Grey Into White ft Neil Connor

• 13 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:14:19 AM »
Hello Peeps,

This is a long, slow downer of a song written when I was feeling down and low so that is music reflecting life I guess. Any redeeming musical features are all down to Neil Connor's wonderful electric guitar work. Boydie takes the credit for the mastering. I just turned up with my depressing song. I'm soooo sorry to inflict it on you but I had to let you hear Neil C's playing. All comments welcome, as ever.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/grey-into-white

Lyrics below:

A star falling to earth in mid winter
Blown out in a thousand points of light
Reminds me that nothing lasts for ever
And it's all moving out of sight

You know that I'm not a believer
Just reflections in a dark window pane
Then you looked at me for half of forever
 I turned my tired old face away again

I can't erase you from my memory
Can't fill the silence in the night
Or write a happy end to this story
And turn all this grey into white
Turn this grey into white

The wire, the wood and the distance
Weaken me like a wounded, running thief
Who steals everything he can't replace
While the crowd look on in disbelief

I'm wondering can you even hear me
Through the storm of words and the cries
I'm just a sinner seeking mercy
Who will pass by and by

I can't erase you from my memory
Can't fill the silence in the night
Or write a happy end to this story
And turn all this grey into white
Turn this grey into white

I've always known that I couldn't keep you
From the world that carries your name
I failed but I didn't mean to
And regret is a lonely, losing game.

There are days when time ticks backwards
I'm a child running to the fair
Neon lights, the barkers and the billboards
But there's never anybody there
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:50:11 AM by montydog »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:55:25 AM »
I don't have much feedback for this. I really, really, really like how the rhythm of the music complements the rhythm of the lyric so well. I like the chord progression; it feels so suitable to me. And, of course, Neil's guitar playing is great, as always. :)

That's all. No nits.

VIcki

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:25:42 AM »
Very pleasant song...nice guitar breaks, just a bit too long I thought. :) :)
liked the lyrics..thought they were quite special!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »
Yo monty and Neil.

Alan your voice on this track has laconic Lou Reed overtones/undertones,like sipping a peaty whiskey by a roaring fire on a cold windy night.

Lyrics are evocative,world weary and yet strangely,not without giving the listener a little ray of hope.

Sensitive and tasteful guitar work by Neil adds space and further emotion,it wears it's not inconsiderable almost 7 minutes very lightly.

As you would expect,Boydie's final polish does the overall song no harm at all.  8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »
Hi Monty and Neil - Yes, very melancholy. Good melody and structure and of course some fab guitar as you would expect

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:52:57 PM »
It's easy to read a lot into those lyrics. The sense of the passage of time, especially from the memory of the fair, and the sense of regret and loss are what stand out to me, and what I can empathize with. Very sincere feelings throughout.

Lynn

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 07:27:21 AM »
Lyrics are well up to your high standards - the thief and the fairground verses really spoke to me. I'm not sure whether he still believes grey into white might be possible, though he does seem to want to cling onto life if he can - that might be the melody and instrumentation (including Neil's super guitar) which if you'd made them darker could have given a really sinister feel.
Great old school country tinged vocal. Not too long for me at all.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:32:58 PM »
At first, I thought , leave the drums out then it dawned on me that they would be extremely effective if brought in with the guitar at “I’m wandering”.  When the drums arrive, make them prominent as they are sitting under the musical activity and they could be so much more effective.  The inclusion of strings sounds very cool.  I’d bring the piano or move it right down into the mix from the beginning.  The track improves ten-fold as the piano moves away from centre-stage as the song progresses.  Alan, I’m always impressed at how your songs are crammed with lyrics, giving the listener much to relate to.  I usually find a lyrical idea and keep it brief.  That’s a trademark feature of your writing and sure to appeal to many.  Lead guitar sounds cool as is a welcome addition to this song.  Nicely developed with backing vocals too.  Well done to all involved.

Paul

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »
Alan,
I feels like a couple of years ago when I first heard this. And you've really worked on the arrangement, I really like the vocals and your wife's bv's. Sounds proper now.
I remember redoing the solo many times trying to get the timing and changes from major/minor right, but sounds better ( my Paul Kossoff impression ) than it felt at the time.
Anyway its sounding stately, with the strings and things.
 :)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »
Hi Guys,

I could imagine Elvis singing this in his latter days.

I liked the downbeat nature.
Very good lyrics. Especially liked the last part:

Lovely guitar work.

Digger

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 11:00:46 PM »
Hey guys,

Well the lyrics are the champ for me on this one. They are beautifully written. The music & vocal is also very nice (especially the harmony) I love a downer song me, but it's just too long for my tastes.

Great stuff though!

Leo  ;D

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
There's a great Cohen-esque weariness to this.
I was captivated, yes it is long but I still didn't want it to end. I think you've done that Dylan thing with the lyrics... keeping the narrative weighty and fresh with each verse so you can get away with over 6 minutes and not bore the listener. Great guitar playing Neil too. And the backing vocals lend a beautiful swell to it. I wouldn't change anything.
It's all too beautiful.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »
Oh great, that's got my Sunday of to a depressing start!

Seriously, despite the subject matter I didn't find it depressing. The music was put together with your usual class and provided a lot of uplift.

I agree that the guitar work is very nice.

