konalavadome

Something's Coming (Dark Side of the Tune Entry)

• 34 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »
Just caught up with this one, Vicki...it’s brilliant!

Eerily atmospheric and generates a real sense of foreboding.

I think the vocal suits perfectly...it’s when we realise that beauty IS the beast that the real fear will hit us.

Fantastic...I think this will do really well in the competition  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »
@binladeda:
Thanks! Great ideas. Unfortunately, I have no growl in my voice. I've never been able to do that. :( When I try, it hurts my throat. The Gregorian chant idea sounds intriguing, though....

@Keith:
Thanks, Keith! I'm a prisoner of my past. I only seem to be able to produce material that hearkens back to the fifties and sixties. Sometimes maybe a little seventies....

@Morefrog:
Awesome! That's pretty much what I was going for! ;D Thanks!

@"Wicked Deeds" Paul:
I did wonder about the guitar, but I'm not ready for the next step in production. It would have been considerably more stress for me to figure out how to midi an organ in there. Although, I do have a keyboard that will simulate a variety of organ sounds....I might eventually see what I can do with that. Finessing reverb is a work in progress for me. I don't really understand what the settings mean, so I'm kinda shooting in the dark there. And I, too, would have liked this to go on a bit longer, but I couldn't think of anything more to add. It might happen eventually, though.

@Mora:
Thanks a bunch; I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've been trying to get to one of your posted songs, but I don't have enough bandwidth to watch videos, so it's a challenge. I'll manage eventually, though.

@Adam:
Thanks for the observation comparing the whispers and sung vocals. I hadn't thought about the contrast in terms of distance. More practice for me!

@Paul:
Thank you for your optimism and compliments. I'm actually quite blown away by all the positive feedback. I have been regarding this piece as basically rubbish. I like to think I'm a good, objective judge of my own work...but then...I also would like to think that everyone is giving me their honest opinions.... ;D

Thank you to everyone for listening. I appreciate it a great deal.

Vicki

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »
Hi Vicki,

If you'd like me to add a few bells and whistles.  Send me a personal message and I will dress this up further. Nothing too exciting, just a few additions.

Best

Paul

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 10:43:12 PM »
Hello Vickie
I'm late to the party here but enjoyed this too.  Especially the intro and the spooky backing vocals there. I enjoyed all the sound effects but didn't think they needed to disappear completely in the middle of the song, it was a bit of a 'sound effects sandwich' at the minute but maybe if you just mixed them right down in the middle part it would stitch the sections together a bit more.
The vocal melody was really interesting.  It sounded sort of 'medieval' to me, a bit like part of a madrigal or something.  Maybe Binladeda was tapping into something similar with the Gregorian Chant suggestion.  I think that historical vibe suits this topic well... spooky music from another time.
Great work!
It's all too beautiful.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »
Hi Vicky,

Started off with the scary theme with the samples, Think someone else mentioned maybe a more sinister vocal would have sat better, think this one was a bit bouncy, Lyrics fit well, Like the double you have on the lead vocal...

Mix was cool, for me the samples a little loud and a bit of reverb and delay to make them a little more dark may have helped

But I gather you are on the DAW learning curve, if so, this is a great mix, keep up the good work.

Cheers

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 01:54:56 AM »
@Paul:
PM has been sent.

@Paulyx:
You know, I did wonder about the "sandwich effect". It sounded too busy to me with the sound effects running all the way through, so I faded them out at the beginning of the vocal and back in at the end. I'll have to try mixing them down low but not totally gone. Or maybe a little wind, chime, or wolf howl could flare up here and there.

Andy:
Thanks for the hints. I will play with the effects when I can. I was concerned they might be too loud or something.

Thanks all for listening. I appreciate it very much.

Vicki

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 02:14:37 AM »
Hi Vicki

Well I loved this  ;D ;D
Great effects start and finish and the vocals reminded me of the old movie "The Innocents" which we just watched again last week. Love that melody that jumps up at the end of the lines - excellent!

The best I've heard you yet and you've had some good stuff  ;D

This will do well I predict.
Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »
Hi Vicki,

I've finished my production of this.  Please check your messages.

thanks,

Paul

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »
Hi

I love your voice in this, and especially how you move the melody around over vowel sounds - sca-aa-aa-rd, and ni-i-i-ight for example.

That said, I was struggling to hear the words at times - e.g. compare how quiet "after me" is versus "up my spine". Not saying you want to squash all the dynamics, but with this much reverb, you probably need to use compression a bit more. Also, I would like the kick drum to have a bit more "thump".

Great song, and with a couple of small tweaks, it will be even better IMHO.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 06:46:25 AM »
@Paulski:
Oh, another movie to check out. I don't think I'm familiar with The Innocents. And thank you for your optimistic prediction and lavish praise! :D

@Bill:
Thank you for the suggestions and the compliments. I have a new version that may take care of the trouble hearing the words and the overly dynamic dynamics. ;D

Paul aka Wicked Deeds:
Thank you for your generous offer to work on the production. I have just now uploaded the result. You can find it at https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/somethings-coming-remix/s-k9gqg.

I think it's an improvement over both the other versions. I have more ideas to continue to improve it, but this will have to do for the "Dark" challenge.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »
Had a listen to the improved version, very impressed.

Your production has definitely taken a leap while I've been away.

I thought this song worked well, I particularly liked the ascending descending run in the melody.

I agree with the comment about dirtying up your vocal would add to the atmosphere.

The only other thing I might try, but might not work, is a slightly detuned or rougher sounding piano sample. To give it that eerie, old abandoned piano sound.

Good stuff Vicki.

Yodasdad

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »
Yes, just listened to the updated version - great stuff!

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
Haunted feeling, gives me goosebumps. I listened to the first version a few days back but did not get around to posting, but I think the new mix is better. You vocals sit much better in it now.

Nice entry for the competition. :)

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

Cmerk

• Busker
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 10:45:23 PM »
Hi - Lots of fun, dark stuff in this! Sound effects were cool, especially the chimes. The bass sample sounded a little out of tune but maybe that was intentional? I’m one for avoiding repetition in arrangements, and use things like the cymbal crash sparingly. I’m not sure where I stand on the sweet quality of your voice in a dark piece, but I think it worked well. Hope to hear more of your stuff!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 08:17:36 AM »
I think you've done a great job with the production of this track Vickie. Good for you to experiment with something new. You've managed to create a really scary feel especially in the intro and outro :o
I think you could extend the song by adding some of the scary effects in the middle somewhere, but I like it as is too. I like the effects on your voice, but if they were a little more in your face, I think it could be even more effective. :o Great entry and good luck :)