konalavadome

Dirty Money (Darkside contest entry)

• 25 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great feedback  ;D

@Wolfini - cheers wolfini - yeah I need a rougher voice but I must be careful what I wish for.

@shadowfax - thanks Kevin - means a lot coming from your talented self.  ;D

@Yodasdad - hey yoda welcome back! Thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the midi slap bass - anything I can do on a keyboard I'll do  ;D ;D

@Wicked Deeds - thanks Paul. Agree about the mix - needs tweaking for sure. Any advice on that front would be welcomed  ;D

@Martinswede - cheers Martin. Yep - there's some competing stuff happening. Hopefully a bit more mixing will sort it out. Glad you liked the lyrics.

@ScottLevi - thanks Scott. Happy the intro worked for you. More work needed on the mix - these songs are damn demanding things aren't they?

@CaliaMoko - sorry I made you squirmish  ;D Thanks for the kind words.  ;D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »
Hi Paul,

As others have said, this is very different from you. I expected the famous Paulski piano. The strings riff is very infectious. I really liked the dirty guitar. Your vocals are sounding exceptional on this  :)

Great lyrics, this is a highly original and infectious piece of work  :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
Hi Paul,

This is the best song I've heard in the competition. That string riff that starts it off is genius. It has all your trademarks in the quality of your songwriting but the instrumentation is completely different and brilliantly done. Imaginative, clever and original with a great hard rock edge. If this doesn't win, I'll be amazed.

M

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
Everything about that was powerful. That string riff is killer. Your singing is great. No gripes from me.

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
Really compelling story telling. Dark and unsettling subject matter indeed, with a sad truth to the story. Karma always comes back to bite you, though. Glad he got his comeuppance, good and proper!
You've done a grand job with the music. Excellent intro. Strings and rock vibes are perfect, and the rocky edges to your vocals sound amazing. Brilliant stuff.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:48:41 AM by Cazrolina »
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
More thanks are due - sorry to bump  :(

@PaulyX - cheers Paul. Thanks for the nice comments. Yes that M8 section is a little out of time - I should fix that  ;D ;D

@diademgrove thanks Keith - I'll have to check out the Levellers now.

@adamfarr - Hi Adam - yeah they are string samples from freesound.org painstakenly pasted together. Glad you liked them. Thx for the kind comment on the lyrics. Think the raunchy guitar is a little LOUD in the mix - gotta revisit that.

@crystalsuzy - thanks suzy. Guess I'm a drama queen in disguise. appreciate the kind feedback  ;D Looking 4 ward to hearing your entry.

@PaulAds - thanks Paul - yep sometimes ya gotta get out of your comfort zone which I tried to do here. A dark challenge is a good motivator IMHCO. Maybe we'll all get happy again by xmas. ;D ;D

@Skub - I loved King Crimson back in the day  ;D Thanks for that!

@moraamarolaloba -  cheers Mora - very kind of you to say that  ;D ;D

@pompeyjazz John - you R 2 kind sir! ;D

@montydog - Alan - U R WAY 2 kind! Not sure I'm buying those strawberries about winning and all, but I appreciate the support!

@redrhodie - cheers for that - no gripes works for me  ;D

@Cazrolina - and thanks to you as well! - esp the comment about the vocals - gives me a much needed shot of confidence  ;D Hope it doesn't go to my head  ;D

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 08:54:38 PM »
Prog rock!

One of your most powerful lyrics...very good...makes a powerful song....and a strong hook/title.

So much going on here...like the guitar especially. Dramatic and dark...sure to do well in the comp.

Like the 'flattened' note you hit on 'for' at 3.08 and that nice guitar after...sets up that knockout outro very well.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 01:23:15 PM »
Hi Paul,

This is great.

Dramatic vocal that works brill. Delivers the lyrics with great passion.
Some quality music in there. Love the synth orchestral pieces.
Guitar rocked as well.
The production is really good.

Going to be tough to beat.

Digger

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »
Paul.
Good, powerful stuff.
Strong lyrics too.
Got hints of 70's AOR Styx with the acoustic on the intro - and then there an organ later on!
Like the driven guitar and hearing you rock our on the vocals too.
And when you go for it on the outro, its a bit Zeppy too
 :)
neil 

songwriter of no repute..

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for taking the time ;D ;D

@Viscount - thanks Ian - very kind of you. Glad you liked the lyric. BTW - any flattened notes are totally unintentional  ;D ;D

@digger72 - cheers digger !!

@Neil C - thanks Neil - hmm AOR - I'll have to google that. Ah the 70's - if only I could turn back time  ;D Appreciate the comment re the guitar - from one of the masters  ;D ;D

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »

hey Paul,

Progressive Paulski  ;D ;D. Nice to hear you go off piste a bit mate ;D
 and you do it so well....of course ;D. Reminded me a little bit of 13th floor  ;D

great song, and great comp. A lot of clever, interesting and entertaining songs
 this year.....and this is one of them. going to be a tough choice.

loved it...

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran