konalavadome

Something that might not have an answer but still worth asking

• 12 Replies

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« on: October 18, 2017, 09:42:36 PM »
Hi Songwriters. (my first post here, like what you did with the place)

I'm not native English speaker but I write in other 2 languages.

My current writing technique/tool is Google Doc with one of  Thesaurus plugins for rhymes.

In my 2 other languages, I find it easy to rhyme specific word types (verbs in one, adjectives in another)

When I'm writing in English I tend to get to the end of the lines with random word types/functions and finding a rhyme becomes difficult or even impossible which slows down the process and confuses me.

My question is:
1. What word types are best for Rhyming in English
2. What is the tolerance limit? (Example in my 2 other languages the rhymes need to be perfect - so Storm and Prom would not be tolerated a rhyme in any situation)

Thanks!
Have a great day!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:38:39 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum

I would say any words can be rhymes in English

The biggest "trap" you may fall in to is writing in "Yoda speak" to make a rhyme fit

E.g.
As the man walked in to the flat
It was on the floor he sat

The word order in the second line doesn't feel right - younwould naturally say "he sat on the floor"

I think this is more dependent on genre than anything else

Some genres work better with "perfect" rhymes - e.g. Musical theatre

If you are writing in a more contemporary/modern style "perfect rhymes" can sound a little "twee" or cliche

An "imperfect" rhyme at the end of lines often sounds more natural / conversational

Internal rhymes (i.e. rhymes within lines at times) often work really well to add some interesting "spice" and flow to your lyrics - this can be alliteration, assonance, or rhymes

Hope this helps
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

2tuoo

• Open Mic
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 07:23:44 AM »
Thanks!

I reviewed some of my songs, yoda speak found :)
Have a great day!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:50:18 AM »
Ah - Yoda speak found you did

It is very common and probably the biggest trap for those starting out with lyric writing
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 05:57:49 PM »
Hi,
Whilst a consistent rhyming scheme is helpful it need not be slavishly followed. Try writing a song without rhymes that is hard in any native tongue...
  :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

2tuoo

• Open Mic
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:50:18 AM »
What's a song without rhymes?
Is that prose?
Have a great day!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »
What's a song without rhymes?
Is that prose?
No. A song isn't defined as a song merely because of the rhymes. It's the rhythm and structure too. Prose is more un-structured text, just sentences and paragraphs. You could, however, make it rhyme, but it still wouldn't be a song.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Oldbutyet

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »
Hi Songwriters. (my first post here, like what you did with the place)

I'm not native English speaker but I write in other 2 languages.

My current writing technique/tool is Google Doc with one of  Thesaurus plugins for rhymes.

In my 2 other languages, I find it easy to rhyme specific word types (verbs in one, adjectives in another)

When I'm writing in English I tend to get to the end of the lines with random word types/functions and finding a rhyme becomes difficult or even impossible which slows down the process and confuses me.

My question is:
1. What word types are best for Rhyming in English
2. What is the tolerance limit? (Example in my 2 other languages the rhymes need to be perfect - so Storm and Prom would not be tolerated a rhyme in any situation)

Thanks!

Post your songs/lyrics the written words keep changing you know what i mean.

2tuoo

• Open Mic
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 06:40:43 AM »
Thanks, everybody!

From what I read so far - there is no clear consensus on word types. For me, that means that everything is legitimate in English rhymes so I'll feel less awkward when writing from now on :)

I'll look into song with no rhymes, maybe this is a challenge worth taking on regular basis
Have a great day!

Laptop Philharmonic

• Busker
    • laptopphilharmonic.bandcamp.com
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
Yes, it's not really about types of words. For me, the most important thing is always "does this sound weird if I read I say it?"

The Yoda speak thing is a good example of it not sounding right when you read it out, but there are other ways things can end up being weird, like if you have to emphasise the wrong syllable to make it rhyme. For example:

I like apples, that's just me
I think apples are tasty

The last syllable of "tasty" rhymes with me, but it sounds all wrong when you sing it, because when speaking the word "tasty", the emphasis is always on the first syllable, not the last.

Another thing I'd suggest avoiding are the clichés that pop up everywhere. Rhyming "to" with "do" or "you". Rhyming "girl" with "world". But maybe that's a matter of taste  :)
Search "Laptop Philharmonic" on Spotify, iTunes etc. or visit:
laptopphilharmonic.bandcamp.com

Johnnyuk

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 08:18:21 PM »
Hi,
When i write a song i don't look to rhyme in order to get the lyrics that i need for whatever song it is. The driving force for my lyrics is always the songs message. I try to stay true to that at all times. With each lyric line that i write i try to point at my songs title. Sometimes you can't always do that with each line so a few lines down is still ok. The more you remind the listener of the title of your song ( without actually saying the title until the chorus kicks in) the stronger the song IMO.
I hope this helps.
Johnny :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 10:29:20 PM »
Rhyming in such a powerful tool for songwriters.  When it's done well, it is so admirable and effective. 

When I write, I think about what Jimmy Webb once said "songwriters are the Swiss watch makers of literacy". We can all try to live up to Webb's description.  I guess he means that we are communicating strong emotions, painting pictures with words.  The skill is doing so within a short space of time,  often 2:30 minutes to 3:30 minutes.  The  songs that I admire, deliver their message and emotion with the use of rhymes but the rhymes are carefully pondered and used only when they enhance the story -telling.  Songwriting is for me, about adhering to structures crafting the lyrics meticulously, observing a strict number of syllables to deliver a message that is never compromised. If you don't feel that you've achieved your goal within that framework, then go back again to make sure that's you do. Throw your initial idea out and craft a new message that is as effective as the first that you struggled to communicate  within the framework that you have available.  That's how I interpret the words of Jimmy Webb.  A beautifully crafted song can't be thrown together.  It is like a Swiss watch!

Paul

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 08:31:51 AM »
Very interesting topic, I always learn so much from here, with rhymes I like to rhyme the ending word with one in another place, by extending or contracting the line with the next rhyme, maybe like this...

I would love this line to rhyme
but it neither the time, nor the place
I'd give anything to see your face again
but then really, I'll be fine

I don't know what this technique is called but to my ear, it makes things more interesting, yet glued together with rhymes, and having a powerful,underlying message.

hope this helps

cpm