First song you ever wrote....

• 26 Replies

jessie

• Busker
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:01:04 PM »
What was the first song you ever wrote? When did you write it and how much have you changed musically since writing your first song. I'm interested because the first song I ever wrote seems better than the ones I write now! Not just because I actually finished it, but also I just prefer the melody and structure of it to anything I've written since. How weird is that?  :P

Jessie

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
Haha nice thread Jessie!

I wrote my first 'song' when I was 8! On the organ my grandmother was teaching me to play.  I had a bit of a dry spell after that and didn't resume matters till I was about 15.  Can't actually remember the first song I wrote, but I think it might have been one called Run Away, and most people who heard it probably did :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

jessie

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »
 ;D lol! Can you remember the song? I Wonder what you'd think of it now.

Guy

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:54:02 PM »
Haha the first song I ever wrote is called Human Beings and it's one I still play and hope to make something of.  Maybe that will change as I improve (if I improve!).

jimbles

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
First song I wrote is called Pain of War... I've posted it in the lyrics review section!

Nathan1709

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 09:14:22 AM »
My first song that actually had lyrics was called 'songs that remind me of you' and it still stands out for me as one of the easiest lyrics I've ever written.  It had 4 verese and 2 distinct choruses if I remember rightly and it took me about 30 minutes to write the whole thing.  It's interesting now that I think about it that it was probably the only song I've ever written where I wrote from an imaginary point of view (that is to say a guy who's girlfriend had just left him).  Since then every one of my songs has been personal to me in some way or other whether the listener would know it or not.  

I've still got the lyrics somewhere.  I'll have to dig it out!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:20:04 AM by Nathan1709 »

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 12:51:50 PM »
The first song I wrote was called Cathrine after a girl I was in lust with at the time haha.
As far as I remember the melody ended up being very simillar to a Chris de Burgh song I heard a few years later. I wasn't a fan of De Burgh and didn't listen to his music but it had obviously tunnelled it's own way into my brain.
The song was a cute first atempt but very naive both lyrically and musically.
Still brings a smile to my face to think about it though  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »
The first song that I wrote was called 'Autumn's Over.'  I can still play it and remember the lyrics. The songs was completely invented, so no real depth to it lyrically.  I've changed tremendously since that time.  I frequently  write about my feelings but often look for a quirky angle that might benefit the song. On other occasions I might read something and think to myself that the theme is crying out to be made into a song. I now enjoy setting myself deadlines for completing songs and often set myself a particular theme to write to. After writing my early songs, I have written obsessively for approximately 27 years.  I enjoy this tremendously and often think that I have to prove to myself that I can do this again and again. So, as soon as I have finished the last one, I'm thinking about the next. At times I think that I would love to stop writing but am also afraid to stop just in case the skill deserts me altogether!  If you feel that your early songs were your best, then keep writing.  You will definitely improve, just don't become a slave to writing!

Paul

country boy

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:40:29 PM »
The 1st Song I wrote was a Skiffle number [mind a good song willl sound good whatever the genre] meant for Lonnie Donegan.  I made a tentative enquiry to his manager whom informed me Lonnie was on tour in New Zealand, and if I were to post it to him, he would ensure Lonnie received it.  Two weeks later, I read in the newspapers Lonnie had separated with his manager a month earlier.  I never did send it off.  I was 21yrs of age at the time.  If there is a way of e-mailing it to you for you interest, I will do so.  I will be an updated version of the original.  It called 'The Christmas Blues'.

What makes for a good Christmas? Is it presents, games, plenty of food and drink, friends, family, parents?  Often, the  seemingly insignificant things at the time which are rarely thought of e.g. security within the happiness of those about  you, including parents family and friends.  In the knowing you are as equally important to others as they are to you  emphasises the closeness of relationships.

I can remember Christmas’ long gone.  Presents were, an apple, an orange and a couple of nuts in a stocking, with a  home made toy.  For years after, the belief Santa  DID  exist, if only in the way we think of each.
other!           

Country Boy.

Not all Welshmen can sing, but all Welshmen think they can!!!

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 06:13:57 PM »
My first song was called "The day I lose my mind", written in 1996 when I was 16. Bloody awful it was! Although the verse chord structure (Em7, C, G, D6) was identical to The Scientist by Coldplay, I still reckon they ripped me off!

Eltoniobonio

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 09:30:01 PM »
First song i ever wrote was a little instrumental called 'Colours Of The Sky'. It's a very simple little tune and for some reason it just appeared in my head in about 1982, after about 4 years i finally felt compelled to record it. I had a 'tape to tape' cassette deck where you could up to a point do some very basic overdubbing. Using that system, (tape to tape) was good practice cos you could only do 3 or 4 tracks before the whole thing broke down totally in quality and the noise built up to such an extent you had to start over. To squeeze the last ounce of 'juice' out of the tape you have to get every little bit you can out of yours track so it teaches you discipline. I soon got myself a 4 track and it was like all my birthdays had come at once. The first song i recorded on that was 'Peggy Sue' by 'Buddy Holly'. I now have an 8 track and am taking some time to get to grips with it if i'm honest, the first song i recorded on that was an instrumental version of a song called 'Let Me Tell You'. It's an instrumental cos i cannot think up a decent lyric. I'm now recording a new version of a very old song of mine and hope to post it on the reviews section in the near future.

sarahtaylor

• Busker
  • Well, bascially I write a lot of songs
    • youtube.com
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:35:34 PM »
wow thinking about this is weird. I think i was about 8 or 9 and it was a song about flying away and being in the sky, i still think it was a good song, it was a happy one and didnt involve boys which most of mine do now lol, even though some of it does not make much sense :)
ASH

Dutchbeat

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »
nice post

that is a long time ago... ::)

I clearly remember my first song. and I am sure I have it on an old (ancient) casette tape

deep down in a drawer somewhere...
but I wouldn't even want or dare to listen to it myself :-\

but it is tempting :)

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »
Was thinking about this topic, so I'm resurrecting this old thread that was started before I even joined this forum.

Anyway, this is the first song that I ever wrote. I was 19 years old.
"Every Kane"

I don't sing on this one, though. I just play electric guitars. Recorded with Dave Trumfio from The Pulsars in Dave's basement home studio, in 1991. Before there was a Pulsars.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Giving away your age there Todd ;) I like the na-na-na's at the end of the song, nice touch.

I also have one I wrote when I was 19 (might have been 20) back in 1995-6. It's not my first song, but it's the earliest one for which I have a recording online (although I should probably mention that it got a bit of surgery back in 2010 when I recorded it, so it's not exactly as written. It has an extra chord)

https://anthonylane.bandcamp.com/track/dignity
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l