konalavadome

new life

• 5 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: October 16, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
I've had a song on my hard drive for such a long time.  I feel that it's worthwhile but there are one or two things that aren't quite right.  I've recently changed the drums and added orchestral instruments and I'm starting to enjoy this old/new song.  I usually record and move on but now think that there is great mileage in doing something like this.  Hs anyone else revisited ol songs?

Paul
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:51:33 PM by Wicked Deeds »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
Absolutely. Sometimes I get totally stuck...or I sort of finish but without really liking what I finally managed to put together. If I go back, especially a long time later, like even years, it's all new. Kind of. I'll get completely new and different (and hopefully better) ideas. Sometimes, though, I discover there's something really good in the original and I have trouble believing I actually came up with that myself!

I have one I'm planning to go back to soon, in fact. I found it, was almost amazed by what I had written so far (so much so that I looked up the original inspiration, thinking I must have copied it--I didn't), and decided it needs to be finished. So I'll be working on it again. I started it a couple years ago or so.

I'm looking forward to hearing your old/new song! :)

Vicki

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
As my skill base using a daw improves,I find I sometimes go back and tweak details in older songs,but generally new ideas take priority. It can also help perspective if you leave a song alone for a period,fresh lugs and all that.  :)

Anyway,when Bin reads your post Paul,he think you have too much time and he'll nuke your inbox!  :D

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 03:52:28 PM »
Totally!
I havent recorded anything seriously in a year maybe more...but I have at least a dozen songs written down, partially recorded or snippets. Ive been having a hard time completing anything.
I am now getting back into it all and starting to get the 'bug' and I feel like I am about to be able to complete/rework plenty of this stuff now.

I rarely revisit completed recordings though...

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
Revisiting old productions is a first for me. I've enjoyed dressing an old, never before shared song but I kind of feel guilty as if I shouldn't be doing that.  I've created something a little darker, perhaps more serious for a song called 'The Boy From Mars'.  The hardest part is a realisation that I don't really feel the same way as i did when I first wrote the song.   

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 06:22:43 PM »
Yes  :)

I recently re-recorded an albums worth of old songs...just to finally have versions I was fairly happy with. It made me think that I’d like to nail all of my half-decent songs down for posterity, as I’ve been writing/recording stuff and moving on without really having taken enough care over the recording of them.

Having said that...lots of people here seem to be far more advanced and meticulous in their recording/production than I am, so I’m sure the idea won’t appeal to everyone.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter