit.
He waited by the door.
A woman cried for words she could not sing but sang before.

Beelzebub, you know the score, that bastard from below.  
He's come to steal her melodies, he will not let them go.

Sing, remember, you were young.
With music in your heart,
hey honey, make a start.

The beauty of her fragile voice
In music found a friend.
From Summertime  to Edelweiss, defiant to the end.

Beelzebub, you know the score, that bastard from below.  
He's come to steal the melodies. He will not  let them go.

Sing, remember you were young.
With music in your heart
Hey honey, make a start.

The devil recoiled as he looked at his watch
He bathed in the fire then he poured out his scotch.
The silence he craved, that was never denied,
was the source of his pain as the old woman cried.

Sing, remember you were young.
With music in your heart
Hey honey, make a start.

Written by Paul Vasey September 2017

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds

For my Mam Margaret and the old woman who found her voice.

A big thank you to my good friend Neil C for mixing and playing bass.  This is our collaboration for the Dark side competition.  

Wicked Deeds
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:24:37 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 11:49:19 PM »
I like this and the way that you've tackled a difficult subject in a creative way.

I particularly liked the strings instrumental at the end.

The only thing I would say is do you need the word 'bastard' in there?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not against swearing or blunt language in songs but I just wonder  whether it's right for this song. The rest of the lyrics are quite subtle and veiled and this just stands out to me. I'm thinking maybe something like serpent could be a good replacement.

Just my two penneth, it's your song so it's entirely up to you of course.

Yodasdad

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:53:41 PM »
I think your song has a little French touch and the melody is really nostalgic and delicate (something strange talking of Beelzebub) that's why the lyrics become so troubling, as it happens with the music of a horror film where the leading voice is played by a little girl... A very good contrast. Good luck!
Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
exceptional!!!... :) :) though the opening tune is very reminiscent of 'In the court of the crimson King'
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:48:57 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
Crikey, I think you two boys should be commissioned to write the next Bond theme. Some great tension building touches in here. Loved the mellotron and the string outro. Clever to couple the story with such a weighty topic - it's both uplifting and unsettling at the same time.  Bound to fare well in the comp.
It's all too beautiful.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 08:07:04 AM »
Definitely a dark subject and you've executed it very well Paul. It has that uneasy feeling, because we all know it could easily happen anyone of us. Beautifully written and sung. I love the intro and the strings at the end...very dramatic :o Lot's of tension and of course Neil has done a wonderful job on the mix/master. Good luck in the dark comp!  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:28:29 AM »
Yes, very unsettling and tense stuff - but tuneful and varied all through, quite a project.
Your voice is really good in this one - defiant and fragile in turn.
Great atmosphere you created.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
Yo Paul.

It's a neat twist on a horrible personality robbing disease,cleverly done.

The topic is obviously dark,but the music adds to that with a disconcerting feel to the sound. I hear what Kevin hears on the early King Crimson songs,such as Epitaph and The Court of the Crimson King. Uneasy and thought provoking music.

Good work from Neil on the mix.

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 11:15:33 PM »
Yes, very cleverly, creatively and delicately done indeed. Dark and brooding. Those strings are just fabulous. Loved the spattering of keys in the intro too. Lovely. Your vocals are amazing on this. Great job folks.
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »
Hi guys,

This is very sophisticated, delicate and thoughtful music - I was reminded of late period Steely Dan. Not sure the "Bastard" is needed as someone else has said. The string arrangements are stunning and the whole thing reeks of class.

A lovely thing indeed.

M

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »
Hi guys,

This is very sophisticated, delicate and thoughtful music - I was reminded of late period Steely Dan. Not sure the "Bastard" is needed as someone else has said. The string arrangements are stunning and the whole thing reeks of class.

A lovely thing indeed.

M

hi Monty,

thanks for your lovely review. When I wrote sing, the B word wasn’t used to shock. I write both lyrics and melody together and they really come quickly. There’s is obviously a thought process but sometimes I look back, especially at words and think how did they come to be? That word jumped into the song and I guess that’s my subconscious, reacting to what I know about dementia. It breaks my heart every time that I visit my Mam in the care home where she lives. I have a lump in my throat and I wipe the tears away from my eyes though my Mam never sees this, on every visit. My Mam, doesn't know me and can barely speak because of her condition. My Grandmother who also suffered Alzheimer’s would take me to task on the use of that word. She always said that”there are enough words in the dictionary and therefore you should never resort to using bad language”. Still, that word jumped into the song as my gut reaction to what I have seen and what I feel.

Great to get your thoughts on this my friend.  Yodasdad - serpent is a fine alternative suggestion.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:50:57 PM by Wicked Deeds »

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »
Hey Paul,

His is just beautiful.

I like how you've tackled this difficult subject in such a subtle yet powerful way lyrically and those delicate vocals really make it.

Add on top of that a spectacle arrangement and great melody and you've certainly got a smashing tune.

I really like he use of 'bastard' - how it allows us to peak through the delicacy at the raw resentment within. Really puts an extra and interesting dynamic into the tune and reading how it subconsciously appeared just adds to that.

Props all around.

Much love,
Scott

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »
Very creative songwriting with a strong focus on the poetic side.

You managed to get an effective production with lots of ideas and surprises.

I am not sure about the line "steal her melodies"... I thought the point was that he stole the words, but she still keeps the melodies? Or is he now trying to steal the melodies, too? The words were not enough.

After reading your introduction the lyrics seem very fitting and descriptive. But I can't help to wonder if I would have understood the story without the introduction. Probably the gist of it, which should be enough for a song and leaves the rest to the imagination.

Bye Wolfi

Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 08:23:01 PM »
Fab vocal and loads of lovely little touches ripple all the way through it. I had no problem with the word "bastard" especially as you seem to pronounce it in a very north-eastern way by almost missing the "r" out  :)

Extremely accomplished writing and production...great drama too. An excellent entry!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »
Fab vocal and loads of lovely little touches ripple all the way through it. I had no problem with the word "bastard" especially as you seem to pronounce it in a very north-eastern way by almost missing the "r" out  :)

Extremely accomplished writing and production...great drama too. An excellent entry!

Loved this response Paul. Pop music is so influenced by American music and that influence can often be evident in the vocals of many people.  Most of all, I'm delighted that a little of my north eastern twang filtered through, especially as I have recently moved from my home on the north east coast to the north west. That's comment means a lot to me! Quality! :-)

Paul
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:35:32 PM by Wicked Deeds »