If It's Over 4 minutest's It is just Musical Masterbation

• 12 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: October 22, 2017, 11:07:31 PM »
Hi peeps,

I thought I'd throw this idea out there for debate.I don't have strong opinions either way but I am looking forward to the discussion.

Alan

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:16:12 AM »
Ha! You can't fool me! You just wanted an excuse to use that alliterative phrase, didn't you??? ;D

I don't think a song should be any longer than it takes to tell its story. It's only musical masturbation if it keeps saying/doing the same thing over and over without adding to the tale. That's my opinion.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:16:06 AM »
Ha. Great thread Montydog. I'm a big believer in keeping songs short where possible. It's not just over indulgence that I believe should be avoided, it's also being mindful of the listeners time and attention spans.

For better or worse, we live in an era where infinite content is instantly accessible (ie the Internet). There are more songs online than you could ever possibly listen to in a lifetime. so songs delivered over this medium need to get to the point. It's the same with podcasts. I get really annoyed when I hear a lengthy preamble on a podcast where I have to wait several minutes before the podcast proper starts.

Of course there are exceptions. Some songs by their nature extend way beyond 4 minutes. But I would always aim to avoid lengthy intros, lengthy musical interludes and bridges , unless the song really needs it.

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:07:44 AM »
If the song was going to be listened to by more than just a few amateur songwriting anoraks then it might be a problem...other than that its the song writers choice.

If someone was looking to enter the fantasy world of believing you might get some commercial success for their time wasting hobby and were trying to pitch commercially then yes it is a problem...the market will dictate the length of a song.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
Well...who doesn't enjoy masturbation ::) ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
Well...who doesn't enjoy masturbation ::) ;D ;D

😂😂

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »

What does it mean  ::)  Someone help me.....

It's not about the length guys......it's about what's in it ;D

I'm afraid you've opened a door I can't resist Monty ;D ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »
Philip in Glass houses plays by himself for 14 hours

He locks the door

falls to the floor

by the noisy incubator, so

Roll over Beethoven,

Mozart's just a musical masturbator

Apologies to Chuck and David

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »
It's quite possible to achieve that in under 4 minutes

But that would be no fun, no fun at all.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »
It depends upon WHY it's over 4 minutes. If the reason is because of an extended guitar solo, then yeah, I would agree (for the most part).
But some songs are just long songs because that's how long they need to be.
For instance, most of my songs are under 3:30, but I do have a couple that are over 4 and a couple more that are over 5!

Okay, I'll admit that one of those 5-plus minute songs might be a little self-indulgent. But there was a reason for that indulgence, at least in my mind. I wanted to break down the parts that I had built up in the beginning and deconstruct it before the fade. Yes, admittedly indulgent, but I also found that I was a bit entranced, myself.
So, I put it as the last song on the album, so it was easy enough to turn it off:
https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/track/hey

This one, however, at 5:10, just needed that time to tell the story. And, IMO (and in the opinions of many others who have told me), it does not FEEL like it's as long as it is. That, to me, is a sign that it is not OVERlong, but just the right length.
You tell me, if you want:
https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/track/we-made-it-to-the-middle-2

So, enough of my sharing masturbation. But I did so to illustrate a point. You are only partially right.
I hate (most) extended jams. Masturbatory, yes.
But an extended jam like the one in the middle of "Marquee Moon," I would argue, is essential to the flow of the song, as that long solo brings the tune to an emotional height that it would not have achieved otherwise.
WARNING -- 10-minute song!

If you do listen to all these songs, I am curious as to what you think about my points on them. If not, I totally understand. I'm not so sure that I would. That's a lot of time to devote to a single post on a message board.
 ;D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »
There should be a reason for everything. I tend to agree with Skub that if I go long then I will be looking for things to trim. But if there's nothing (no multiple repeats, no solos just because, no 4 different sections, no verses saying the same thing in a different way), then go for it - though don't be too samey all through either, it's an honour to have people listen. We're not all geniuses that can write that, but I can't imagine Bohemian Rhapsody being three minutes...

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »
I can't imagine Bohemian Rhapsody being three minutes...
Perfect comment.