Something's Coming (Dark Side of the Tune Entry)

• 34 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: October 21, 2017, 03:43:53 AM »
Here's my "Dark Side of the Tune" entry. I had a lot of fun with this. Instead of my usual guitar track and one to three vocal tracks, I went online and found some cool (to me, anyway) sound effects and experimented with them. Then I also experimented with some midi percussion and bass. Finally, I added a bit of a lyric and ended up with this. Well, something close to this. I posted it in "Works in Progress" and got a couple comments first and made a few adjustments. It could use a little more adjusting, but I haven't been home enough (and--in fact--am not home right now so don't have access to my recording computer). Anyway, if you feel moved to listen and comment, I'm more interested in feedback on my production as opposed to my usual "don't bother commenting on my production because I don't know what I'm doing". Other feedback is more than welcome, too, of course. Please be ruthless. It's the only way I can improve. ;D

https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/somethings-coming-demo

EDIT: Updated production--https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/somethings-coming-remix/s-k9gqg

Something's Coming

(Whispered: I'm scared. It's so dark.)
Something's coming. I can hear it.
Running, running. I'm so scared.
I can't see it. Where's the light?
Something's coming, in the night.

Can you hear it, can you hear it?
Howling, screaming, striking fear?
Something's coming, something's coming
After me.

Something's coming. I can feel it.
Shivers running up my spine.
I can't see it, but I feel it.
Something's coming in the night.

Can you hear it, can you feel it?
Howling, screaming, striking fear.
After me.

After me.

After me.

(Whispered: It's so dark.)

Copyright 2017 Vicki Morrison
All Rights Reserved
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 06:47:19 AM by CaliaMoko »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
It was scary until you started singing..your voice is just too nice to scare anyone...and you don't sound scared!!
otherwise it's a fine effort..it would maybe be more scary and darker if you whispered the song with a sort of cave like reverb on the whisper...or added an effect to the voice..maybe a telephone effect as if you were calling someone because your scared.... :) :) lyrics definitely work though :) :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:50:44 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 10:18:37 AM »
Hi Vicki,

Great intro.
Spooky atmosphere.
I think the production works well - gives a shrouded in fog sort of feel.
Shadow says your voice is too nice - which is true - but for me your delivery has a sort of sinister innocence - a bit like you get in the original Wicker Man film.

Liked the vocal melodies.
Works for me.

Digger

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:05:31 PM »
Hey Vicki,

Reading your description, I wasn't sure what to expect at all.. but how magnificent this is! And thoroughly spooky!

I think your voice suited well to a spooky edge, those winding melodies float around so elegantly! "Shivers running up my spine" was simply enthralling.

Hit the remit and plus some for me; great scary music, spooky vocals, tense story. I like this experimentation, I hope you keep it up because you've got a knack blending those effects and midis.

Wasn't expecting the scream at all! :'D

Very enjoyable listen, cheers for sharing!

All the best,
Scott.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
Yo Vicki.

This is one of those childhood things that's supposed to be good,but...like clowns and Satan Claws.. :o

We KNOW the truth.  :o

Excellent work.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 12:59:32 PM »
That was great. I loved all the scary sounds. I got a fairy tale "good witch" vibe from your voice. Loved the atmosphere you created. Took me into the forest on an autumn night.

Lynn

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »
 (Spoiler alert)

Omg I damn near shat myself at 1.45!

In terms of pure shock value this is the best entry so far by a mile, it's atmospheric too. Great use of effects and a chillingly timeless fairy tale type story. Perhaps we will never know what it was that was coming, but whatever it was it was as scary as hell.

Great entertainment Vicki.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »
This is excellent Vicki and I applaud you're experimentation. I can see that you've been hard at work with Reaper  :) It's great fun working with sound effects, sometimes they can make a huge difference and really add atmosphere to a song  ;D

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
@Kevin:
It's hard to feel bad about a crit that says my voice is "too nice"! :D It never occurred to me to try a telephone effect. I like that idea and plan to give it a try. Thank you!

@Digger:
Thank you for the complimentary words. And now I have to find out what the Wicker Man film(s) is. Err, are? ;D

@Scott:
Oh, I think I love you! Thanks for the awesome feedback! But if you have any suggestions for improvement, I'd love to hear them, too.

@Davy:
Yes, we do, don't we??? !! Rowr! >:(  ;D

@Lynn:
That's kinda what I was looking for. Glad that's what you got from it. Thanks so much!

@Micky:
LOL! So glad you liked it that much! Scary is definitely what I was going for!

@John:

Thanks, John! Your hints and tips for working with Reaper have been very helpful! It has been a lot of fun putting this together. Although somewhat grueling at times, as well.  :)

Thanks, everyone for listening! I appreciate it muchly indeed!

Vicki

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »

Hi Viki,

Great song.  Thought you mixed it really well.
 I certainly got the message ;D ;D

The only suggestion would be the 'character' of the vocal.
 It needs a bit of dirt/grit.  Have you got a growl ?  It's too
 nice/gentle.  On the other hand, you could go the other way
 and make it choral...gregorian maybe.  That might suit 'dark'
 better.....just some thoughts.  ;D

Love it  ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »
Hi Vicki,

a classic 50s ballad sung by a banshee, definitely a good thing for me.

You did a very fine job with the production.

Good luck in the competition.

Keith

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
I think it has a sweet edgey-ness and there is a good use of sound effects with a gallic banshee feel of wild bogs and mist - very off the wall and would not be out of place in a filmtrack.
Great stuff.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »
Good first production Vicki. 

I would have omitted the guitar as I don’t think it compliments the song. Perhaps an organ, electric piano or string sound would have been better. 

Reverb has been used to good effect on your vocal with this production.  There is a noticeable difference between this version and the work in progress version.   I would ease of this effect a little as it can at times, make the vocal disappear into the distance. Overall it helps the production tremendously.  The song is very short.  I would have liked it to evolve into something much bigger.  Maybe that is something you will explore over time. 

The effects are ideal for the dark side brief. Good luck in the competition with this song Vicki.

Paul

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »
Hi! I really enjoyed it, the atmosphere, the whispers, the lyric.
Great song and easy to listen to.
Mora  :)
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 06:28:40 PM »
Hi Vicky
great to hear some new directions and experimentation from you. I do like the way you sing the melody, really brings more life than the bare words.

For me the vocal was a little quiet and sort of muffled... Not sure if you were going for a distant effect but I would probably process it a bit less - the whispering sounded very clear in contrast.

But a great production and lots of interest - and definitely dark!