konalavadome

Catching Tuna

• 14 Replies

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« on: November 08, 2017, 05:14:48 PM »
Hello,

Something weird for the week ahead, a trip on a dark ocean to catch tuna. Play loud!

Lyrics:

Catching Tuna

Thanks for listening and any feedback,
Lynn and Keith

Listen to Faraway My Lovely and HSC: Catching Tuna by Hull Soul Collective #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/faraway-my-lovely-w-hsc-catching-tuna

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:17:59 PM »
I dig those drums and some of the proggy guitarwork.
Y'know I never knew fishing was so loud.
Not really a lot of content here, but I guess it's a mood piece, though it didn't place me on the sea. I got dragons instead of fish from it and there was menace and danger in there.
Maybe youve run aground on prog rock.
Interesting though, and I salute the posting of instrumentals.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:20:52 AM »
That was atmospheric. I could picture myself underwater in the second half, especially when those washy synths come in. A bit like a surf punk track played at the wrong speed - I liked it. The combination of voices on the vocals worked very well too.
It's all too beautiful.

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »
Superb Lyrics!

I like this kind of tracks, sets you in the zone.

I felt that the right stereo channel was louder than the other one, is that by design?
Have a great day!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »
Yo rerhodie.

Trippy,hippy and dippy.

Reminds me of hazy days listening to early Floyd/Soft Machine/Crimson while doing my bit researching pharmaceuticals.

Far out maaaan.. 8)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
Love this. Its a very clever piece of music - gripping right from the off. Is that the Flaming Lips i see in the background image on Soundcloud or is that your band?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 10:22:22 PM »
I've really enjoyed listening to you guys getting your collab stuff together and I can tell that you're enjoying it as well. There's something about collaboration that gives songs an extra oomph  :) Dark and atmospheric with some clever stuff going on. Definite prog feel.  I almost expected whispering Bob to pop out from the side of the stage to introduce this  ;D

Great work guys

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

The Flaming Lips played Hull and we took the photograph you see.

The only prog I've got in my collection is one King Crimson cd and a couple of Floyd albums. I though it sounded more like the Surfaris on mandrax (Quaaludes).

I didn't see it as being overly dark, more like a trip into my subconscious, weird but reassuring.

2tuoo, do you want the truth or the myth about the balance?

Thanks again,

Keith

2tuoo

• Open Mic
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 01:24:15 PM »
diademgrove  -- the myth please!
Have a great day!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 03:47:34 PM »
diademgrove  -- the myth please!

Its a rough night, the waves are 7 ft high and the shipping is starting to list to the right.

2tuoo

• Open Mic
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »
7 feet? Is that a lot?
Have a great day!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »
7 feet? Is that a lot?

It depends on how big the boat is. It's just over 2 metres I think.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
Hello Keith

This is not my thing at all so it's hard to be objective. It is atmospheric indeed and the guitar playing is great plus there is a weird organ type sound which I thought was spot on for the track. Other than that, it's not really a song as I understand it, more of an instrumental. Very hard to review on that basis as it lacks certain essential elements like a tune, structure and words. I am starting to sound like my old English teacher when he was marking my work!

M

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
Hello Keith

This is not my thing at all so it's hard to be objective. It is atmospheric indeed and the guitar playing is great plus there is a weird organ type sound which I thought was spot on for the track. Other than that, it's not really a song as I understand it, more of an instrumental. Very hard to review on that basis as it lacks certain essential elements like a tune, structure and words. I am starting to sound like my old English teacher when he was marking my work!

M

Thanks for the effort, Montydog. I'm sure Keith will weigh in, but I wanted to say that your post made me a little sad. Not because of what you wrote, but because of how much Dave and I changed Keith's song. I like what we added, but I loved his original version.

Keith made this to cheer me up as I've been dealing with some crazy stressful things, and his original version was hilarious. I'm not even English and I laughed. So I think you probably would have understood that version. If he agrees, and it's okay with the rules of the forum, I'll see if we can post the other one. I think you will see that a song doesn't need a lot of words to make you feel something. It's really brilliant.

Lynn

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:36 PM »
Hey hey

Must be one big tuna, can feel the grandeur coming through those strong drums! Super atmospheric and though I'm a fan of lyrics generally, this doesn't feel like it's missing them to me; has it's own thing going on.

Digging the production, there's some very nice sounds coming through really neatly and it's quite impressive control.

Nothing constructive to offer, but it's not really my space.

All the best,
Scott.