Something's Coming (Dark Side of the Tune Entry)

• 34 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 02:52:35 PM »
Hi Vicki,

Nice to hear something a little experimental from you. I thought the drum/cymbal was too much - it really started to annoy me very quickly but other than that, I liked the sound palette you chose. It's not a scary track - there is no menace as such but this approach is more unsettling in a strange way. I could do with the vocals much further up in the mix and as others have said, some effects to add some grit and threat.

Nice one

M

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 11:49:03 PM »
Opening chimes with those animal noises, very dark and unsettling! Loving the melody and effects on this. The synthy/chugging/generator noise at the end is brill. (What was it??) The upward melody on the second line of the verses is really nice. Lovely vocals and strong lyrics as always, mrs.  Plus a rather nice bit of piano too. Isn’t it cool how you can take quite a beautiful noise - like twinkly percussion and a piano - and make them seem twisted and sinister. Dark indeed.
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
Vicki,
Good to hear your branching out pretty successfully too. The atmospheric intro and outro do what they need to but I was really intrigued by the song itself especially vocals and melody of the 'chorus' That the Can you hear it, can you feel it? part. It had real energy and joyful traditional folk feel and to me if I'm being really honest should be developed into a full song. The tremeloed guitars and backing vocals are good too.
Too much wet reverb on your voice, which is a wonderful thing and shouldn't be shrouded to such an amount.
Hope these help
 :)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »
Builds a good atmosphere from the start...very folk singer vocals which are nice....oh, aren't they supposed to be?!

Crikey that was short Vicki...added to the scary moment feel that it didn't drag on though...this one really fits the bill of the comp and sure to tickle the fancy of some of the voters for that.

Just read the other reviews and Digger coins a good phrase with 'sinister innocence' which helps me with my comment on your nice vocal...and the Wicker Man reference is good....that closing sequence...the film not your song!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
Hi vicky

I heard this a few times in the WiP section and it's great to hear a final version.

I really admire how you challenged yourself with a high production song and I think you've done a great job. It certainly suits the theme and this finished mix feels dark and spooky. It's great work Vicki!! Well done

All the best

Darren