I shuddered a little when I saw 6:44 but honestly the song floated by nicely and didn't feel on the long side.

When I heard the intro I was expecting Elvis to make an appearance with a bit of Always On My Mind but instead I got something better, the creamy vocals of Alan Walker.

Nice.

Yodasdad

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »
Hi everyone,

This went down a lot better than I expected it to. I guess I had kind of fallen out of love with it so the positive comments came as a nice surprise.

Oh great, that's got my Sunday of to a depressing start!

Seriously, despite the subject matter I didn't find it depressing. The music was put together with your usual class and provided a lot of uplift.

I agree that the guitar work is very nice.

I shuddered a little when I saw 6:44 but honestly the song floated by nicely and didn't feel on the long side.

When I heard the intro I was expecting Elvis to make an appearance with a bit of Always On My Mind but instead I got something better, the creamy vocals of Alan Walker.

Nice.

Yodasdad

Hi Yodasdad - better than Elvis....err I don't think so but I appreciate your kind words about the song.

There's a great Cohen-esque weariness to this.
I was captivated, yes it is long but I still didn't want it to end. I think you've done that Dylan thing with the lyrics... keeping the narrative weighty and fresh with each verse so you can get away with over 6 minutes and not bore the listener. Great guitar playing Neil too. And the backing vocals lend a beautiful swell to it. I wouldn't change anything.

Paul - thank you for your lovely feedback, I really was not expecting people to like this song.

Hey guys,

Well the lyrics are the champ for me on this one. They are beautifully written. The music & vocal is also very nice (especially the harmony) I love a downer song me, but it's just too long for my tastes.

Great stuff though!

Leo  ;D

Thanks Leo. The harmonies are by my wife, Janine who does a lovely job. The song is way too long so I've edited down to 5 minutes and I think it is a little easier to swallow.

Hi Guys,

I could imagine Elvis singing this in his latter days.

I liked the downbeat nature.
Very good lyrics. Especially liked the last part:

Lovely guitar work.

Digger

I have endlessly listened to Elvis' later recordings for the past 40 years so something was bound to rub off! Gratifying that you liked the lyrics and of course Paul's playing which is sublime.

Alan,
I feels like a couple of years ago when I first heard this. And you've really worked on the arrangement, I really like the vocals and your wife's bv's. Sounds proper now.
I remember redoing the solo many times trying to get the timing and changes from major/minor right, but sounds better ( my Paul Kossoff impression ) than it felt at the time.
Anyway its sounding stately, with the strings and things.
 :)
neil

Thanks for the comments, Neil and thank you again for your superb input.

At first, I thought , leave the drums out then it dawned on me that they would be extremely effective if brought in with the guitar at “I’m wandering”.  When the drums arrive, make them prominent as they are sitting under the musical activity and they could be so much more effective.  The inclusion of strings sounds very cool.  I’d bring the piano or move it right down into the mix from the beginning.  The track improves ten-fold as the piano moves away from centre-stage as the song progresses.  Alan, I’m always impressed at how your songs are crammed with lyrics, giving the listener much to relate to.  I usually find a lyrical idea and keep it brief.  That’s a trademark feature of your writing and sure to appeal to many.  Lead guitar sounds cool as is a welcome addition to this song.  Nicely developed with backing vocals too.  Well done to all involved.

Paul

Hi Paul, Thank you for your suggestions - I think you are spot on with what you say. I tend to write too many lyrics I think just because I can but I'm trying to be more sparse in how I write.

Lyrics are well up to your high standards - the thief and the fairground verses really spoke to me. I'm not sure whether he still believes grey into white might be possible, though he does seem to want to cling onto life if he can - that might be the melody and instrumentation (including Neil's super guitar) which if you'd made them darker could have given a really sinister feel.
Great old school country tinged vocal. Not too long for me at all.

Thanks Adam - very perceptive analysis of the song.

It's easy to read a lot into those lyrics. The sense of the passage of time, especially from the memory of the fair, and the sense of regret and loss are what stand out to me, and what I can empathize with. Very sincere feelings throughout.

Lynn

Lynn - Thanks for listening and commenting and it's great that I managed to convey the emotions that I intended to you.

Very pleasant song...nice guitar breaks, just a bit too long I thought. :) :)
liked the lyrics..thought they were quite special!
Thanks for your kind words about the lyrics and yes, it is too long!

Yo monty and Neil.

Alan your voice on this track has laconic Lou Reed overtones/undertones,like sipping a peaty whiskey by a roaring fire on a cold windy night.

Lyrics are evocative,world weary and yet strangely,not without giving the listener a little ray of hope.

Sensitive and tasteful guitar work by Neil adds space and further emotion,it wears it's not inconsiderable almost 7 minutes very lightly.

As you would expect,Boydie's final polish does the overall song no harm at all.  8)

hello Skub - I think you summed it up pretty well - thank you.

I don't have much feedback for this. I really, really, really like how the rhythm of the music complements the rhythm of the lyric so well. I like the chord progression; it feels so suitable to me. And, of course, Neil's guitar playing is great, as always. :)

That's all. No nits.

VIcki

Thanks for listening and commenting, Vicki - always much appreciated.

Once again thanks to all who took the time to listen and comment. I promise I won't post anything that long and down again!

M