konalavadome

Golfing In The Algarve

• 14 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: October 31, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »
Have been really enjoying working on collabs recently but I don't seem to have posted one of my own tracks for a while.

This sort of appeared while I was waiting for stuff to appear in between collabs

No offence to anybody who enjoys the game, it's more aimed at those sort of blokes who you might unfortunately be sitting next to on a plane the next time you go on holiday  :)

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/golfing-in-the-algarve

Golfing In The Algarve

I remember standing on the landing
Maybe the way that you were standing
Purple dress was all a mess
You seemed real down
Then we ventured to the kitchen
Nobody was going to listen
About his tales of golfing trips
And drinking tales
A red wine spot on his Pringle top
Threw him in a rage
Glasses all before him in a storm as he wildly raged

That was me on the fifteenth tee
That was Mick and Terry watching me
We were truly wasted
Smashed out if our faces
Are you watching me
Golfing in The Algarve really suited me

I remember you grabbing the pitching wedge
And throwing it over the garden hedge
His plus fours on the brazier
With his professional custom woods
You grabbed your bag and took the car keys
Set the sat nav, revved the engine
Wheels spun on shiny gravel off into the night
The drinking games had taken their toll
He stumbled along the hall
And found the little note that was on the wall

That was me on the sixteenth green
Mick and Terry being quite obscene
Hotel was a palace, and remember easy Alice ?
That's the place to be
Golfing in The Algarve, that's the place for me

(c) Bradley - 2017

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »
Brilliant, original song set to a a fine musical production. The melody and harmony a very strong Pompey. Think you've just fired in a birdie! fantastic!

Paul

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:45:42 PM »
Great fun, although I do suspect you only wrote it to find a use for that picture.

Lyrically you tell an engaging story with your lyrics as usual.

It's difficult to suggest how I might improve this because I doubt I could write anything like it.

There is one thing though, At times I felt the bass line could do with a bit more movement (more than there already is). Maybe some more passing notes or walking phrases in to chord changes. In particular I thought in the space following the 15th tee and 16h tee lines the bass line should switch to bouncing about in contrast. My brain was anticipating this.

I'm being picky, so feel free to ignore as always, just thought this might enhance a good song even further.

Yodasdad

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »
This one's a good laugh ray-of-sunshine PJ.
I found the vocals a bit hard to discern in the mix, felt slightly muddy or over reverbed? Could you bring them out somehow, since the lyrics are strong?
Despite that it was a solid feel-good foot-tapper. Strong and simple melodies that are very sing-alongable. I could imagine an accapella breakdown section to it too, because of that.
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »
Sounds real fun to play and perform, great tempo and rhythm playing. The melody is full of life too and the accelerations and decelerations work well.

The story is good - nice little details take us there to the situation and make it feel real and empathetic.

I had one slight questionmark of the point of view of the telling though - in the verse it seems that "I" is the female partner's friend, while in the chorus it's the male golfer... Perhaps it's a mutual friend in the unenviable position of having to listen to both sides? Maybe a "he boasted" or something to lead us into the chorus could help? Could just be me getting hung up on details though...

But musically spot on and can hear it being a real singalong live.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »
very original lyrics mate and couched in a fine driving rhythmic backing track..hole in one for sure!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
I liked the energy of this song!

I think that the vocals could be brought forward a bit more, at some points they overlap in frequencies with the rhythm guitar which creates a certain resonance. (one of the examples is at 3:10)

the instrumental work is really great, I like it when instruments have a presence of their own rather being background.
Have a great day!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »
Hi,

Loved the lyrics - very funny and witty. Great vocals again and a great, clean production. I could really picture these scenes in my mind. I thought the bass playing was excellent, BTW:-)

Nothing I would change.

M

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
Great stuff John! Really enjoyed this - great funky danceable music and awesome lyrics and vocal!

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »
Great intro. Awesome how you then suddenly morph it into that pub drinking song backbeat rhyhthm.

I did not understand the ending, though. Is the last chorus what is written on the note? That somehow does not make sense to me... However you have told a full story with not so many words. Nice writing there!

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 08:46:53 PM »
Yo pomps.

FORE!!!

Cool and amusing lyrics,simultaneously fun and yet carry a strong message.

The punky/new wave drives like a steam train and delivers the goods a day early!

Does Bin know you are freelancing,John?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 10:55:50 PM »
Hey Skub, I've been trying to get into Barry White mode which is pretty difficult especially if you're 10 stone  ;D

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 01:59:10 PM »
Hey John.

Really love this song. Its right in the sweet spot for my personal tastes. A little bit punky, lots of flavours of 90s indie bouncy stuff too. Love the title/concept, and the lyrics have a lot of depth when you think them through. I really like the guitar riffs and the way the riffs play off each other in the mid sections of the song. This track would be amazing live.

The standout is the guitar and drums. Picking up on Yodas point, im a big fan of movement in bass in general. I think it applies to any song that has a lively guitar and rhythm and many of my own tracks would also benefit.

The vocal melodies are fine, but if you ever revisit the song, i would experiment with different vocal interpretations as i think the structure of the song supports multiple melodic possibilities.

This is the kind of song i would like my own band to cover. Cheers, Micky

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
good;

is it rock n roll?

not my genre but it sounds great ; i espeacally like the vocal melody around 1:24 - very good; and beautiful.
I think; on the vocals; you should turn them down a little and use some more compression - they stick out a little unnaturally; no big deal though.

I admire u guys; how u use the words -

cheers B

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
Golf what a crazy game, who thought that one up?  But then WTF whoever thought up watching it?? 

Yeah I like stuff where the  spontaneity's  still intact and not cleaned up, and this had a real loose feel  like youd done it quick. Gives it a certain appeal, and mirrors the protagonists who all appear to be totally sauced. 
I liked the lyric a lot, it appeared to be a bit of a drunken ramble about Brits abroad getting drunk and rambling, yeah and swinging clubs and wearing crazy trousers. How did you guys ever conquer the world?

Dude you could really improve your guitar playing with a bit of finger vibrato IMHO. Try it, it makes you sound pro.
Nice work dude, song's got good vibes and singability.