Sweet Lou (Mr Skub collab)......Dark side comp. entry

• 25 Replies

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:44:47 PM »

Hi,

A tribute to Mr. Lou Reed.  Someone who was certainly in touch with his dark side.
 I saw him a couple of times.  One memorable occasion was a small festival near St. Louis.
 The type of festival where the Hell's Angels came around for contributions to their beer fund ;D
 It was early 70's and he was with the Velvet Underground.  It was terrible  ;D ;D  They
 were so wasted........could hardly stand up and speak, let alone sing.  Yet it was memorable,
 and I was young.  So it didn't matter.......

Anyway, needless to say I'm a big fan, and thought it would be nice to do a tribute using a mash up
 of as many references as we can get from his songs, and still produce a 'meaningful' and
 respectful piece.  The chords are loosly based on the classic Sweet Jane riff, and there are a lot
 of References in the lyrics.  Got to say, I think Skub has done a tremendous job with the lyrics.
 and his vox is right on message......just perfect ;D ;D

Ok,  here 'tis.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do....

Skub.  Lyrics/vocal/guitar/mix, and things I don't know about ;D
  Oh...patience and generosity in abundance  ;D
 Me.  Demanding/Arrogant/Condescending/Rude, and things I don't know about
  Oh....some bass and some drums and some guitar

https://soundcloud.com/binladeda/sweet-lou

There is a beauty which arises
From decadence and decay
Taste the whip not given lightly
Everyone will have their say

Deep,dark Berlin
Pain and joy blend
Can you question all those terrible things
And still need faith in the end?

Wild side songs,Underground friends
A media frenzy feed
Both a hero and a villain
Sweet Lewis Alan Reed

A rock n' roll animal
You do because you can
No sanitised pop star
Still waiting for their man

Deep,dark Berlin
Pain and joy blend
Can you question all those terrible things
And still need faith in the end

Thanks for listening guys..and good luck in the comp.  ;D
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 11:01:57 PM »
Well it definitely sounds like Lou Reed. It's quite loose, and could easily pass for an early Velvets demo. I can hear Sweet Jane in there. So a decent tribute all in all. I'm so jealous you got to see them live, I think that's tainted my ability to review this! I was a teenager when I first heard a Velvets song. Heroin. up until that point I'd been listening almost exclusively to Queen! Heroin totally blew me away. Never realised music could be so dark raw and powerful. Thanks for rekindling those memories. I'm going to put the Nico album on now....

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:13:11 PM »
That's a real beauty guys and I also spent many smokey nights listening to Lou and the Velvet Underground in a state of herbal intoxication but those songs have been my favourites all my life. A great authentic tribute. I luuuuuurve it

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:47:21 AM »
Dunno much about Mr Reed but as a song this stands on it's own as a fine piece, definitely captures the Reed mood (going by what I saw after checking him out on YT)

A fine collab guys!! :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 10:30:22 AM »
Hi Bin and Skub,

took me back to hearing Transformer for the first time. You've definitely got that sweet vibe he achieved sometimes.

Not sure how dark it is though, but definitely a great tribute.

Keith

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 02:05:46 PM »
Very very nice it is, too  :)

Lou Reed fell into the "give your head a shake" category for me, I'm afraid..but this is lovely.

A fine collaboration...the guitar work is so great...it could have been either of you  :)

Tip Top!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:32:45 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

exfairy

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »
As someone not familiar with Lou Reed's music (millennial here yep), I still quite enjoyed this! I love the "du du di du du" bits :)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »
Wow, you guys totally nailed this. Nice references to his vibe, without going over the top. Funny, he just made a cameo in one of our songs as well. Really liked it.

Lynn

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »

nice collab chaps
really nice gtr parts bin..turn it up..
the 'do do doos' ..great touch
excellent thoughtful lyric ..an you got the vocal and his slight tremble mixed with a touch of celtic twang.. you can't hide it and hooray to that..
not that it matters but wasn't a big fan of the man.. 'rock n roll animal' was the only lou album i bought with a live high octane sweet jane, he had some great rock orientated players with him at the time..
couldn't handle the velvets as such except satellite of love ..
fab work

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »
I have to admit to being another who never really got into Velvet Underground or Lou R. Probably they suffered from being the ones making a transition that others later were able to take different places...

Anyhow, using fresh ears it's a very smooth listen, really like the riff which does have a sort of classic Americana sound to it. The laid back vocal definitely conveys something, maybe a "no regrets" Jonny Cash sort of image. The precise references are lost on me but there's enough there to paint a picture of someone looking back on a rock and roll lifestyle, even for me.

Very nicely recorded too - lots of clarity in the guitars especially. Nice work indeed.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »
It's always a pleasure to collaborate with bin. I enjoyed my part in implementing his original idea. He's an easy man to work with.  :)

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 04:43:31 PM »
Dudes,

Great tune, totally got the Lou Reed vibe,

I dont know many of his tunes only walk on the wild side....(better google that)

Lovely vibe on this though, guitar work and vocal is pro sounding, Nice harmonies and backing vocal too.

Loved it,
Great work to all involved.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:00:48 PM »
Yeah, this could have been the man himself, or a slightly more tuneful version of him at least.
Really liked it.  That lazy pace... those hypnotic guitars... sublime solo in the middle... nice sleepy vocals... the lyrics really take you places too.  Superb tribute guys.  Don't change a thing.
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »
I agree that Bin is such a lovely chap to work with. Now all you guys who haven't heard of Lou before, please check out some Velvet Underground. It might change the way you think about music

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 01:54:38 AM »
Not familiar with Mr. Reed or the velvet anything but this was a smooth listen.
Lovely guitar work and vox and laid-back vibe.
Get some minor chords in there if you want dark - but I enjoyed the listen as it is ;D ;D

Paul